PDA

View Full Version : Check This Out

Python
05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Having a quiet period at work this morning I got my calculator out and decided to see how much money I would save by using my bike instead of my car over a year.

It came to a staggering £2875 ($5716) and that's not counting trips to the local shop or our supermarket 2 miles away:eek:

Add to that the health benefits, feel-good factor and easy free parking and I wonder why I didn't take up cycling years ago. Still, better late than never:D

Laterider21958
05-03-2007, 09:43 PM
During the next "quiet time" at work you may be able to draw up a list of uses for your new "Bicycle Fund" i.e. new bike/s, cycling holiday, early retirement fund etc.

I think that people are so used to hopping in the car and ducking out to the local shops etc, that they do no realise just what that convenience is costing.

You have the added value of improvement to your health without joining a gym (just calculate that saving!), as well as doing something to improve the environment.

Duck on Wheels
05-04-2007, 02:55 AM
Hey ... here's a thought. ;) Maybe wannabe cycle-commuters could sell CO2 quotas and make an even bigger profit on the switch. :D

Trek420
05-04-2007, 06:02 AM
Hey ... here's a thought. ;) Maybe wannabe cycle-commuters could sell CO2 quotas and make an even bigger profit on the switch. :D

Duck, I like the way you think.

"Hey, you in the Humvee. Why not pay me to ride my bike?"

carpaltunnel
05-05-2007, 02:25 PM
Duck and Treck, great idea.
On the topic of carbon emissions, I attended a lecture by Dr. Henry N. Pollack, www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/public/experts/ExpDisplay.php?ExpID=611
He covered the latest science on global warming. It increases to be more sobering. Although individuals are very concerned and beginning to take action, politicians and government in the US is largely unresponsive. We need to communicate with our elected officials that from now on our votes will be determined by their action on this topic.
Sorry to drift your thread, Python.