PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver International Marathon

Pika
05-08-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi all- well dh and I just got back from running the half marathon in Vancouver this week- wasn't sure if I should post a new thread or put this under the "running barefoot" thread because.... with my very own eyes, while I was running the the downtown eastside ( where crackheads and heroin addicts abound) i saw a guy running barefoot!!
I ran up to him and asked how long he has been running barefoot- he said for about 2 yrs - I was hoping he would expound more of the virtues of running barefoot but he didn't want to chat:(
Overall the race went well- pretty much the time I expected, the weather was good for running and best of all I beat dh so he can no longer say his "one day a week training plan" is working for him :) LOL
The only thing I would have changed is 1) not leaving the stadium thru the airlock- it was terrible- 500+ people jammed in very closed quarters as one garage door thing closed we all waited- ( me impatiently) for the other to open- I had visions of suffocating- yuck!:eek: :eek:
2) I didn't precheck my garmin 305 and somehow I manged to bring it not charged!!!! dumb dumb dumb- so I had no watch or anything- I had no idea how fast ( or slow) I was running. + the hr monitor chafed me! ouch
oh well I just ran - probably too comfortably- didn't suffer enough for a PB but overall it was pretty good.
It was a nice course after the one climb at mile 8 it really was downhill from there right to the finish and the spectators and bands along the way were great!

Wahine
05-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Yippppeeeeee Pika!!

Nice work. Kinda funny about the Garmin. I'm surprised, I'd expect your DH to do something like that, not you. I bet he's very proud of your for beating him.

When's the next race?

Pika
05-08-2007, 05:02 PM
we are in negotiations :)
I really need to be independantly weathy so I can just have time for all the leisure activities:)
We have some committments to sailing regattas this year but are hoping to do some more Tri's- should nail it down this week- I am hoping one a month for a grand finale in sept- the grand coulee HIM ???
oops did I say that out loud???

colby
05-08-2007, 06:31 PM
Good work Pika, congrats on your finish (AND beating your husband, mwahahaha). :)

Grog
05-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Great Job Pika! I'm glad you enjoyed the race.

I also felt funny going through the airlock. I went through it at the exit of the stadium (after the race) too. Thankfully I was at the very front both times, felt less claustrophobic I guess!

kelownagirl
05-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Whoo hoo for Grog and Pika doing a half marathon!!!