PDA

View Full Version : May 2007 TE-DC ride...?

Kalidurga
05-01-2007, 08:37 AM
Anyone interested in either a "noodle"-to-moderate-speed ride on the towpath, or a laid-back road ride through the Riley's Lock/Poolesville area this month? I'd be up for either, on pretty much any Sunday through the middle weeks of this month.

I put together a 30 mile route (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Less-River-Rd-Poolesville-Route) that avoids most of River Rd (except for the killer hill at the Mt. Nebo end. Weirdo that I am, I kind of liked that hill) and I've been wanting to try out. If you want to hammer, though, be prepared to either wait for me or arrange meeting spots ;)

7rider
05-01-2007, 08:51 AM
That route starts and ends at Riley's Lock?
I'd be up for a road route. While I don't know if "hammer" would be what I'd do, I'd certainly be willing to wait, or circle back when appropriate. Just don't expect me to circle back and do Mt. Nebo a second time! ;)

Kalidurga
05-01-2007, 05:15 PM
That route starts and ends at Riley's Lock?

Other start options could be either counter-clockwise from Edward's Ferry (though you have to ride a bit down the towpath to a porta-john) with Mt. Nebo coming at the end of the ride, or someplace in Poolesville. It seems that Riley's is an easy meeting spot for most folks, though. I really enjoyed my two rides through that area, but I did not like pedaling the stretch of River Rd between Riley's and Mt. Nebo, which is what inspired putting this route together. I also cut out the hill on River just as you come out of Riley's, by crossing River and heading down by the little general store and up to Montevideo. There's still a hill, but it's nowhere near as steep.

HillSlugger
05-02-2007, 05:57 AM
I'd be up for either, but I think I'd prefer a road ride. I want to do a Tri training ride/run this Sunday, but any other Sunday in May looks OK. Maybe best to skip Mother's Day?

7rider
05-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I'd be up for either, but I think I'd prefer a road ride. I want to do a Tri training ride/run this Sunday, but any other Sunday in May looks OK. Maybe best to skip Mother's Day?

When *is* Mother's Day??

divingbiker
05-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Sounds good to me. Any Sunday is good--no Mother's Day, church, or other obligations here. Looks like Mother's Day is on Sunday, May 13.

F8th637
05-02-2007, 07:38 AM
When *is* Mother's Day??

Mother's Day is May 13th. I put it in my calendar so I wouldn't forget.

When you say "noodle" do you mean "easy"? I'd love to join for a ride someday but don't want to be a burden since I'm still working up my endurance.

divingbiker
05-02-2007, 07:58 AM
When you say "noodle" do you mean "easy"? I'd love to join for a ride someday but don't want to be a burden since I'm still working up my endurance.

Well, I'd say "noodle" means "easy" on the towpath because it's flat. But any road ride in the Riley's Lock/Poolesville area isn't really easy, because it's fairly hilly.

Kalidurga (Tam) and I ride at a fairly slow pace, probably around a 13 mph average on this type of ride. MDHillSlug (Nicole) is training for a triathlon and pushes herself more, so is faster. And Regina (Regina :p ) has a bike that weighs about 2 pounds and has been at this a while and is kind of a speed demon. Aicabsolut (Catherine) is in a whole nother class, since she's about 20 years younger and is a racer.

So if you think you're up for a 30 mile ride that's kind of hilly, please join us! I don't have any problem taking breaks or waiting at gathering points or whatever, if you'd like to come.

HillSlugger
05-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Kalidurga (Tam) and I ride at a fairly slow pace, probably around a 13 mph average on this type of ride. MDHillSlug (Nicole) is training for a triathlon and pushes herself more, so is faster. And Regina (Regina :p ) has a bike that weighs about 2 pounds and has been at this a while and is kind of a speed demon. Aicabsolut (Catherine) is in a whole nother class, since she's about 20 years younger and is a racer.

You've pegged us all pretty well! :rolleyes:

Kalidurga
05-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Yup, Janice, very accurate classifications. I'll push myself occassionally, but more often than not I'm trying to enjoy the scenery as well as pedal, so I haven't put much effort into increasing my average speed. As long as we meet up periodically, I'm perfectly happy to watch everyone else recede in the distance :rolleyes: ;)

Fa8th637, definitely try to join us. We've got a relaxed, "no-drop (well, not entirely)" policy and I'm sure you'd find your place somewhere.

How about Sunday, 5/20?

