PDA

View Full Version : Arch supports in cycling shoes?

Jenn
05-03-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm not saying my Podiatrist doesn't know what he is talking about, but I really think I need some arch supports in my spinning and cycling shoes. NONE of this started until I started cycling and spinning. I know when I'm out of the saddle and climbing and doing jumps I can feel it in my arch!! He doesn't think that's possible, but I swear guys, I feel it. So today I took out my inserts in my old running shoes and put them in my spinning shoes and I could feel the support there.
Anyway, was just wondering if anybody had heard about that, I'm REALLY trying to avoid the cortisone injection, but now my other foot is starting to hurt.:(

teigyr
05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
Here's a link to a type that PT's make:

http://www.sidas.com/

They're custom made and go into cycling shoes. I am getting some this month as a matter of fact. I wore/wear them in running shoes and my feet are pretty messed up in general so I figure it'll help having them in my cycling shoes. I bet if you look, you can find a PT in your area (or a podiatrist or orthopedic person) who does these :D

Batbike
05-03-2007, 11:30 AM
I have customized orthodics because of a HIGH arch and other weird feet problems -- without them I cannot ride more than 8 miles without total foot pain! I got them through orthopedist who sent me to sports therapist to do mold. I am on second pair. If you have feet problems, it is worth looking into!

Jenn
05-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Thank you, I thought there HAD to be something out there!! My problem is our Insurance won't cover orthotics, only if your a diabetic (Which I'm still trying to figure that one out.) But anyway, if we had to pay out of pocket, any ideas on what I'm looking at?

Offthegrid
05-03-2007, 11:55 AM
I have custom orthotics -- two pairs in fact, one for running and one for cycling. First pair was covered by insurance but would have cost $350.

However, you can try something call a BFO. It's an over-the-counter type that I got for my podiatrist for the meantime and were $20 through the office.

PowerSteps also makes cycling insoles.

teigyr
05-03-2007, 12:03 PM
Mine are $150 but it's for one pair only and they are only for cycling. I can move them between my cycling and spinning shoes but I guess the foot placement would be different for running so I'll have to get different ones for that.

Sometimes insurance will pay but I know it can be a struggle!

Jenn
05-03-2007, 12:12 PM
teigyr thanks for the link, unfortuantely they are all in Taos or Santa Fe which is a ways from us. I'm going to look around though and talk to my Podiatrist on Tuesday when I see him. Do you think I may be better off going to a Sprots Medicine Dr.?

teigyr
05-03-2007, 12:42 PM
You know, I think so. Here's why...ages ago when I first got running orthotics (was in elementary school!), I went through a podiatrist. It turns out though it goes beyond my really ugly and deformed feet which is usually the case. When I went to a PT the next time, they found out I had a dominant side and on the other side, muscles had atrophied a bit in my calf. It was freaky, there was almost an inch difference! They did the orthotics but also took the rest of my body into consideration.

Maybe it's overkill but I think a sports person or physical therapist will look beyond the feet, if that makes sense. Maybe for a normal person a podiatrist is ok but if you do a lot of activity, a sports person would be better.

Jenn
05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Yea, I agree, I think I'm going to look for a sports med dr. I called the LBS and they said they have inserts but it's mostly for people that have NO arch not like me, mine is like the freaking Gate to St Louis!! He did say Speciaized made and arch support but I have to go look at them.
The whole thing with looking at your whole body, I think I need to have it done because I ran for YEARS but had to stop because of constant pain in my left hip and mid back pain.
Maybe it's just that.....well, this aging thing SUCKS!:D

KnottedYet
05-03-2007, 02:07 PM
if you can, go see a sports med PT. Meanwhile, try a pair of Berry Superfeet if you get the chance. Or the Green if Berry doesn't feel right. Gray is supposed to be more for biking, but from the sounds of your arch it might not work.

ehirsch83
05-03-2007, 02:31 PM
Yea, I agree, I think I'm going to look for a sports med dr. I called the LBS and they said they have inserts but it's mostly for people that have NO arch not like me, mine is like the freaking Gate to St Louis!! He did say Speciaized made and arch support but I have to go look at them.
The whole thing with looking at your whole body, I think I need to have it done because I ran for YEARS but had to stop because of constant pain in my left hip and mid back pain.
Maybe it's just that.....well, this aging thing SUCKS!:D

Jenn- go to sportz outdoors and ask for james or for tricia!
I have specialized women's shoes ( i over pronate) and they have support and keep my foot where it is supposed to be. I also have the specialized inserts and I love them.

nic840
05-03-2007, 03:09 PM
I was having numbness issues in my feet after about 20 miles and the LBS checked out my shoes...Shimano SPDs.... and he said the fit/width was fine but they lack arch support. He recommended I try the Specialized inserts, there are three kinds, Minimal/Normal/Supportive. I believe they are red/blue/green??? not sure.
Anyways I got them on a Friday, wore them for 65 miles on Saturday and the numbness was almost gone. They were great and only about $45. Way better than buying new shoes or paying a podiatrist to make orthotics. My feet are average arched, got the blue ones.
His explaination is that unlike running the pressure on your feet is limited to the front half of your foot therefore the arch support is different than in a running shoe. It feels like the support in the cycling insole is more pushed up under the front of my arch.
Give a shot the sizing is in cycling shoe sizing. I wear a 49 and got a size 49/50. Good Luck - Nic

ehirsch83
05-03-2007, 04:04 PM
I was having numbness issues in my feet after about 20 miles and the LBS checked out my shoes...Shimano SPDs.... and he said the fit/width was fine but they lack arch support. He recommended I try the Specialized inserts, there are three kinds, Minimal/Normal/Supportive. I believe they are red/blue/green??? not sure.
Anyways I got them on a Friday, wore them for 65 miles on Saturday and the numbness was almost gone. They were great and only about $45. Way better than buying new shoes or paying a podiatrist to make orthotics. My feet are average arched, got the blue ones.
His explaination is that unlike running the pressure on your feet is limited to the front half of your foot therefore the arch support is different than in a running shoe. It feels like the support in the cycling insole is more pushed up under the front of my arch.
Give a shot the sizing is in cycling shoe sizing. I wear a 49 and got a size 49/50. Good Luck - Nic

Interesting Nic- I was having numbness also, and I contributed it to my shoes being to big(they were) but when I got smaller shoes, I also got the specialized inserts- now I am curious as to which, the inserts or the shoes- or both combined, helped stop the numbing sensation

anakiwa
05-03-2007, 05:52 PM
if you can, go see a sports med PT. Meanwhile, try a pair of Berry Superfeet if you get the chance. Or the Green if Berry doesn't feel right. Gray is supposed to be more for biking, but from the sounds of your arch it might not work.

I second the Superfeet idea. I have custom orthotics which are great, but I'm not all that convinced they're any better than the Superfeet I was using until they came in (mine took several weeks to get). The Superfeet are a lot less expensive (and there's no need for appointments, wait time, etc.)

Batbike
05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
But anyway, if we had to pay out of pocket, any ideas on what I'm looking at?

I had NO insurance either: each pair cost me $300, but I figure it is worth it because there is never a day that I don't use my feet! ;)

Batbike
05-03-2007, 06:35 PM
I second the Superfeet idea. I have custom orthotics which are great, but I'm not all that convinced they're any better than the Superfeet I was using until they came in (mine took several weeks to get). The Superfeet are a lot less expensive (and there's no need for appointments, wait time, etc.)

I never heard of Superfeet -- is that a brand?

Jenn -- I too have a VERY HIGH arch and have had trouble running all my life because of my high arch. In fact, when I got my inserts, the PT Sports guy said "I bet you could never run with those feet". The inserts he molded for me are for all athletics, even daily walking, not specific to cycling. Although he did specify thickness and a few other "tweaks" for my cycling shoes. With a high arch, your feet do all kinds of weird things (maybe everybody's does), especially as you age and things wear down or out or whatever.

As for cost, one pair is $300 but lasts about 3 years. So, I figure it is like buying one expensive $100 pair of shoes each year -- one COMFY pair of shoes each year!

KnottedYet
05-03-2007, 08:45 PM
SUPERFEET!

http://www.superfeet.com/

They have a big ol' building just up the road from me. I like their products, especially the new Berry/Orange with the met arch pad. (very nice for bikers who get numb or have pain in the toes or balls of the feet.)

