PDA

View Full Version : Barlow Trail Century??

Aint Doody
05-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Anbody doing this one? Anbody done it before? I signed up today.

Susan

http://www.rivercitybicycles.com/article.php?sid=40&PHPSESSID=581fb779b645020a7983dc258c6a97ad&osCsid=f388f9e0556e135f6632bb5fa4a3556d

Dianyla
05-02-2007, 04:20 PM
I did it two years ago - it's a great course with nice scenery. It was quite well supported when I did it in 2005, River City Bikes does a fabulous job.

I recommend you start as early as possible. If you start running out of time, consider turning around at the 40 mile mark to have an 80 mile round trip. The last 10 miles of ascent are the steepest and they took me about 2 hours to climb. As a result of which I got swept from the course by the SAG wagon about halfway down the descent and I didn't get to finish. :(

I'm not fit enough for it this year, but it's worth it. Have a fabulous time! :)

Aint Doody
06-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Well, I followed Dianyla's advice and turned around at the 40 mile rest stop. All I can say about this ride is "holy sh*%!" It was a killer. There are some climbs I had to get off and walk. Even though I've put in over 1400 miles this year--and on some considerable hills--I couldn't do that really steep stuff. I also looked around and figured that most of the women on this ride were in their 20's & 30's and I'm 58. So I didn't feel so bad about my "cross training." Plus the fact that it rained and was cold didn't make me feel any stronger! And the rain & clouds obscured all the views. :(

The rest stops were great. There was even a fire on the one at the 40 mile mark which felt wonderful. There was very little traffic, and if it had been clear I'm sure I'd have enjoyed it way more. I'm not too sure I'd attempt this one again.