PDA

View Full Version : Spinervals Ultra Leg DVD

Veronica
05-05-2007, 05:48 PM
I've been doing this DVD consistently for a while now and it's really paying off with my climbing. I took 7 minutes off my PB on one of my local rides today. AND the previous PB was set with me drafting someone through the section with the nasty headwind. Today I was solo and yes, there was a headwind.

I was doing a point to point ride today and Thom came out to check on me in one of the more remote sections. He actually considered turning around because he couldn't believe I could be so far into the course. It was a very mountainous course and I was consistently 15 - 20 minutes faster to each of my checkpoints then we had anticipated.

Yeah, it's not nearly as much fun as riding outside, but I think it will help me achieve some of my goals.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=5955&highlight=ultra

The link takes you to a review I did of the video last year that tells you what all the sets are.
V.

missymaya
05-06-2007, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the tip. I've been thinking about getting some spinervals but I dont know which ones are good or where to buy. Any suggestions? Thanks

Veronica
05-06-2007, 04:33 AM
That's a question that's been asked a lot. We all have our favorites. :D

It really depends on what you're looking for, base building, strength, an all around workout... I want to get faster climbing and Ultra Leg seems to be helping with that.

Ultra Girl Full Body is great for getting in a full workout in a short amount of time.

My personal favorites are Zoot Challenge and the Uphill Grind. I like them because they suit my style of riding, making them "easy". I dislike No Slackers because it always seems hard.

If you do a search on Spinervals you'll see about 100 pages of them being discussed.

V.

Jenn
05-06-2007, 11:01 AM
So, can I use the Spinervals with my LeMond Revmaster or do you have to be on your bike?
I'm burning out on my Ipod progams that I have dowloaded they aren't working me hard enough anymore.

Veronica
05-06-2007, 01:11 PM
From spinervals.com

Compatible with LeMond RevMaster and all stationary trainers.

V.

Starfish
05-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Wow, Veronica, sounds like you had an awesome ride! And, thanks for this post. I have been dragging my feet on investing in Spinervals. This is a good testimony.

Veronica
05-06-2007, 05:47 PM
Yep, it was a pretty good ride. The ride from my house to Morgan Territory is 26 miles and climbs just over 2400 feet. There is always a headwind on a 7 mile section before the turn to Morgan Territory that slopes up 1 to 2%. Morgan Territory Rd. is a goat path, the epitome of bad pavement. But it is shaded and pretty. I was thrilled to take 7 minutes off.

I feel like I'm really coming into some good form though because I continued on and had nearly the same time for the climb up Mines Rd to the Junction Cafe - 25 miles and 2500 feet of climb.

I'm not riding a ton of miles, but I am doing this video once a week.

But after 72 glorious miles my stomach rebelled against the new drink I was trying out. I had accomplished the primary goal of the ride at that point and I was just slogging out the rest. I was out in the middle of nowhere, with cars coming by every twenty minutes or so. I knew Thom should be coming along. I was so disappointed every time I heard a car and then it wasn't him. My stomach was so upset, I couldn't drink even water on the bike. I was stopping every mile, letting my HR drop and then drinking. I was on the final climb up Hamilton (10% avg. grade) and if my HR got above 160 I felt like I would hurl. Normally when I climb this my HR is above 175! But again, even though I was keeping my HR down, my speed was comparable to past climbs up Hamilton. I figure it's got to be the tape.

V.

Thorn
05-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Glad to hear your report, Veronica. Maybe my experience has not been a fluke. I'm convinced that my Spinervals usage has helped.

We bought a couple DVDs and used them quite religiously this winter. When we got out this spring we really felt stronger, but, were we? Was it a fluke? We went out this weekend and did a hilly 50 miler. Yes, no mountains here...but we have sections of road that have been described as "cliffs with asphalt hung on them"--short (in the 1/2-2 mile range), but with sections that often pop clearly into 20%. I actually took some hills sitting down that I never could have before and never ran into a hill that had me in the "oh, my....I can't stop to get out of the cleats, but I don't think I can keep going, either" state.

I'm not in your caliber, but this year, I am a much more comfortable plodder. I guess maybe I should stop calling CT names and thank him? Hmmm....naw....:rolleyes: