PDA

View Full Version : New bike tweaking??

knapplaura
08-02-2004, 03:14 PM
I am very excited to buy my 2nd BIke, which is my "big upgrade"....from a DEL SOL Veloz to a MASI Gran Corsa. Check out how beautiful and Italian it looks!!

It is a great bike; Ultegra components, carbon fork and seatstays, carbon seat post and carbon handlebars.

I know I will need to replace some items to get the fit comfortable, and am looking for a few tips....

I already told my LBS that I will want a women-spec saddle and shorter stem (b/c when I test rode I felt a little too stretched out).

How do I know if I need to ask them to change anything else out?

Also, any suggestions on pedals? I currently ride SPD and my BF keeps telling me to replace them.

thanks again for the input!

Laura

Veronica
08-02-2004, 03:27 PM
Why does your BF want you to replace your pedals?

V.

emily_in_nc
08-02-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi Laura,

I checked out your new ride online (http://www.masibikes.com/grancorsa.html), and it's gorgeous! Too large for me even in the smallest size, but really sharp!

You might want to look at narrower handlebars since it's not a WSD bike and thus has wide handlebars. Even the 49 cm frame size (what size did you get?) comes with 40 cm handlebars, and they go up from there. My husband can use a 40 or 42cm handlebar, but I need a 36 or 38 cm as do many small to medium-sized women women - not sure what size you are. Have the bike shop measure your shoulders to be sure of the proper size.

I think SPD pedals are mostly for mountain shoes, so yes, you might want to look at road pedals, and you'll need some Sidi shoes to go with that pretty bike too (they even match!). My personal favorite pedals are Speedplays (try the Zeros, the newest kind), but I'm sure you'll talk to people who like Looks and others.

Enjoy!

Emily

Veronica
08-02-2004, 06:02 PM
I have SPDs on all three of my bikes: road, tandem and mountain bike. So don't think you HAVE to put something different on your road bike. However, if you're unhappy with SPDs then by all means switch.

Veronica

massbikebabe
08-03-2004, 09:22 AM
Love your Masi...

I have always wanted a Masi since I saw Breaking Away, but alas I am too much of a shrimp to fit on them!! I use SPD pedals on my road ride...(Trek 5200 WSD). I use the Shimano pedals which you can either clip into or ride the platform because I am always riding in city traffic. I feel so much more confident on the platforms when I ride in the city. Good Luck with your choice and with your new ride...ride in good health!!

:D Karen

knapplaura
08-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the input on pedals; I will certainly give the Time's a try when the bike comes in. I am getting a size 49, which is the smallest they offer.

Am starting to check out posts on other handlebars, thanks for the tip. My shoulders are about average width, so probably a little narrower bars is good.

My BF wanted me to change pedals b/c I have a tough time clipping in in a 'pressure' situation...like when the stoplight turns green and we have to speed across the intersection. He uses Look's and thinks they are better.

Will post a 'complete pic' when done....my LBS is hooking me up with some Kysrium wheels too!

Laura

caligurl
08-04-2004, 08:12 AM
how tall are you? if you are short.. you don't want looks!

i had them.. could never get OUT Of them! (getting in was fine)

i ended up with speedplays.. i got the x's though... i love them.. i can get in and OUT of them!