PDA

View Full Version : Foot hurts...freaking out....

rocknrollgirl
05-02-2007, 01:59 AM
Holy Cow...please not an "itis" three weeks before the race.
I have a ache in my right heel. I am freaked out that it is the start of that plantar facia thing. I just got new shoes, so perhaps running in the old ones was the problem.

Why now....I was progressing so nicely.

GRRRHHHH.......

makbike
05-02-2007, 03:35 AM
You might try freezing a bottle filled 3/4 with water. Once frozen place the bottle on the floor and roll your sore foot back and forth on it. If you are not stretching your calf muscles you might add this into your route. Finally, don't walk around without shoes on your feet. Keep a pair of shoes next to your bed so that you can slip your feet into them when you get up to start your day.

Hope this helps and hope your foot heals quickly.

tattiefritter
05-02-2007, 04:00 AM
oh no! I can get heel pain if my calves are particularly tight (my calves are always tight) so I stretch them lots and lots. I have been doing 20 minutes of yoga stretching most nights after I run at lunchtime as since starting my yoga class I've realised how tight I am and I now notice it more. I also use superfeet insoles in all my shoes, green for normal shoes and blue for running, however I'm not sure I'd recommend making such a big change to your feet so close to a race as it took me a while to get used to them.

KSH
05-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Don't freak out. It might be something very minor.

Take a couple of rest days and then if it feels better, get back to the miles.

I know for me, I always have some odd pain going on in my lower legs.

One time, I ran 5 miles and afterwards I had this horrible pain in my achilles. I went to ride 30 miles and I could barely press on the pedal.

I rested one or two days... and it was gone, never to return.

Another time, when I was cycling, about 25 miles into a ride, I got this accute pain in my left knee. It hurt to pedal. I took 2 Advil, and poof! the pain was gone 15 minutes later.

Moral of the story: Sometimes we just get these odd pains. Back off and rest, and it will probably work itself out.

Good luck!

Wahine
05-02-2007, 07:33 AM
First and foremost... don't panic. It's likely just the change of shoes. You probably waited to long to change and now you'll have to adjust a bit. Try the water bottle thing suggested above and the calf stretches.

I'll try to find some other stuff for you today when I have time and if my internet is working at work.:mad: :mad:

Kitsune06
05-02-2007, 07:48 AM
Why the shoes beside the bed thing? Going barefoot is generally highly recommended for developing and maintaining foot and lower leg health, and can help plantar facitis if done regularly... or so I thought?

rocknrollgirl
05-02-2007, 08:07 AM
I did a light 2 miler in my new shoes on Saturday and it did not hurt. The heel feels bruised, that is the best way to describe it. Not a sharp stabbing pain, just achey like a bruise.

I have not run since Saturday. Been stretching and icing. I suspect it was caused by my calves and achilles getting tight. No aches there. Just the one spot in the heel.

Wahine
05-02-2007, 10:37 AM
Why the shoes beside the bed thing? Going barefoot is generally highly recommended for developing and maintaining foot and lower leg health, and can help plantar facitis if done regularly... or so I thought?

While it does help to strengthen the foot, just like other injuries, when you have an active inflammation going on you need to rest the area until the inflammation settles. By providing support of a shoe, you are giving the area more rest that without. I usually recommend Birks beside the bed, without heel straps. You get the support of the foot bed but still have to work your muscles a little to keep the sandal on.

BTW - RNR, plantar faciitis may not be your issue. I already PMed you about the running thing.

Jenn
05-02-2007, 01:38 PM
You might try freezing a bottle filled 3/4 with water. Once frozen place the bottle on the floor and roll your sore foot back and forth on it. If you are not stretching your calf muscles you might add this into your route. Finally, don't walk around without shoes on your feet. Keep a pair of shoes next to your bed so that you can slip your feet into them when you get up to start your day.

Hope this helps and hope your foot heals quickly.

YEP, ice, ice,ice....I have massive PF in my right foot with a MASSIVE heel spur as my podiatrist so nicely expressed to me. That and I'm telling you he told me NO barefoot at ALL. I bought Croc brand flip flops for the house, and they are like walking on marshmallows on your heel, it's a piece of heaven. I feel your pain, I was told I will NEVER run again which makes me sick because of the spur but I'll bike my butt off. But the ice, ibuprofin, and strectching is what he told me, and also he taped my foot which was awesome!!
I hope you feel better, I know....it sucks!!!:mad: