PDA

View Full Version : Spinning in London - where??

trinidad
05-07-2007, 08:06 AM
Help!

I've just moved to London and can't find a decent gym with half decent spin classes :(

Any suggestions?

I live near Marylebone/Baker Street, but can travel!

Cheers,
Trinidad

madscot13
05-07-2007, 11:22 AM
If you are uni student you can join UCL or the University of London gym. They have some realy upbeat spin coaches.

cheers

crazycanuck
05-08-2007, 04:10 AM
You may want to try DirtDiva..she lives in or is it around London...

C

AuntieK
05-09-2007, 05:38 PM
You could try going to http://pedal-on.com/index.php .
I know there are some Spinning instructors on that forum who are from Britian.
Good luck!

trinidad
05-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Hi all! I live next to Marylebone Station and unfortunately I am not a student. I tried the big chain around the corner, the Leisure Centre (no spinning there) and last night I went to Swiss Cottage... So frustrating despite the sales guy saying that all instructors were certified Spinning ones... huh.gif Anyways, after the class I talked to the instructor and asked him if I was ever going to find a 'traditional spin class' where I work on my heart rate, try to maintain it, push it hard and follow a weekly programme as opposed to jumping on the bike, moving your arms... and crouching down while cycling???????? He basically said I wasn't going to find that here in the UK, maybe USA..., unless I get a personal trainer... or I do it myself.... which I'm going to do eventually if I can't find anyone who can train me as I want...

Besides, classes here are not everyday or at the same time for those who want to follow some kind of training... I've found another one. I will check it out today but if that works, it's only twice a week and at 1pm.... I will never make it once I start working.

Thanks for your help! I'll check the sites!

Cheers,

Trini

foxfiremitch
05-17-2007, 05:44 AM
Trinidad, I also have just moved to London and am trying to solve this same question. I am a beginning triathlete (two races under my belt) and want to keep up my training. Let me know if you find something!

-Mitch

tattiefritter
05-17-2007, 01:37 PM
They do seem beloved of the "press ups" on spinning bikes and other niff naff stuff not particularly related to biking in any spinning class I've been in which is why I've never continued with it. I know its not much help to you but in the Preston area there is (or was) a series of spinning classes run from a cyclists perspective (i.e they were chuffing hard) by a competitive cyclist unfortunately I couldn't make it. They were advertised in the local serious roadie shop. It may be worth contacting some "serious" bike shops or local competitive cycling clubs/tri clubs as they may know something. There must be something in London.

kiwi girl
05-17-2007, 06:03 PM
The spinning class I do is franchised worldwide as "RPM"

I can't access the site from work (I don't have the right flash player) but if you go to http://www.lesmills.com and go to the class locator and look for RPM classes in London you might find something - there are climbing intervals which have a bit of jumping out of the saddle - but I've never heard of doing pushups on the bike