PDA

View Full Version : SLC Ride of Silence May 16th

sulis
05-03-2007, 07:47 AM
I plan on attending. I would love to meet and ride with any other TE ladies. Plus - I know I could keep up with all you speedy riders since its limited to 12mph :D

The Ride of Silence™ will begin in North America and roll across the globe. Cyclists will take to the roads in a silent procession to honor cyclists who have been killed or injured while cycling on public roadways. Although cyclists have a legal right to share the road with motorists, the motoring public often isn't aware of these rights, and sometimes not aware of the cyclists themselves. The Ride Of Silence asks its cyclists to ride no faster than 12 mph and remain silent during the ride. There is no brochure, no sponsors, no registration fees and no t-shirt. The ride, which is held during Bike Safety month, aims to raise the awareness of motorists, police and city officials that cyclists have a legal right to the public roadways. The ride is also a chance to show respect for those who have been killed or injured.

Meet at: The Galavan Center skating rink on 200 South between State and Main. Be early so we can have all riders signed in and get on the road right at 7:00 PM

e1b2
05-05-2007, 07:09 AM
I'd like to know more about this ride!! Just show up? How long is the ride....what's the route? I'm just getting started this spring, and WAY out of shape.

Thanks.
Lisa:D

KnottedYet
05-05-2007, 08:34 AM
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php

There are rides all across the country.

Anyone interested in any of the Rides can look up their city and get info about their Ride. Many cities also have a contact person listed to get more specific info.

I feel very strongly about the Rides, and hope many of us TE'rs can participate.

sulis
05-05-2007, 09:19 AM
I'd like to know more about this ride!! Just show up? How long is the ride....what's the route? I'm just getting started this spring, and WAY out of shape.

Thanks.
Lisa:D

Hi e1B2. Welcome to TE.
I believe its a ride for 1 hour no more than 12 MPH - so probably about 10 to 12 miles. It will go on a flat route from the Galivan center downtown. Its free. Just show up and sign in. I believe BBTC is hosting it.

Hope to see you there.

yellow
05-13-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm planning on being there. I'll wear one of my Amici Veloci jerseys, so I should be easy to find!

Lifesgreat
05-13-2007, 08:05 PM
I will not be able to be there :(

Dr. Liz
05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
We've got a previous commitment, or we would be there. Next year, I'll pay closer attention so we've got more warning, and we'll be there. Are thoughts are with you all.

AuntieK
05-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm planning on coming. I'll be wearing the matching Amici Veloci jersey, so I can be twins with Yellow. :cool:

yellow
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
I'm planning on coming. I'll be wearing the matching Amici Veloci jersey, so I can be twins with Yellow. :cool:
Yay! :D

I'll probably be on my mtn bike so's I can keep under the speed limit. Dark grey Titus Racer X. I'll be with my friend Martha and her hubby.

AuntieK
05-16-2007, 12:08 PM
I'll keep my eye out for ya, Yellow! Any suggestions as to where I ought to park?

yellow
05-16-2007, 12:29 PM
You can always park at my house and ride down with us. Or somewhere in the Aves. I'll pm you my address again if you want to meet up at Casa Yellow. We're planning on shoving off at 6:30 ish.

BikeDutchess
05-17-2007, 11:51 AM
That was a great ride last night. It's the first year I participated. What an odd experience to have such a large group of cyclists (1) be so quiet and (2) ride so slowly!

mimitabby
05-17-2007, 11:59 AM
how big was your group? (and welcome to TE!)

AuntieK
05-17-2007, 12:23 PM
That was a great ride last night. It's the first year I participated. What an odd experience to have such a large group of cyclists (1) be so quiet and (2) ride so slowly!

Welcome to TE, BikeDutchess!
It was my first year as well. It was quite reverent wasn't it. My favorite part was the little boy who stood waving at us on the side of the road yelling, "Are you guys in a race?" Yes, a very low speed race. :)

I would guess there were about 100 participants?

yellow
05-17-2007, 04:48 PM
I estimated between 60 and 80, but who knows. We (AuntieK and my friend Martha and I) were in the middle of the pack to start and then the front at the end. Could have easily been 100.

BikeDutchess, what were you wearing? Did you see a couple of women in this jersey (the mostly red one)? That would have been AK and I! I was on a mtn bike but AK was on a road bike.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1/tasdan/Rides/LRRH/LRRH097.jpg

BikeDutchess
05-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, I saw you gals! Those jerseys are eye-catching! I was wearing the yellow LiveStrong t-shirt (it was LiveStrong Day too...) and the brown capris. I was riding with my hubby and daughter.

AuntieK
05-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Oh, yes! I remember you! Glad you found us here. :)