PDA

View Full Version : Back of Knee Dull Pain

telegirl
05-01-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm really not finding anything on this, but I have been having this real dull achy pain in the back of my knee for several days - Actually, it is something I have had on and off for quite some time. It gets worse when I sit (like the blood flow is being cut off to my knee) - especially driving. I was clearing mountain bike trails on Sunday and it got really bad after that and now I am having a hard time sitting for any time at work. It doesn't seem to get worse when I cycle and it does seem to get better when I stretch - But for some reason, it doesn't feel like a muscle pull to me.

Any ideas? I'm debating on whether to call my doctor, but I hate taking the time out of my day to sit in a doctor's office.......

Grog
05-01-2007, 10:21 AM
Usually back-of-knee pain is related to too high a saddle.

But yours sounds different...... It might be worth asking your doctor (or physiotherapist).

Zen
05-02-2007, 06:15 PM
The only structure that comes to mind in the back of the knee is the popliteus but the way you describe the pain throws me off. If there is sort of knot there it I would say popliteal tendonitis (aka Baker's cyst).

Rest and calf stretching for that.

Otherwise, I got no useful info. I'm not a doctor and I never even played one on TV

han-grrl
05-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Its hard to say, i would strongly recommend physio or a doctor looking at it. Numbness is not to be taken lightly. It could be a pinched nerve, or a muscle pinching on a nerve.

KnottedYet
05-02-2007, 06:43 PM
There's a blood vessel back there that might be needing some attention. At least call your doc and describe it to them, and see what they say?

Any pain in the calf?

Wahine
05-02-2007, 09:41 PM
Back of the knee pain is difficult to assess, even on someone that comes to see you in person. So any diagnoses I post here are purely speculation.

Baker's cyst or strain of the popliteus - maybe but doesn't really make sense that the pain gets worse with sitting.

Restricted blood flow - maybe, but again doesn't make a lot of sense since given the history you gave us.

So my best bet would be referred pain from somewhere else. I'd guess the back. A lot of back problems get worse with sitting and it would make sense that you could have strained your back while clearing trails. You don't have to have local back pain to get referred pain to the leg that is coming from the back. Also, you mention that the pain does not feel like a pulled muscle. Usually referred pain like I'm talking about feels like a dull toothache or a sharp shooting pain. Does the pain get distinctly better when you walk? Does it get better when you lie on your stomach. If these are true, you're almost certainly dealing with referred pain from the back.

So I would second the trip to the Doc or PT to get properly diagnosed. Especially if it persists for longer than 5 days.

telegirl
05-03-2007, 04:59 AM
So the vote goes to.......call the doctor/PT!:rolleyes:

Sheesh, weren't you guys supposed to solve this problem telepathically so that I wouldn't have to make the dreaded call?? :D

Wahine, the pain is more a dull toothache type pain, not a sharp, shooting pain and it does get better when I lie down and stretch out my leg. I have been having some lower back soreness, I thought from it being early season- got to have time to get my back on, you know. Knotted, there is some pain radiating down into my calf - but it also gets better when I stretch out my leg. Grog, the saddle height isn't an issue in my particular case, but you are right, that would have been my first thought as well- Zen, the cyst was something I thought of, but I don't feel any knot back there. Also, if you have watched any medical shows on TV, I think that qualifies you for offering medical advice. ;)

Thanks everyone and I am going to put in a call today -

han-grrl
05-03-2007, 09:21 AM
let us know how things go!