View Full Version : bunions????

stella
05-03-2007, 05:19 PM
I've got a bunion and it hurts like ****. this is new. I've had this for about 1 year and today, after riding for a few hours at a reasonable pace...it has been killing me.

anyone experience this before? anyone see a podiatrist about this? if so, what do they do to get rid of it?

(my schedule is pretty tight until the end of july...then I'll see an MD, just need help in the interim to make it bearable).

thanks!

anakiwa
05-03-2007, 05:47 PM
Are your shoes wide enough? I'd start by making sure the toebox of your cycling shoes is wide enough to accomodate the bunion (and while you're at it, look at the shoes you wear when you're not on a bike- they should be plenty wide and high heels are a definite No-No).

stella
05-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Are your shoes wide enough? I'd start by making sure the toebox of your cycling shoes is wide enough to accomodate the bunion (and while you're at it, look at the shoes you wear when you're not on a bike- they should be plenty wide and high heels are a definite No-No).

good point, I think I may have tightened the shoes more than I normally do. the toe box area is wide enough...

off bike: only flats (I've had arthritis in my feet since I was 10y/o) so...high heels were never an option for me.

teigyr
05-03-2007, 06:31 PM
I can relate! This is what I've been told - my feet have to be operated on at some point. The earlier the better but I've been putting it way off. In the meantime, yes a large toebox is important. I found some Specialized shoes (Torch model) that despite the fact they're womens, they fit me well. My running shoes are mens because I can get those in a wider width. If you're like me, pressure on the bunion will make it spasm and it doesn't go away easily. Even after the pressure is off my foot, it'll hurt for a long time.

Orthotics might help too :)

stella
05-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I can relate! This is what I've been told - my feet have to be operated on at some point. The earlier the better but I've been putting it way off. In the meantime, yes a large toebox is important. I found some Specialized shoes (Torch model) that despite the fact they're womens, they fit me well. My running shoes are mens because I can get those in a wider width. If you're like me, pressure on the bunion will make it spasm and it doesn't go away easily. Even after the pressure is off my foot, it'll hurt for a long time.

Orthotics might help too :)

funny you mention specialized shoes--that is what I wear now. I have (or, should say: HAD) a very narrow foot (including toebox) until I developed this problem.

I know an operation is in my future....just not looking forward to it!

chickwhorips
05-04-2007, 08:14 AM
i had surgery on both of my feet at the beginning of the year. i had bunionettes corrected (bunions but on the little toe). i am still sore now, but my feet aren't completely healed yet. though i can wear shoes that i wasn't able to wear before, and my feet don't go numb in my cycling shoes.

i also have heard of people getting their bunions fixed and have great results. i recommend seeing a podiatrist, if anything to have them looked at. if they aren't that bad you may be able to just get orthotics and there are other non surgical things you can do that may help, if you are against surgery.

hope it helps. i know how horrible feet pain is.

SalsaMTB
05-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I have the same problem. My cycling shoes really don't bother me though, but heels are horrible. I do find once they are irritated, I need to take it easy for a day because I get swelling so shoes that don't typically bother it will. I haven't talked to a doctor about it, but it's my understanding that only surgery will correct it. My father and mother inlaw had the surgery and were walking in a day.