PDA

View Full Version : Aerobars

kelownagirl
05-07-2007, 05:33 PM
I want to get aerobars for my road bike. I like being down low when I'm riding and I often end up with my arms resting on the bar in that position anyway so I figure it's time to try them. Also, I want to eventually do duathlons or triathlons, or maybe even try a TT.

So... I looked at some at the LBS and saw there were several styles. The one he was steering me towards has the ends that go up and connect, similar to the picture I've attached. The other ones had straight bars that went straightout. These ones could have shifters added if you want. He said they were a more aggressive style and less comfortable because my wrists would be in a less natural position. He also said the other style was a more introductory style and very popular.

What kind do you have? What kind would you recommend for someone in my position?

Thanks,

Barb

singletrackmind
05-08-2007, 08:14 AM
I have Profile AirStryke aerobars on mine, with the flip up rests. A decent set of bars and I like that they get up out of my way when I'm not using them. I like the way the bike handles better without them on but for me they are fairly comfortable and do their job well. There are more minimalist bars out there, but these are my favorite so far.

They're also strong enough to bungee a watermelon to them to take to work. :D
(I won't tell you what handling was like with that much weight up there!)

kelownagirl
05-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback! Do you mean that the armrest part flips up?

Can you tell me more about the difference in handling - with and without? Do you mean while using them or not, or is there a handling difference just by having them attached to the bike?

Thanks!

HillSlugger
05-09-2007, 05:43 PM
I'm trying to find the right aerobars right now. Currently I have Profile Design GT Jammers. I like the idea of separate bars that can be adjusted for grip angle, length, pad angle, etc. Unfortunately, the Jammers don't put my wrists into the most natural position for my wrists (anyone want to buy them?). I've just ordered Forte T1 Aerobars and will give them a try.

It's definitely more difficult to handle the bike while riding in the aerobars; the first time I tried I nearly lost control of the bike (don't try this in traffic while learning!!!). It does get easier each time. The thing I'm also learning to deal with is that I need to keep reaching off one bar to do any shifting.

singletrackmind
05-10-2007, 04:43 AM
Yep, the armrests flip up out of the way (spring loaded). Mine are adjustable, both in length of the bars and width of the rests. Without the aerobars the front end is lighter and slightly more responsive....but I didn't notice any problems after having them on for a short time and never gave it a thought until after I took them off for a little bit. It's really a non-issue to me.

It does take time to get used to riding them, but not all that much, guess since your weight is distributed on the bike differently it makes sense that it wouldn't feel the same. I practiced on some nice looonnnngggg straight smooth roads and it was all good pretty quickly.

HillSlugger
05-10-2007, 06:12 AM
guess since your weight is distributed on the bike differently it makes sense that it wouldn't feel the same.

I think with the increased weight directly on the front, little changes in weight distribution are transmitted right through; you lose the compensating arm/muscle movement of bent elbows that would otherwise dampen them out. Also, you end up steering from a much narrower arm spread. It takes some getting used to.

roadie gal
06-02-2007, 07:25 AM
I'll second the Profile Air Strykes. They have a wide range of adjustment fore and aft so they can be tailored perfectly to your body. I like the fact that the arm rests do flip up so you can use the whole bar.

It takes a little bit of time to get used to scooping the arm rest down with your elbow to get into aero position, but once you've got it, it becomes natural.

My only caution is if you get upset by noise from your bike. The arm rests do rattle if you hit a bumpy section of the road (which around here is ALL of the road).

If you shop around you can generally find them on sale somewhere, either Performance or tri sites like Trisport, etc.

HillSlugger
06-02-2007, 07:49 AM
I ended up with Profile Designs T2+ (http://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=80&item=PFT2A) aerobars and am very happy with them. My wrists are more comfortable, my forearms are better supported, and the bike feels to be under better control.

RoadRaven
06-02-2007, 12:56 PM
My aeros do not join in the middle... and I have bar end shifters now.
They present a much more aero profile than bars joined at the end.

We picked up a second hand pair of the joined style depicted in the photo quite cheaply. We cut them down so only the straight bits were left, attached the shifters and taped them up. Ideal.

Having said that, I do know you do Tris, and I have heard the longer bars, and the different "grip/positions" offered are good on the cycling sections of a tri.

I only TT over 18-25km distances, so not moving for 35-40 mins is ok.