View Full Version : Sterling Road Race

SheFly
05-13-2007, 07:22 AM
3 laps
24 miles
1 BIG hill
25 starters
Finished 4th

Sterling was the first road race I ever did, probably about 10 years ago. I wasn't into riding road bikes back then - I was a mountain bike hacker out to see what I could do. I remembered a big hill in the course, but until today, had forgotten just how miserable that hill could be.

Our team had ten women taking the start - almost half of the field! Five of our team were even racing in their first road race ever. Before the start of the race, we met discussed how everyone was feeling and what their goals for the race were. Based on that discussion, I gave each team member a specific job during the race. I was SO EXCITED when they executed those tasks perfectly in the first lap, and then afterwards as well. Way to go team!
The race started with a 2 mile neutral roll out. My teammates took the front of the pack, and controlled the pace all the way up through the first hill climb (making some of the other racers a little nervous that we were going to try to block and control for the entire race - it was great fun listening to them trying to figure out what we were up to!). After the first hill climb, the race was on and the speed picked up, although the pack really stayed together.

Then came the hill. While it didn't seem so bad the first time up (because we were neutral and still not racing), it was a bear to try and sprint up the hill as I followed an attack from anaother team. Two riders managed to get a break with another two in a chase group (including a teammate of someone in the break), and then me. I literally talked myself into latching on to the chase group, but we were quickly swallowed by the next group on the road, and spent the better part of the remainder of the lap chasing the breakaway. As I looked around me during the chase, I realized that all of my teammates had fallen off on the attack, and I was working on my own.

Once the break was caught, several of us tried to get all of the group working together, but not really to any avail. It was quite frustrating that many in the group didn't know how to paceline, and would literally push you off of your line. In some places it got downright scary, with one rider making very sudden maneuvers across the pack at 37 mph!

Coming into the final sprint up the hill, I had actually positioned myself near the front of the group to try to have a good start up the hill. Little did I know that one of the teams with two riders in our group had formed an alliance with two other single riders, so that when their go-to gal went, the remaining three riders rode completely across the pack, blocking anyone from following. I was literally trapped until we turned the corner! As we sprinted up the hill, I picked off the woman in third and was pretty happy about that. Suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, however, came another woman from our group who surged past me. I could hear other riders behind and dug as deep as I could to cross the line in 4th place - a really good finish for me!

I must admit, however, to not meeting my goal for the race. At our team meeting, I told everyone that my goal was to win. Of course to do that, I also couldn't do the usual amount of work on the front that I am known for, and would have to race a much smarter race. I did achieve that part of the goal, managing to sit about 8th wheel for most of the race. I may not have won, but I was VERY happy with my result, and proud of the performance of the team overall.

Bring on Sunapee! Maybe I am a hill climber after all ;-).

SheFly

Eden
05-13-2007, 04:10 PM
that sounds like a great result! Not all hillclimbers are little :p
btw - we consider blocking to be bad sportsmanship out here and even though we often have the numbers to do it (13-15 team members in a race) we do not condone it! Now mentally messing with a chase group and not working to chase down your own teammates, different story.

RoadRaven
05-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Great description of the race, SheFly
I always find it interesting to read about the tactics, and the thinking...
Well done on a race well-ridden and well-finished

SheFly
05-14-2007, 06:42 AM
that sounds like a great result! Not all hillclimbers are little :p
btw - we consider blocking to be bad sportsmanship out here and even though we often have the numbers to do it (13-15 team members in a race) we do not condone it! Now mentally messing with a chase group and not working to chase down your own teammates, different story.

Thanks, Eden! I've been practicing the hill climbs ;) .

The block at the finish was unbelievable! Strategically very smart, but also frustrating for those caught behind. I think I have been marked by some of the other women racers, and they are doing what they can to try and shut me out... Not sure how to overcome that.

My other challenge is that my teammates got dropped 1/3 of the way into the race, so I was really on my own. I'm trying to recruit a couple of stronger Cat 4 racers so I will have some help though.

Last year was my first year of racing, and for me, it was all about power. This year, I'm trying to race smarter, not harder ;) .

SheFly

Eden
05-14-2007, 07:24 AM
Thanks, Eden! I've been practicing the hill climbs ;) .

