PDA

View Full Version : Is Riding Alone OK?

tatormc
08-02-2004, 11:36 AM
Is it ok for a women to ride alone? I'm a new rider and don't have any experience with changing flats and such. My husband is not sure I can change a flat since I love my long finger nails and I'm not very strong. I see other posts where a women states she rides alone. What tips can give for riding alone?

cyclingnewbie
08-02-2004, 12:08 PM
If I can ride alone most of the time, you can too! Just make sure you are prepared. Learn how to change a flat, because sooner or later you will lose your flat-tire virginity and have to do it. Practice at home where you aren't under any pressure. And trust me, it will almost always be the back tire, which means you need to know how to get the wheel off and back on again. I don't have any advice for the long fingernails! :)

I have a trunk rack on my bike to carry everything I can think of, just in case. I carry a cell phone, snacks, a pump, a new tube, a patch kit (in case I have two flats on the same ride), a small tool pack, a rag, some minor first aid stuff, Tylenol, a health insurance card. I have thought about getting pepper spray or the like because some of the bike trails are pretty isolated, but I haven't done it yet.

Make the best preparations you can and then go out and enjoy your ride! Most cyclists are pretty nice and there will usually be an offer of help if you get stuck, but you don't want to look like a helpless female; It's way cooler to just wave them on with a "I'm fine; thanks for the offer." Good luck!!

MightyMitre
08-02-2004, 12:25 PM
Hi tatormc!

When you say you're a new rider, how new do you mean? Weeks?months?

I'd say learning to change a tyer is a great place to start and depending on how new you are it might be worth hooking up with some others for a few rides, so you can get used to your bike and get to know a couple of nice routes you're familar with.

Other than that there's no reason why you shouldn't ride alone - apart from it's good fun with a group! As always it just calls for a bit of common sense.

Enjoy!

Adventure Girl
08-02-2004, 12:32 PM
I can't agree more about the practice in changing a tube. Here's a link from TE http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

It was also discussed in several old threads including this one:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1090&highlight=flat

But reading how to fix a flat is quite different from actually doing it. You should practice a few times at home and pretty soon it will be second nature to you.

I ride alone pretty often. If you're alone you have to be prepared to fix your bike, wait for help or push your bike back to your house or car. You should at least be able to change a tube and fix a broken chain. Personally I don't have a problem with riding alone and luckily I've never had a problem I couldn't solve.

Originally posted by cyclingnewbie you don't want to look like a helpless female; It's way cooler to just wave them on with a "I'm fine; thanks for the offer."Even cooler than that is to come to the aid of helpless, stranded men who have no idea how to use a chain tool!

tatormc
08-02-2004, 12:34 PM
I've been riding for about 6 months. My husband rides with me but he's been riding for years so he's stronger and faster. I hate for him to have to slow down because of me.

Deanna
08-02-2004, 12:54 PM
I ride alone most of the time, my husband and is a much stronger rider than I am, so if we aren't on the tandem, we are usually doing separate rides, and many of my rides are extensions of my ride home after work. I can say from experience, if you only learn one bike repair, make it fixing a flat. Losing a nail is better than being stranded miles from a phone--depending on where you ride, you can't depend on cell phone coverage.

Adventure Girl
08-02-2004, 01:02 PM
I mountain bike more than I road ride. So knowing how to fix a flat is an important skill to have when you're 15 or 20 miles of mountain trails away from your car. But even as a road rider it's important. If you are stranded on the side of the road, sure you can use your cell phone to have someone come and rescue you. But while you're waiting, I think you're in more danger than when you're riding. IMHO, you appear to be the week member of the herd standing there waiting for help. If you can fix it yourself, then zip-boom, you're rolling again in just a few minutes! Just my $.02.

ACG
08-02-2004, 03:05 PM
I ride alone, I live in the burbs of Southern Ca.

I ride in areas that are heavily residential. However because it is the burbs, Lots of gas stations are close by. I bring my cell with me and other 'emergency' items, bike tools, bandaids etc. I know how to change a flat. Don't usually have a problem.

Learn how to change a flat tire.

I also have 2 or 3 common routes that I share with my family. (Cuz they all think I'm gonna die out there!)

I have a regular departure time and a regular return time.

On weekends I ride farther and longer and many times call them when I'm at the point of turning around and going home. This helps cuz they will sometimes call me if I'm gone too long.

The key is to enjoy yourself.

Veronica
08-02-2004, 03:09 PM
I usually e mail my husband when I'm going out riding alone and then e mail him again when I get back. I just like someone to know I'm out and about.

V.

maryellen
08-02-2004, 03:34 PM
Whether or not you will ride alone, definitely practice changing flats. I was fortunate enough to discover my first flat (rear wheel naturally!) at home a few weeks ago. I now feel far better prepared than I did when I only had theoretical knowledge of changing a flat, or had changed one with someone instructing me.

I am a new rider (just started last year) and I too struggle with the "ride alone or not" question. For now, I mostly only ride alone in NYC (I know the streets and the subway stops if I need to bailout!). Out of town (where I prefer to ride), I'm concerned about the combination of lack of skill as a new rider as well as zero sense of direction. I am trying to psych myself up to do some rides that I've done with groups, where I'm more familiar with the roads, and know the roads are well traveled by other cyclists.

I enjoy and learn a lot on group rides but they tend to start late and I'm an early morning person. Especially an issue in warmer weather.

But whatever you do . . . keep riding. Set a mileage goal for yourself each week and do whatever you need to do to meet it. My confidence level has increased enormously!

spazzdog
08-02-2004, 03:53 PM
Check and see if there is an REI store in your area (I'm not sure if they are only in New England). Go to http://www.rei.com for locations.

They offer bike workshops, both beginner and advanced, for a very small cost. Fixing flats is covered in the beginner class.

If there is no REI, check other outdoor gear stores or bike shops in your area. They may offer a comparable class.

Pedal Wench
08-02-2004, 06:45 PM
I'm new to riding alone too. I ride with my BF in his town, but I just started riding where I live, so I'm riding alone for the first time. I bring along all the basics to deal with a flat, but I'm not sure what I would do to fix a broken chain. Should I carry a length of chain with me?
Even though I'm new, since I'm carrying fix-it stuff with me, whenever I see anyone pulled over, I always ask if they need help. My basic knowledge might be more than theirs.

JanT
08-02-2004, 06:59 PM
Where will you ride? In addition to being prepared for flats and emergencies, as others have given you ideas about, you need to consider how vulnerable you will be by yourself. I am a mountain biker and now a roadie, too, and there are some places in each category I will not ride alone. Think about what possible dangers you could encounter: from other people, animals, trail hazards/vehicle traffic, and then pick the safest places for your first solo adventures. Wherever you go, make sure you either know the area well or have a good map. This comes from my own experience of going exploring and ending up doing more miles than anticipated! A GPS is great for solo riders! I use mine quite a bit. It's fun to look at the maps of my trips when I get home. I printed up my favorite routes, so I can leave a map of where I'm going for my husband.
Another safety factor: not only does my husband know where I am and when I'm due back, we stay in contact during the ride. We have an informal schedule of when I'll check in, and he'll call me first if he thinks I should have called. We usually touch base at my half-way point and when I'm back at the truck, minimum; more contacts on a four hour ride.
For many of us, if we waited for company, we'd hardly ever ride. And you grow to love the solitude of the solo rides. It's a very freeing thing.

Adventure Girl
08-02-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Audio-A
I'm not sure what I would do to fix a broken chain. Should I carry a length of chain with me? You don't need to bring any chain with you. An extra pin is helpful. I have a pin taped to my chain tool. If you break your chain on a ride, you can take out the bad link or two and put it back together. It might be a little short, so you might not be able to get into the big ring, but the bike will be rideable. You're probably need a new chain then, anyway.