I also like the brand "10 Seconds" which is about half the price. Can be much harder to find, though. I wouldn't buy an insole unless you could try it in person.

Jenn
05-04-2007, 05:27 AM
Bless you all for the AWESOME info, and my feet thank you to!:D
I'm also assuming which I forgot to mention that I'm getting a burning sensation along the bottom outside of my right foot (the bad foot) on long rides, and I'm guessing it is all linked together....ugh...I just want to feel better I'm sick of this.

nic840
05-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah Superfeet are great! My husband has them in every single pair of shoes he owns (green ones). He immediately takes out the insoles and puts the superfeet in. He even has them in his slippers!
I really haven't needed them until I started riding. I ended up getting the specialized inserts (previous post). Didn't even think about superfeet.
Was at REI yesterday and the superfeet are currently on sale through
May 13th. Give them a shot. There is a little reference book near the display that explains the different colors/uses for each one. -N

KnottedYet
05-05-2007, 11:51 AM
Don't be afraid to buy Superfeet outside your activity color, too. Each has a slightly different profile and shape, and you just might find that a "running" insole feels fabulous in your bike shoes! Ya never know...

If you want to make a day of it (if you have the time and patience) take your bike shoes in and try every color. REI has demo models of every color in every size.

Glad to know about the Superfeet sale. Gotta go get Sknot a pair, since he's outgrown his old ones.

SouthernBelle
05-05-2007, 04:53 PM
I'll 3rd the vote for superfeet. I wore a pair of shoes today that i haven't gotten inserts for yet and paid dearly. Gotta go get some more.

Kano
05-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Got an REI ad on the kitchen counter -- they've got these Superfeet things on sale til next weekend!

Karen in Boise

ace
05-05-2007, 05:39 PM
I have custom orthotics, but they don't work/fit my bike shoes. I tried superfeet, but they're not very sturdy and just weren't supportive enough. At my chiro's urging, I got specialized inserts. I really like them, they are more supportive to both my arch and metatarsal area. You should be able to get them at any bike shop that sells a lot of Specialized stuff.

Jenn
05-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm going to try the super feet once we get some $$. Until then you are not going to belive this. I saw these arch supports at Walmart of all places and I bought a pair and put them in my regulard nike's. OMG what a difference my heel pain is down by at LEAST 80%. So, I put them in my cycling shoes yesterday, and what a difference!! I'm starting to wonder why my podiatrist didn't mention sometime of arch support awhile back. Anyway, I'm taking my $5.00 pair of arch supports for him to look at on Tuesday...should be interesting.:rolleyes:

KnottedYet
05-06-2007, 02:01 PM
the podiatrist I worked with always (well, unless there was an obvious defect) had patients try cheap over-the-counter arch supports/insoles and physical therapy before he would send them to get custom orthotics.

And there are ways to customize plain ol' $5 Walmart insoles that can make them just as corrective as a custom $375 pair. (though they won't last as long, maybe a year or two instead of 10 years)

Jenn
05-06-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, I know they work, and it's soooo NICE not to be in pain!! It will be interesing to see what he says about them on Tuesday. I'm tempted not to go back because this will be visit 3 with no relief but my pocket is feeling it. :(

KnottedYet
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
You said your appt is Tuesday. What if you call tomorrow and reschedule that appt for next week instead? Give the OTC arch supports a chance to do their magic? Maybe you'll go to 99% relief! (but 80% is fabulous as it is!)

If the OTC insoles solve your problem, that would save you the $$ of going to the podiatrist. And if they don't after a good week, then you'll have more info for the podiatrist to work with. ("at two days they felt like this, at 5 days they felt like this, and this is still sore, and that hurts at the end of the day" all valuable info!)

Jenn
05-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Knotted, you read my mind. I told my mother tonight that I was thinking about putting off my appointment until a week or 2. Of course, being a mother and he's a friend of hers she disagreed.
But, I'm going to do just that. I'm waiting, you are right! It's kinda sad when you fork out a couple of hundred bucks for visits and x-rays and tapings, but oh, wait he did GLUE a thin pad in the heel of my running shoes, which did NOTHING...he said if this doesn't work....Cortisone injections next.:rolleyes:
Then I go to Walmart and find a 5 buck pair of inserts and I'm feeling ALOT better then anytime I left his office.
I'm gonna go tomorrow buy some more of my 5 dollar supports put them in ALL my shoes and I'll see the Dr in a few weeks. It's sad when you can help yourself MORE then a Dr can.:o

snapdragen
05-06-2007, 07:32 PM
Another OTC brand is Sole (http://http://www2.yoursole.com/home?id=K95mGFLX)

KnottedYet
05-06-2007, 07:37 PM
Doctors tend to focus on the sexy medical interventions. That's just the way their minds work, and they are great for that.

