PDA

View Full Version : newer than newbie question

eclectic
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
I would like to try some mtn biking this summer. We have a couple of trails in the near vacinity that aren't too difficult and I have a veteran lined up to help me.
I am 50 years old so I don't plan on doing anything too agressive at this point (or probably ever).

I already own an ancient Schwinn High Plains I think it is about 17 years old - I use it for my run about town to the grocery store bike. It has absolutely no suspension anywhere. (just read reviews on this bike - every one loves it)

A friend is selling his defected girl friend's Gary Fisher tarpon for $150 - it has been ridden twice. When I read reviews on this bike they were very mixed from "I love it, wouldn't change anything - works great" to "it is the worst bike I have ever ridden"

I am going to take it out just for a road ride this week but since I don't have a clue how to do any trail riding I don't even know how to test it out there or what to look for.

The bike is the right size for me.

So I guess is the Tarpon worth the cash or can I survive on my old High Plains?

fatbottomedgurl
05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
It sounds like you just want to get out and get a little dirt under your tires! I got started on a $300 (when she was new) diamondback hardtail with all the lower end components that Gary Fisher probably has. That little yellow bike took me all over the place! Sure she's overweight (like me) and didn't have the gearing and plush of my new bike, but I kept up with all my friends on their $2000+ rigs. Let your Schwinn be your in-town bike with skinny high pressure tires. And buy the other bike to get dirty! At that price it's not like you're going to break the bank. You can have a lot of fun on it, and if you get serious and want something better, keep her as a spare for a friend.

IntenseRide
05-07-2007, 07:10 AM
I agree with fatbottomedgurl... I also got started on a $350 hardtail because I wanted to ride those dirt roads around the lakes back in Iowa. Try it out, maybe go to the store and thumb through a copy of Bike Magazine for some beautiful photos and inspiration. There are also plenty of good mountainbikes for sale if you look around places like Craigs List, Ebay and your local bike shop or club.

eclectic
05-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the input. :)
I have made a decision (based on paying my bills today) :p

I am going to try it out on my old bike, then, if I find I like it I will save and invest in a better bike w/ better components. I just am not comfortable w/ the reviews I read on this specific one and the cranks do look pretty flimsy.

Thanks on reminding me re ebay and craigslist
Now I can take my time and look around when I know a little bit more what to look for. I could go out once and hate it (ok I will give it more than once) :D

IntenseRide
05-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Just a thought...its not the suspension that will enable you to ride well enough, but the geometry of the bike. My first ever bike was a hybrid/comfort bike that made it nearly impossible to climb with. And I'm talking about any dirt climb what-so-ever. Hybrid/comfort bikes are meant for flat grade or reclaimed railroad tracks and riding around town. Ride your bike, but realize that climbing 'up' something that proves so difficult, is not your inability to do so, but the way the bike is built, in a way that makes it very hard to lean forward and grind up a dirt hill.

But my motto is...always to have fun and enjoy the joy-joy :D .

fatbottomedgurl
05-08-2007, 06:08 PM
hate it? BWAAA HAAA HAA

eclectic
05-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Just a thought...its not the suspension that will enable you to ride well enough, but the geometry of the bike. My first ever bike was a hybrid/comfort bike that made it nearly impossible to climb with. And I'm talking about any dirt climb what-so-ever. Hybrid/comfort bikes are meant for flat grade or reclaimed railroad tracks and riding around town. Ride your bike, but realize that climbing 'up' something that proves so difficult, is not your inability to do so, but the way the bike is built, in a way that makes it very hard to lean forward and grind up a dirt hill.

But my motto is...always to have fun and enjoy the joy-joy :D .

The bike I have is an old Schwinn High plains mtn bike. It does have the geometry of a mtn bike, not a hybrid/comfort bike. It is just that it is a rigid frame so the ride might be a little (understatement) rough.
All the reviews I read on the old high plains were good, they are tough little bikes and people are still riding them.

the reviews I read on the Tarpon were they fall apart when they hit something rough. So I am going to hold out and look around once I decide if this is something I want to pursue.

So I can start looking :P any recommendations for a good solid entry level mtn bike probably in the $5-700 range (I will not be jumping off any "cliffs" with it)

eclectic
05-08-2007, 07:40 PM
hate it? BWAAA HAAA HAA

Oh oh I don't need another addiction :eek:

IntenseRide
05-08-2007, 07:59 PM
So I can start looking :P any recommendations for a good solid entry level mtn bike probably in the $5-700 range (I will not be jumping off any "cliffs" with it)

"Take a look at this Bicycling’s 2006 Best Mountain Bike Under $1000: the Dakar XC"

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/dakarxc.html

Jamis bikes really have a great component set for the price, and this one is a full suspension. It lists at $865, so you should be able to get it on sale at a bike shop in your price range. Also their hardtails are in your price range. Check out Gary Fischer and Trek bikes too. If you go to mtbr.com you can get ratings on all these bikes from people who ride them (which to me is the real deal). I still can't believe full suspensions have come down that much.

Good luck on this! :)

LiquidFeet
06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Eclectic, I started riding last year at age 56. I bought a cheap used Diamondback hardtail with throw-away suspension on the front, and cheap parts elsewhere too I suspect. I've ridden the thing everywhere, from neighborhood roads to (finally able to do them) twistyturny rockyrooty technical singletracks in my local woods. That suspension has done just fine as I clang over rocks and roots and 12-18" drops off whatever. It would have never stood up to a real jump, but I'm not doing those anyway.
The reason I know it's a throw-away suspension is that I've ruined it, and it can't be unscrewed and worked on inside. It just needs to be replaced. I am still riding it, but am on the lookout for a good bike now that I know what I want.

I am so glad I bought this beginner bike last year. It served me well as I graduated from roads to more interesting stuff. I would not have been able to wisely choose a bike that cost real money way back because I didn't know what kind of a rider I was going to become. Now I know. One day I'm going to be doing some serious downhill vertical. It's fun!

So my suggestion to you is it's OK to get a cheap-o used mountain bike with front suspension, and ride it into the ground. Then buy something more tailored to your growning skills.

fatbottomedgurl
06-22-2007, 04:42 PM
Is that "growing" or 'groaning"?:p

labgirl
06-22-2007, 05:26 PM
If the Schwinn doesn't have any front suspension and you get your teeth chattered out of your mouth, you might not get the enjoyment out of mountain biking that other's see. I've been there and thought people are nuts! Even something so simple as front shocks made a world of difference