A while ago, there was a thread here talking about how some of us were cyclists with messy houses. Do you remember? Well, I'm one of those... And part of my messy house includes a length of chain in my living room that I use to practice breaking and putting back together. Practice, practice, practice! I've fixed 3 chains while riding (mine once, stranded riders twice). They were all mountain biking rides. I kind of think that mountain bikers break chains more often than roadies.

pedalfaster
08-03-2004, 06:59 AM
Riding alone....

As the others said, learn to fix a flat and carry a multi-tool. I recommend CO2 inflators for women riding alone because they get you up and riding again much faster than a pump.

Carry your cell-phone, pepper spray, and ID.

Always let someone know when and where you will be riding and when you expect to return.

Appear as gender-neutral as possible while riding alone. Wear bright, visible jerseys but save the pink, flowered girly-stuff for group rides. If you have long hair tuck it up or into your jersey.

Stay alert and don't be afraid to listen to your "inner voice". If you see the same car pass you more than twice and it's creeping you out, don't hesitate to find a public place (c-store, gas station etc) and whip out your cell phone.

annie
08-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by pedalfaster
Riding alone....

Stay alert and don't be afraid to listen to your "inner voice". If you see the same car pass you more than twice and it's creeping you out, don't hesitate to find a public place (c-store, gas station etc) and whip out your cell phone.

I have to agree with this. Doesn't happen often, but do trust your own instincts. I've changed routes, turned around, or just stopped on the rare occasions that I have not felt comfortable with a car that's seemingly checking me out.

I ride alone most of the time. I love the solitude. Its often the only "alone time" I get. I could never give it up. Such good advice here! I had to figure most of this out myself, as there was no internet when I started riding! :D

annie

jobob
08-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Excellent post, peddalfaster!
And all the other posts too, this is a great thread.

I have to agree with annie, riding alone can be a wonderful experience. Some of my favorite rides are early in the morning before I head out for work, I just love the peace and solitude.

It occurred to me that the 50 mile ride I did last Friday (when I bunked off work) was the longest ride I ever did alone :cool: . It took me very briefly through a rough area, but only for a few blocks. At the time I was questioning the wisdom of my riding by myself through that area wearing bike shorts (which ordinarily nowadays I think nothing of ) and at the time I wished I was wearing my lightweight sports pants over my shorts, they're not quite tights. But, nothing happened, I was just being paranoid. Still, if I plan to ride through there again by myself I might tuck the pants in my bag if it's not way too hot out.

peddalfaster, I particularly liked your advice about carrying an inflator using CO2 cartridges rather than a hand pump, that hadn't even occurred to me but it makes perfect sense. I had actually never seen how a CO2 cartridge works until once was demo'ed during the tire changing clinic I took part in last Saturday (see snapdragen I am learning new things!) and I might just go out and purchase a few this week. Oh, and practice taking my rear tire on & off without being covered w. grease when I'm done :rolleyes:

caligurl
08-04-2004, 07:59 AM
i'm still new and i don't venture too far from home alone yet... i have the same newbie fears!

hubby did SHOW me how to change a rear flat... but that' the key.. he showed me.. i haven't practiced yet... i need to do that!

i've also sent emails home to remind me to add a rag ane one more co2 cartridge to my bag!

i like the advice about not dressing girly... i do now.. but it's in the neighborhood.. and on the long rides hubby's with me... when cars go WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY around us.. i wonder if it's cuz they can tell i'm a gurl? but i can see where i wouldn't want them knowing that if i was alone! especially since some of the roads are kind of desolate (not sure i'll ever be brave enought to head east which is further into the desert with houses being few and far between...

heck... i'm still kindof skittish about going too far from home if hubby's not home to come get me! last saturday is a perfect example.. he left me :( to go ride with some guys and i worried the whole time i was out of the neighborhood that i would break down! so i headed back and just road up and down the streets...

i know i will get more confidence over time...

as for the instinct thing... a couple of weeks ago we had a creepy incident (well.. i thought so) a truck came up behind us.. and stayed there the longest time.. then sloooooowly went by... and continued to go sloooooooww.. i was getting creeped out and definitly thought that if i had been alone i woulda already been on the phone calling hubby! it was a desert road.. so no houses... creepy! made me think!