PT's tend to focus on the cheap in $$/dear in hard work/do it yourself kind of interventions.

It's good to get a variety of approaches. At least with the x-rays and stuff, you now know you don't have a defect that needs big-time help (like a stress fracture or a profound bone spur) so you are now able to put your effort and interest into finding the perfect OTC insole. And if it turns out to be the Walmart insole, buy some spares for the future!

You might find that some brands or models work better for your feet on the bike, while a different one feels better running, etc. Or that as your feet get stronger you start feeling like you'd prefer a little more suport at another spot, or a little more or less cushion, or a deeper heel cup, whatever.

There are a ton of variations! Have fun with it!

(and if you want some foot exercises, let us know. We'd be happy to share!)

teigyr
05-06-2007, 07:50 PM
We broke down and got OTC orthotics!

Re the foot exercises, please share! Please?

KnottedYet
05-06-2007, 08:04 PM
DON'T DO ANY OF THESE IF THEY HURT OR FEEL "WRONG"!!!!

1. Fist and Splay Toes
Make a "fist" with your toes as tight as you can and hold it for 5 seconds.
Splay your toes out wide as you can and hold that for 5 seconds.
Repeat 5 times each foot.
(warning: weak or reluctant muscles in your foot might cramp in complaint. Then make looser fists and gentler splays until they're stronger.)

2. Toe Wave
Make a "fist" one toe at a time, starting with the pinky toe. Open the fist one toe at a time starting with the pinky toe.
Make a fist starting with the big toe. Open it starting with the big toe.
(warning: this is almost impossible to do, but it will perk up your foot muscles and make your friends and loved ones laugh... until they try to do it!)

3. Heel Stand/Toe Stand
Hold to a kitchen counter for balance. Slowly take 5 seconds to rise up onto your toes and lower back down.
Repeat 5 times
Holding the kitchen counter, slowly take 5 seconds pull your forefeet up until you are standing on your heels only and lower back down.
Repeat 5 times.

4. Single Leg Balance
Hold onto a kitchen counter for balance. Stand on one leg. Use your core musles to hold your lower belly flat. Squeeze your buns. Unlock your knee. Feel your pinky toes doing their share of the work. (don't let your big toes and heels do all the work) Balance until you start to get tired. Rest and switch to the other side.
Repeat 5 times.

Flybye
05-07-2007, 06:15 AM
These have helped me immensely and this is my first year riding:

www.superfeet.com - the grey insoles for riding.

They have a demo on the site about what your feet do on the spin in your shoes and how their insoles help.

The other thing that has helped greatly is to put a bottle of water in the freezer - just a regular bottle like you'd buy at the grocery store - and take it out after rides and roll my arches and heel over the bottle for about 10-15 minutes per foot. Ahhhhhh - feels great.

My mom's podiatrist gave her this tip and I hogged it.

Hope this helps. Be sure to stretch your feet good both before and after the ride.

Cindy

teigyr
05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Knot, thanks for the exercises! Major cramping so I guess I have work to do.

I tried the Superfeet! I wasn't sure what to think because my feet didn't really feel any different. I will say, however, that I think my pedal stroke got better and I was a lot stronger the second time I wore them. Then again, it could just be the training :rolleyes:

DH got some too. They're a bit expensive for OTC orthotics but I think everyone's reviews of them means a lot therefore it's worth it.

Jenn
05-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I really think I need to try the Superfeet. Although being off for the last 3 days, my heel pain is almost gone....hmmm..

F8th637
05-10-2007, 10:52 AM
DH got some too. They're a bit expensive for OTC orthotics but I think everyone's reviews of them means a lot therefore it's worth it.

$31.46 on Amazon is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $180 for custom orthotics I had to get made that I can barely find shoes to wear them with. ;)