PDA

View Full Version : Talkback radio

enzed
05-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Since I can't get to sleep, I'm listening to ABC Talkback on the radio.
The theme of tonight's discussion includes cycling. They are debating how the Sydney CBD can be improved by making it less reliant on cars & more "human friendly" - ie pedestrians & cycling.

There was a truckie talking now about cyclists & how alot of them don't use bike paths. He reckons a group of cyclists riding along Pacific Highway, shouldn't have been there, and how they put themselves at risk.

Next caller - Says cycling into the city is not practical and the roads are too hilly. And there is a need for more dedicated bikelanes away from traffic. This guy reckons some cyclists riding on the roads are asking for trouble.

This should be an interesting discussion.

mimitabby
05-09-2007, 07:17 AM
and before it's done some pebble brain is going to say "if i had my choice between steering my car into a big truck or a bike, I'm going to take out the bike"

and no one will be there to say; "That's interesting, when's the last time you were in an accident where you had enough time to DECIDE what to run into?"

You should call and score a few points for the biking world.

enzed
05-09-2007, 07:33 AM
Here's some more caller's opinions

1) Cycling would be safer if motorists were better at the sharing the road. Taking the lane is the safest way to get from A to B, even if cars like it or not.

2) Cyclists need to display more commonsense when riding on the road.

3) Being car-free is not always practical. Sydney is getting so large, public transport & walking is not sufficient.

4) A guy who rides 55Km to work. He reckons there are good bikepaths to be found, but you have to know where they are first.

5) Cities in Australia are make for cars, not for pedestrians.

And the caller's keep coming.

mimitabby
05-09-2007, 07:36 AM
wow, the dialog sounds a lot better than what we hear here on talk radio!

enzed
05-09-2007, 07:49 AM
Here are some more callers opinions.

1) The joy of riding in Amsterdam - "The bike is always right"

2) A gripe from a cyclist - Alot of them don't use bike lights & how dangerous it is to ride without.

3) How good the bikepaths in Adelaide are. The role of more bicycle education. How good the new LED lights are. How younger people are riding to work lately.

4) Pedestrians need to follow the law & drivers should slow down for pedestrians at pedestrian crossings (which alot don't).

The discussions are actually kinda interesting (and aren't all car bias).