PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Utah Centuries

Alex
05-02-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm trying to find a good century to do after LRRH. Does anyone know anything about the Desperado Dual? (There is a 100-mile option.) It starts in Panguitch.

www.desperadodual.com

How about the Dual State, Dual Century Challenge? This one starts in Tremonton.

http://www.tailwinds-tours.com/centuries/dualcenturychallenge.html

Are there other Utah centuries I should consider?

Thanks.

Alex

SadieKate
05-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Did you try a search? Yellow wrote up a report on her Desperado ride last year.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9548&highlight=desperado

Alex
05-03-2007, 06:41 AM
SK, I did do a search and I read the thread on the Desperado Dual before I posted, but thanks for providing the link! :)

Alex

yellow
05-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Alex, there are several other rides in the area. ULCER is in August, I think. I haven't done that one, but I think that some of the other UT county gals have. Maybe they can tell you a little bit about that one.

I am hoping to do the Heber Valley Century this fall, but I don't think they are having it this year :( . I wanted to do that one last year but had to bail for some reason I now can't remember. It was in September.

And this weekend is Ghost Town (http://web.bike2bike.biz/Rides/GhostTownCenturyApril212007/tabid/117/Default.aspx). You can sign up day-of for that one. I'd probably be doing it if I were there this weekend (I'm going to be riding the Wine Country Century in Cali instead :D ). CyclaSutra did that one a few years back and enjoyed it. It's about the only time of year you'd really want to ride in Tooele since it get so hot later.

Color Country Cycling Club in southern Utah has some "unsupported" rides. I don't know anything about those. They did do a great job with Desperado, though. The 100 for Desperado is a pretty flat ride with the exception of the climb up red canyon to Ruby's (which is really pretty short). The section to Antimony is pretty; a little bumpy (road isn't in great shape) but it's a pleasant stretch. The last 20+ miles on SR 89 kind of sucks (big trucks, busy highway) and is windy, but if you find folks to share pulls with it's tolerable. The 2nd hundred is really purty, goes up to Panguitch Lake and on some nice back roads. But you can't ride the 2nd hundred (supported) without riding the first hundred. They bumped the time up by two weeks to allow for more time between DD and LOTOJA, which means that it will likely be pretty hot (early August).

Alex
05-10-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Yellow! Too bad about the last 20 miles on 89. That doesn't sound like too much fun...

Alex

JenLeath
05-11-2007, 08:35 AM
I have never done the SL Century, but I have several friends who do it every year. They say that they start earlier than the pack, and things work out well. As for ULCER, they used to ride on Redwood Rd. in Saratoga Springs (I think), and their complaint was the traffic was pretty bad and the shoulder was quite narrow. But I heard somewhere that they changed the route, so it may be better now.

There is a tri club locally www.desert-sharks.com , they post rides in the forum. I know there is one this weekend. Quite a few of them are training for Ironman CDA so they usually ride 80-100 miles. They are very friendly and love company, shark or not.

Jen L