The block at the finish was unbelievable! Strategically very smart, but also frustrating for those caught behind. I think I have been marked by some of the other women racers, and they are doing what they can to try and shut me out... Not sure how to overcome that.
Wellll - I wouldn't say blocking is smart, its really frowned upon around here as at best unsportswomanly, at worst cheating.... There are some things you can do, as long as you aren't outright strung across the road, that if the other people aren't paying attention can work well. Like having one teammate let a gap form so that one or two others can roll off the front. Slowing the pace in a chase group if you are let get to the front (you don't stop another team from coming up and picking up the pace, but if they let you slow it down then its their mistake!). Having such a large team we try to be very careful that we don't ever get accused of using blocking as a tactic. As far as getting through a block... that's a tough one. Look for spots that the road gets wider and try to get around, if you can do it safely sometimes gaps open when people are anticipating a corner (I would say though don't try to pass on the inside of corners - that can be dangerous!) or climbing and you can find places to get through then. If the road is flat and straight and they really slow it down there may be nothing you can do, besides perhaps maybe talking to some of the other teams and mentioning that blocking is not a fair tactic, though I know how that kind of thing is usually recieved... (maybe talk to some of their higher level riders? they might be willing to mention to their 4's that its not a good thing)

My other challenge is that my teammates got dropped 1/3 of the way into the race, so I was really on my own. I'm trying to recruit a couple of stronger Cat 4 racers so I will have some help though.
Yeah - last year I was in much the same situation. This year we have a pretty strong cat 4 team, which has made it more fun. (doh - I just reread your original post and you did exactly what I said here - good on you!) Even your weaker teammates can help. Line them up right on the front when the race starts and have them control the pace for as long as the other teams will let it happen. Get the ones who burn out quickly to launch (and chase) attacks while they are still with the group - it will make them stronger and it will wear down the pack a bit. Have them try to control the chase if you get into a break. Its good for them and good for you if they have a job to do and feel like they are making a difference. It won't always work out, but its good to start with a plan.
Even with the size of our team our races ususally do break up into breaks and chases. If we are lucky we get more than one team member into a break, but often since we don't want to drag the whole pack up, the teamate in the break is alone. That's OK as long as they aren't totally outnumbered by another team that can overwhelm them. If you find yourself in a break with a large number of people from a single other team - you should not feel obligated to do a lot of the work. Try to stay off the front as much as possible. Its the duty of the dominant team to control the break!

Last year was my first year of racing, and for me, it was all about power. This year, I'm trying to race smarter, not harder ;) .

SheFly

Me too! though the power part maybe not ;) - as a smaller rider I've always had to ride smarter...... just rolling away from the group has never been an option for me..... I spent most of my time last year reacting, this year has been a lot more fun because we have been the ones causing the reactions!

just curious - are you thinking about upgrading - it seems like from some of your last reports you've been doing really well. I'm feel like I'm at the point where I ought to. There are always a few in our field that come in as strong as some of the 2's so I certainly haven't been going out and winning, but I certainly feel stronger and I am racing better than most of the people who were my nemesi last year. I don't TT that well, and I know 1/2/3 crits will be painful at the very least and more likely that I'll be pulled from a lot of them...., but road racing has been going great and I'm climbing very well.

SheFly
05-14-2007, 09:32 AM
just curious - are you thinking about upgrading - it seems like from some of your last reports you've been doing really well. I'm feel like I'm at the point where I ought to. There are always a few in our field that come in as strong as some of the 2's so I certainly haven't been going out and winning, but I certainly feel stronger and I am racing better than most of the people who were my nemesi last year. I don't TT that well, and I know 1/2/3 crits will be painful at the very least and more likely that I'll be pulled from a lot of them...., but road racing has been going great and I'm climbing very well.

Definitely. I'm still a few races away from being able to (although they are a bit lenient with women's upgrading here). I have been doing fairly well over the past two seasons. Like you, however, I am certainly not walking away with any of the races, but do feel stronger, and maybe even a little wiser. The move does scare me some since for me it also means moving to a 1/2/3 field, but on the upside of that is that I will have to get even better to be able to compete.

You've also had a terrific season if I recall, both road this year, and cross last fall. Maybe we can [virtually] upgrade together!

SheFly

Mimosa
05-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Just the same thing I was thinking last evening, I currently ride with a license which you could compare to cat 4. Yesterday I drove in a cat 3/4 (or the dutch equivalant) race and it went to easy. It's not like I have the power to ride away from the pack on my own but my power in the sprint and the complete ease with which I held myself in the pack made me think. We don't have a point system to force riders to upgrade, it's just left to their choice but I miss that bit of tension you get when you don't know if you are going to finish the race and the feeling of being drained at the end of the race (sounds masochistic but do I make any sense?). I already joined a local club to be able to apply for a higher license (equivalant to cat 3) and next week the healthcheck. That way I can ride the cat 2&3 and 1,2&3 races which hopefully will be more challenging, the group will be much larger (fields of 60-100 women with elite/worldcup riders), the race draws more spectators, higher price money (;)) and more fun courses.

mukluk
05-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a fun race. I really enjoyed reading your race report. I think you did great!!!