Shimpie
08-10-2004, 12:21 PM
I just moved, which means I take a new route on my work commute to catch the train. The new route has its good and bad points. The good thing is the new route is 80% bike trail YAY!! No cars (or loose trailers) to run me over. However, the bad thing is the trail can be fairly desolate in the early morning. Some areas are just plain creepy. For instance, last Sunday I went riding on the trail with my boyfriend and his mom. At one point on the trail, three men decided to carry some sort of transaction in the middle of the trail! Every cyclist had to slow down to pass through the bottleneck. They were even told by the other cyclists to clear the trail and simply chose to ignore any suggestions.

Boy was I creeped out! I'm not the strappiest of women, being a hair over 5". What if I had been alone?

I always carry my cell phone. I have pepper spray, but it's not aways within easy reach. I'm definitely going to invest in some CO2 cartridges. If not for safety, at least a quick tire change can help me catch the next train.:)

sandra b
08-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I ride alone frequently. Usually it is my commute to work-about 6.5 miles each way, but much of the year it is dark at least one direction.

I carry a pump, and two spare tubes (having had 3 flats in 10 miles not too long ago), and a patch kit. I don't have a cell phone, and while I have been thinking about getting one, I haven't missed it yet. I ride some residential streets, some trail, and some arterials, all on my commute. While I pay attention to my surroundings, I never give a thought to not riding alone. If I worried about things like that, I would never do anything.

Be aware of what is going on, but don't be scared of things.

MomOnBike
08-11-2004, 08:28 AM
I've been thinking a lot on this topic recently.

Last week, while on a car trip with Younger Daughter, I discovered that she wants me to take my (dream) cross-country trip solo. As in no husband, no friend, no blankie, nada. All by my lonesome. OK, she'll allow William (the Bike), and a cell phone, etc. Her vision is me on my own, pedaling up mountain passes, on my belly by the side of the road taking pictures of pretty flowers, stealth camping in dry washes - you get the picture.

Talk about faith in the Old Lady!

While I have no doubt that I can do the trip solo, I wonder if I want to. Some things are just better if they are shared - like the weight of the tent. ;)

I've got years and much conditioning before such a trip will be possible, but when the time comes I think I'll dissapoint my daughter and invite my husband. If he declines, I'll go anyway. I think.

OTOH, I'm a bit nervous about bringing William home from the bike shop. I really don't think he'll fit on our bike rack 'cause he's a really long recumbent, so I'm planning on riding home. I'd like a companion on that trip - new bike, new route, never ridden a 'bent that far, etc.

I think I just need to get over it and go. After all, I'm considering a ride across the US....

Irulan
08-11-2004, 08:56 AM
comment: I see a heavy reliance on cell phones. I see this as a big mistake. Not all areas have good coverage, and even if you do call for help, there's no guarantee that it will a) get there quickly b) find you unless you are in a state as to where you can tell them where to find you. What if you forget to charge the darn thing? If some guy decides that he's going to assault you, do you think he's going to wait while you call 911 first?

Don't get me wrong, cell phones are good for a lot of things, but it's a bad idea to depend on them.

Irulan

Veronica
08-11-2004, 09:10 AM
I see cell phones as a convenience, nice to have, but not something I'll rely on. That's why I've learned to fix flats and chains. :D

I also think random acts of assault are fairly rare. That's why it's important to choose your friends and riding partners carefully.

V.

Irulan
08-11-2004, 09:16 AM
ok I agree that assualt is an extreme example. But you know what I mean...

I look at it more from the wilderness point of view. So many poeple that aren't prepared go out anyway, and then when they get into trouble expect a cell phone to substitute for thier lack of preparedness and experieince. <rant> Hello, I'm lost? ( did you bring a map) Hello, can you send someone to fix my tire? Bring us water....</rant>

~I

Veronica
08-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Oh yes, those people can be annoying. Reminds me of geocaching with my in-laws last year. They ran out of water half way through the hike. In retrospect we should have made them take more to begin with. But they're adults, they should be responsible for themselves. The hike was much harder than they had anticipated and hotter. I ended up giving them most of what I had left in my camelback and hiking down the mountain and bringing some more back for them.

But they learned from the experience and now they have a Camelback for hiking.

V.

Adventure Girl
08-11-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Irulan
Hello, I'm lost? ( did you bring a map)That brings up a good point. I take a trail map with me even when I know where I'm going. I have a few routes that I normally do and I know them VERY well. I don't "wander" or go exploring when I'm alone. But I don't know all the trails by number. If I were to require help and had to call somebody to tell them where I was, I couldn't just say, "I'm by the big oak tree after fork in the trail by the drop off where Alex broke his chain last summer." There are also some unofficial names to some trails. Some of these names are only known by my riding friends. Emergency personnel need to know I'm on trail #47 between #31 and #35. Without a map, I wouldn't know those trail numbers. Just my 2 cents...

pedalfaster
08-11-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh yeah I know what you mean about cell-phones in the boonies.
Very often they are useless, but people feel safe (and sometimes take stupid risks) because they have one.

Heck, they barely work out on the road where I live.

I suggest toting one along for women mainly as a deterrent . It's not going to stop a hard-core criminal, but the idea of you being in contact with someone else is often enough to spook the merely mischievous. Think "carload of highschool boys" here. If they see you whip out a cell phone while scrutinizing their license plate number, 9 times outta 10 they'll go find someone else to harass.

I've also witnessed them being used to report bad drivers, report vicious dogs, and call for aid in the event of crashes and/or serious mechanicals.

DeniseGoldberg
08-12-2004, 05:14 PM
You've already received a lot of good information in the replies posted before mine, so I won't repeat those. I have a couple of things to add though. Make sure you carry identification, including health insurance information and who (name and phone number) to contact in case of an emergency. I've always carried my drivers license as ID and my health insurance card with me, but until recently I didn't carry emergency contact information. I had a bicycle crash recently where that information would have been extremely useful. Luckily I was able to give the emergency personnel the information, but given my condition at the time it could have been a while before my family was notified.

Enjoy cycling!

--- Denise
www.denisegoldberg.com (http://www.denisegoldberg.com)

Don't get scared off by my mention of my crash - denise2004crash.crazyguyonabike.com (http://denise2004crash.crazyguyonabike.com) - I've ridden for years and never had anything this serious happen to me before!

Veronica
08-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Denise,

I really enjoyed reading about your last trip to Hawaii. It's my favorite place to go as well. I hope you heal quickly so you can still go in Oct.

When we toured the island on our tandem we used a gear transfer service. It's a little pricey for a single rider, but it was really nice to not have to carry all our gear ourselves. We brought winter coats for Mauna Kea and all our snorkel gear.

This last trip we went with family and stayed at the Mauna Kea Beach Resort. We weren't on the beach side, but got to listen to the birds in the morning instead.

Have a wonderful time.

Veronica

DeniseGoldberg
08-12-2004, 05:39 PM
Veronica -
At this point I suspect my trip to Hawaii in October may be a non-biking trip. I'm still going to go, just have a feeling I won't be up to riding the distances I need to over there - so it may turn into a hiking and relaxing/resting trip. Although your idea of using someone to haul my stuff would certainly make the riding easier. It's funny - I saw your note about your trip last year, and it appears that if we had planned a little differently we might have been on the island at the same time!

--- Denise

jobob
08-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Welcome back Denise ! :cool: