PDA

View Full Version : heart rates

hellosunshine
05-05-2007, 10:42 AM
ok,for this year ive been time trial racing at a hr 10 beats below what it was last year-i cant seem to "get it up"except when im bunch riding,when i can almost reach what i was last year.

now,over 10 miles im a bout 1-2mins slower,over 25,well,i did a 1.08 and last year i did a 1.04,but ive only dopne one 25 so far this year,tomorrow is my first 50 of the year,hmm.

only thing thats kinda altered is prob my sleep has been a bit poor,wake abpout 3-4 times a night for a pee or whatever.and ive lost weight.

(boring)

had anyone else found their hr/speed/recovery strangely way off mark and for what reasons???

dr did say my sodium and calcium blood levels were low and i was a bit thin.other wise,should i

A.stop worrying
B.accept the fact that i was never good atsport and become a recreational cyclist
C.my coach hasnt commented on it so maybe i should stick with the A option.

RoadRaven
05-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Sunshine, I suspect one of two things...

You are unwell (eg, the flu... it is hard to get heart rate up when you are sick).

The second thing I strongly suspect is that you are fitter than you were a year ago, and your heart can handle exercise much more efficiently. Therefore, you can do the same ride, at the same effort/speed... but your heart is much more relaxed about it and ready for you to "step up".

:D

Def choose "A". (And talk with your coach if you are concerned.)

Jolt
05-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah, maybe you're just in better shape this year--if so, that's great! I wish I could keep my heart rate down--it sometimes goes over 200 climbing certain hills (on the bike or running)!

equus123
05-15-2007, 10:14 AM
I would agree that you are fitter than last year but the fact that you are slower at the same distance seems to cancel that option out. If you are fitter then: you should either complete the same distance with the same time but a lower HR -or- complete the same distance in a shorter time with the same HR. Make sense?

What pops into my head would be possibilities of overtraining - does that seem to be the case for you? Do you feel well -or- are you tired, lethargic, blah, bored, unmotivated?

Are you under more stress than normal? Are your eating habits the same? There are endless possibilities but maybe you can narrow it down to a few? :o Keep us posted!

smilingcat
05-15-2007, 03:24 PM
option A with proper sleep me think.

smilingcat