PDA

View Full Version : How to switch bike computer from one bike to another???

michelem
05-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a Blackburn Delphi bike computer on my bike and would like to move it to my new road bike if I ever make up my mind and decide to buy one! Does anyone know if it is possible to move the old one from one bike to another? Specifically, how do I move the little parts that are zip-tied to the spokes and crank? The zip ties have been tightened all the way and clipped off. I do not have any leftover zip ties. So, maybe I need to cut the parts off and locate new zip ties? If so, where would I buy some?

TOTALLY CLUELESS HERE. Sigh . . .

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Not a rush. I won't be moving it until if and when I buy a road bike. I just really hate to think I have to buy a whole new bike computer as well. The Blackburn Delphi website doesn't have any FAQ's and the instruction manual does not address this concern.

kiwi girl
05-08-2007, 01:45 AM
Yep the answer is snip the old ones off carefully and buy some new ones

if the old zip ties are really tight you won't be able to get sissors under them, so use a craft knife or a stanley knife to carefully cut them - there is a small risk you might cause a minor scratch - but by the time you do this its your old bike right?

you should be able to get new zip ties from a hardware store

SouthernBelle
05-08-2007, 05:44 AM
I bought a big thing of zip ties at Lowes. 'Spect Home Depot or a neighborhood hardware store would have them too. Thay are often referred to as cable ties.

SadieKate
05-08-2007, 06:14 AM
Michele, you will need to re-set wheel size in the computer since (I'm guessing) you'll be moving it from a mtb to a roadie. Go to Blackburn's web site and download the instructions. The instructions will tell you also where to mount the speed sensor and the magnet.

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-08-2007, 09:30 AM
We bought a bunch of zip ties at the local bike store. Remember- they sell bike computers and lots of clueless customers pay them to install them on their bikes- so they HAVE to have zip ties around.

Remember, you will have to recalibrate your wheel circumfrence for the new bike, or it will give wrong mileage readings. You can check it against an old familiar route you used to do on your old bike. Keep resetting the circumf. setting until it matches the old mileage. Or check it against your car odometer and keep adjusting until it matches.

michelem
05-08-2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions/input! I'm sure I'll be having the LBS install it on the new bike, since I have no clue how to do so (REI did it for me back when I bought it from them for the old bike). I didn't even think about them having extra zip ties around.

Thanks again. :)

P.S. Thanks for the reminder about recalibrating. Luckily, I did read that part of the manual! :)

SadieKate
05-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Call me hardheaded but I'm a DIY'er when it comes to computers, especially because it is so simple. It's not uncommon that the magnet may get bumped and the computer stop reading or you need to find tune the wheel size calibration to get it right for the combined weight of you and your bike. The more you can do yourself, the better you can deal with these things out on the road.

SadieKate
05-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Remember, you will have to recalibrate your wheel circumfrence for the new bike, or it will give wrong mileage readings. You can check it against an old familiar route you used to do on your old bike. Keep resetting the circumf. setting until it matches the old mileage. Or check it against your car odometer and keep adjusting until it matches.If you want it to be that precise, how about using the rollout method in the instructions so you only have to do it once?

Grog
05-08-2007, 10:25 AM
For a 700X23C wheel the number is 2093 if I remember correctly.

It's really simple to install, I'd strongly recommend doing it yourself. Cable ties can be bought anywhere, including at the dollar store, and have tons of other uses.

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-08-2007, 10:26 AM
If you want it to be that precise, how about using the rollout method in the instructions so you only have to do it once?

The rollout method is good to get you in the general ballpark. (Be sure you are sitting ON your bike when you measure the rollout, and it helps to have a helper.) But the rollout method is just not the same as when you are going your normal speed and longer distances. Road surface contact and tire compression will be different at normal speed, and give different results. I also found the little chart for typical tire circumferences that came with the computer to be pretty inaccurate when I actually measured it against my two different tire sizes.

I used the rollout method to get within the general range. Then I drove our two different cars a certain route that was exactly 10 miles. Both cars read the same. Then I rode my bike a few times that same exact route and adjusted my tire rotation setting each time until it matched the 10 miles. You can't get nearly as accurate by rolling at almost a standstill for 12 yards.

SadieKate
05-08-2007, 10:42 AM
Wow, I'd rather ride my bike.

Veronica
05-08-2007, 11:33 AM
I know I'm not totally accurate. My Rambouillet reads higher then the Legolas by .2 miles over a 40 mile ride. I don't care. It's close enough. :D

V.

maillotpois
05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I'd rather have my yearly mileage total be off by .007%. :D

michelem
05-08-2007, 12:39 PM
That's funny that you all say it so easy. It took the REI guy an entire hour to install mine and, yes, he was solely dedicated to my bike at the time (not helping other customers or anything). He didn't even program the computer! He had to keep reading the manual and doing this and that. Luckily he didn't charge me (it's normally $15, even if the computer was bought at REI). You gals rock! :)

By the way, I did all the computer settings myself and plan to do so again (setting the wheel size, etc., etc.). It's the actual install I am worried about - getting the little doo-hickys for the odometer and cadence readings in the right spot and without scratching up the frame! (one thing on the spoke, another on the fork, another on the crank, and another on chainstay). Programming the computer and setting that up on the handlbars is no biggie.

BleeckerSt_Girl
05-08-2007, 01:17 PM
I know I'm not totally accurate. My Rambouillet reads higher then the Legolas by .2 miles over a 40 mile ride. I don't care. It's close enough. :D

V.

Yes it certainly IS close enough! :eek: :p

michelem
05-08-2007, 11:39 PM
Stopped by REI tonight and they gave me extra zip ties, so I'm set! Thanks for the suggestion. :)