7rider
05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Well, it's a tad more than 2 pounds! :p
As long as we're all in agreement with the goals of the ride, I am pretty flexible about how I ride. I'm certainly not an "all speed all the time" kinda rider.
May 20th should be okay.
Casual on-road ride? Re-group at set points? Tam's route?
Time? Everyone's welcome! As Tam said, we all find our spot.
And, most importantly, lunch afterwards?? ;)

HillSlugger
05-02-2007, 09:39 AM
Considering I push myself hard the other 3 Sundays, a more laid back ride once a month is always welcome (sorry I missed the last one :( ).

May 20 sounds good. Lunch afterwards also sounds good. Start before 10am?

Remember, on the Mt Nebo climb it's every rider for themselves, with a definite regrouping afterwards :eek: ;)

Edit to add:

BTW, who wants to join me for a 40 mile ride (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Espresso-Route-Variation-Northern-Start) to get me ready for my 50 mile Diabetes ride (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Stillwater-TOur-de-Cure-50)? I guess it would need to be May 27 or June 3.

Kalidurga
05-02-2007, 11:26 AM
May 20 sounds good. Lunch afterwards also sounds good. Start before 10am?

Remember, on the Mt Nebo climb it's every rider for themselves, with a definite regrouping afterwards :eek: ;)

9:30-10am on 5/20 works for me, for a casual (and I'm using that term subjectively) spin along either my route or any other through that area. If we start at Riley's, where do we want to have lunch? There are several good places at the Kentlands in Gaithersburg, if that's convenient for everyone on their way home. Or do we want to start in Poolesville and have lunch at Bassett's?

Re: Mt. Nebo- Good call. Y'all just be patient on the other side ;)

F8th637
05-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the reassuring words, ladies. I will definitely consider it!:)

withm
05-02-2007, 03:18 PM
Hillslug

Your 40 mile route goes right by my old house in Bethesda. Give it a wave for me when you go by -corner of Bradley & Fernwood. :)

I notice your Bikely routes are metric. Is there a way to change to miles?

7rider
05-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Bah!
This is what happens when I try to maintain multiple calendars.
On May 20th, I have to be in Alexandria at 1 p.m., so I don't think I will have time to be at Riley's Lock for a 10 a.m. ride (much less stay for lunch! :eek: )
Bummer. So, I may try for an early ride around my house, but I'll have to pass on the group ride.
Enjoy and I'll join you for the June ride.

HillSlugger
05-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Would it be possible for us to do this ride on the 13th or 27th instead? I forgot that I'm doing the ride-to-work on the 18th and Joe's Ride on the 19th and I like to have a day off each weekend for rest and family. If it needs to be the 20th I'll still try to make it but it will require "special permission" ;)

Thanks!

HillSlugger
05-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Hillslug

Your 40 mile route goes right by my old house in Bethesda. Give it a wave for me when you go by -corner of Bradley & Fernwood. :)

I thought I had the default as miles. Anyhoo, there's a radio button you should be able to click to change it to miles.

Kalidurga
05-02-2007, 05:35 PM

withm, the button Nicole mentioned is in the explore/welcome frame that allows you to choose km or mi. It should be down below the arrows that you use to navigate through the route.

Nicole, I think the 13th was nixed because it's Mother's Day. I've got family visiting over Memorial Day weekend, so I can't do that day. (What's with all the holidays/special days in May, anyway?) Do we want to postpone this until June?

divingbiker
05-02-2007, 06:30 PM
How about those of us who don't have Mother's Day obligations ride on May 13? We can plan another ride in June.

withm
05-02-2007, 08:47 PM
withm, the button Nicole mentioned is in the explore/welcome frame that allows you to choose km or mi. It should be down below the arrows that you use to navigate through the route.

Found it. Thanks.

7rider
05-03-2007, 06:36 AM
I think I could do the 13th. I won't be heading up to CT for mom's day (or FLA for the MIL), and I know my fur-kids don't have breakfast in bed planned for me. But the 12th might be better for me, so I could do the shop ride on the 13th. I think we're taking this Sunday off from that ride, so we'll be due back (or else they'll start talking! :cool: ).

HillSlugger
05-03-2007, 07:44 AM
The 12th looks OK for me.

7rider
05-04-2007, 08:55 AM
So....what happened?
Has the May TE-DC ride collapsed?

I'm up for something on the 12th, so is Nicole.
I'd prefer not to do a ride on the 13th.
I can't do the 19th or the 20th.

Thoughts?

divingbiker
05-04-2007, 09:25 AM
So....what happened?
Has the May TE-DC ride collapsed?

I'm up for something on the 12th, so is Nicole.
I'd prefer not to do a ride on the 13th.
I can't do the 19th or the 20th.

Thoughts?

I was waiting to see if Tam is available on the 12th. I can ride that day, but I don't want to be the snail holding you and Nicole back from riding faster.

Kalidurga
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Sorry, flew to Florida yesterday morning for a family visit and wasn't able to get on their computer until now.

I'm working on the 12th, but I could do the 13th. Basically, all of my Saturdays for the next several weeks are taken up by either work or cycling events (or both. On Sat. 6/2, I'm working but taking a 2 hr lunch break to Metro down to Clarendon for the CSC race). My Sundays are all open, though (except for this weekend, cause I'm in Florida, and Memorial Day wekend).

Kalidurga
05-07-2007, 02:46 PM
For some reason, my parents' computer wasn't able to connect to the TE site at all after my post on the 4th. Just got home, so...

Any chance of a May ride at this point? Do we want to aim for June?

aicabsolut
05-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Jumping in here late again. Those descriptions are too funny! I think you overestimate my abilities though.

I'm currently doing about a week long suffer-fest in Charlottesville to get back in shape--with finals and whatnot, most of the riding I've done over the past month or so has been a couple weekend races. It's possible I'd be back in time to do a ride on the 13th, but I don't think I'll be back by Sat morning. Then I'm off on the 17th to head home to Georgia for a while. I'll be back mid-June to maybe do a training race and the RFK crit or something. I'll be here till mid-July when I go off to Germany for a couple of weeks. Then I'll be back for the long term finishing my thesis and looking for a job and maybe joining a local racing team since I won't be able to do collegiate anymore.

I went for a ride up the CC trail to MacArthur, down into Glen Echo and back up that hill, then over to Persimmon Tree. I need to get all the cues of the local "Espresso Ride" (I've done it once, but I can't load it into MotionBased without paying them money). Might be a fun thing to do if anyone wants to head a little closer to the District. :p

FYI, I picked up some info on a MS ride in Charlottesville and over to the Blue Ridge on June 9-10 today. I don't think I'll be back here in time for it, but it looks great (wine country routes). Ride lengths range from 25-100 per day.

divingbiker
05-10-2007, 05:28 AM
Regina and I enjoyed the mountain biking at Rosaryville so much last weekend that we're going to do it again on Sunday. Anyone else want to join us?

Tam, this might be a good place and time for you to try out your 'cross bike on trails. There are very few logs, only two easy stream crossings, and not very many roots. It's just a lot of fun swoopy up and down trail riding. I think you'd do fine, even before taking a skills clinic.

We're carpooling and meeting at my house at 8:15 on Sunday. Hope you can join us!

HillSlugger
05-10-2007, 06:07 AM
I was going to post that a Sunday ride seems to have become a possibility for me again. However, it looks like I may be too late. Tam, would you still like to do a road ride?

7rider
05-10-2007, 06:50 AM
I was going to post that a Sunday ride seems to have become a possibility for me again. However, it looks like I may be too late. Tam, would you still like to do a road ride?

Is Saturday out for you?
I was planning on doing the Triathalon Loop - hoping to get about 40 miles in on Saturday. I'll be going by your neck o' the 'burbs, so join me if you can.

HillSlugger
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Is Saturday out for you?
I was planning on doing the Triathalon Loop - hoping to get about 40 miles in on Saturday. I'll be going by your neck o' the 'burbs, so join me if you can.

I saw that you were doing mtb on Sunday and forgot that other people get to bike both days of the weekend. I'm not sure which day would be best for me. Let me see if Saturday will work OK.

HillSlugger
05-10-2007, 11:01 AM
OK, yes, either day is doable for me, but not both.

Regina, you're still thinking about the "Triathlon" route for Saturday? What time? With the extra distance from home this would probably end up as a 42 mile ride for me. I hope I'm up for it!

7rider
05-10-2007, 03:47 PM
OK, yes, either day is doable for me, but not both.

Regina, you're still thinking about the "Triathlon" route for Saturday? What time? With the extra distance from home this would probably end up as a 42 mile ride for me. I hope I'm up for it!

I'm doing both. Yeah, we have no life.
Road ride on Saturday. Mtb on Sunday.
Nicole - how does 10 a.m. at Safeway work for you?

HillSlugger
05-11-2007, 08:28 AM
I'm doing both. Yeah, we have no life.
Road ride on Saturday. Mtb on Sunday.
Nicole - how does 10 a.m. at Safeway work for you?

9:30 or 10 would be OK

Kalidurga
05-11-2007, 05:35 PM
I was off yesterday so I went out and did a fast (for me) ride on the C&O up between Harper's Ferry & Shepherdstown. The bike is now a dusty mess and I'm thinking of spending Sunday with my kayak for the first time this year. The poor 'yak was so neglected last year :o

Tam, this might be a good place and time for you to try out your 'cross bike on trails. There are very few logs, only two easy stream crossings, and not very many roots. It's just a lot of fun swoopy up and down trail riding. I think you'd do fine, even before taking a skills clinic.

We're carpooling and meeting at my house at 8:15 on Sunday. Hope you can join us!

The idea of a relatively easy mtb ride at Rosaryville is mighty tempting, though. What time do you & Regina plan to get to the park? Depending on how early you're planning to get there, I could change my mind between now and Sunday morning and meet you there.

divingbiker
05-11-2007, 06:07 PM
The idea of a relatively easy mtb ride at Rosaryville is mighty tempting, though. What time do you & Regina plan to get to the park? Depending on how early you're planning to get there, I could change my mind between now and Sunday morning and meet you there.

We'll probably get there about 9 am. Not sure what route you'd take to get to Rosaryville, but you could come to my house and carpool with us. (I'm about two miles off the beltway.)

One of the women I work with (a fellow bike commuter) may meet us there also. You'll be home by noon, leaving plenty of time for the kayak!

Kalidurga
05-11-2007, 06:24 PM
You'll be home by noon, leaving plenty of time for the kayak!

Ha! Time, maybe, but probably not enough energy :rolleyes: About the carpooling: How many bikes can you fit on your car?

7rider
05-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Ha! Time, maybe, but probably not enough energy :rolleyes: About the carpooling: How many bikes can you fit on your car?

Oh, c'mon! Multi-sport days are always a trip!!!!
If we take my truck, I can put the trays on the roof rack and can carry four bikes plus riders and gear.

p.s. Would love to hook up and kayak with you. My 'yaks were neglected last year, too!

Kalidurga
05-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Hmmmm.... 8:15am for biking :eek: , or dragging the 'yak to Triadelphia a bit later in the morning...

I actually feel guilty for this (my poor 'yak), but I'm gonna make the effort to get up early enough to join you guys. How many miles are you planning to ride? Anyone have an extra chain guard? And, Janice, do you want to pm me directions to your house?

divingbiker
05-12-2007, 02:24 AM
I actually feel guilty for this (my poor 'yak), but I'm gonna make the effort to get up early enough to join you guys. How many miles are you planning to ride? Anyone have an extra chain guard? And, Janice, do you want to pm me directions to your house?

It's a 10 mile loop at Rosaryville. Don't know what a chain guard is. Will send you a pm with directions.

My bike rack holds 3 bikes, a tight fit with MTBs. We can make it work.

Now let's hope the weather holds out. They're now calling for thundershowers overnight; if that happens, we can't ride the trail.

Kalidurga
05-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Thunderstorms, huh? Blech. I'll wipe down my little dustball anyway, though, just in case.

divingbiker
05-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Well, it's not looking good. I've got lots of thunder and pouring rain right now. The radar shows it's raining all around the area, so it looks like tomorrow's MTB ride isn't going to happen. What do you think?

(One of my dogs is about to have a stroke...unfortunately he's the one with high blood pressure so a stroke is a real possibility. He's hiding under the desk at my feet right now. Poor guy. The other one is so deaf he doesn't even know it's thundering.)

7rider
05-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Don't give up on the ride just yet!!!
I don't know if this qualifies as "soaking".

I posted a query on the MORE (http://www.more-mtb.org/)website (Ride forum) about when is it NOT okay to ride, and got a few replies, including:
"Well, checking the forecast for Upper Marlboro (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Upper+Marlboro&state=MD&site=LWX), they are calling for a tenth to a quarter inch of rain tonite. As dry as things are, that won't even faze Rosaryville.
"Check the 2 day history (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KADW.html) tomorrow morning, and check the amount of rain that has fallen overnite. If its under 1/2", I think you'll be golden. Rosaryville holds up reasonably well to rain, and it has to be absolutely bone dry now."

Another said:
"There's no magic formula outside of a little common sense and a healthy amount of respect for the trail. The biggest thing is to be ready to turn back and stop riding (or never start) if you show up at the trail and find it is in bad shape.
"Too many people rationalize their bad behavior; some seem to think that their right to ride is proportional to the amount of time and effort they expended to get to the trail head. An hour on the Beltway does not undo trail damage from riding on wet dirt.
"Use your noggin and you'll be fine."

So....let's check first thing in the a.m. Tam, that means early early for you, but I honestly think we'll be okay.

p.s. Janice - glad this storm blew through pretty quickly. Hope the dogs are okay!!

divingbiker
05-12-2007, 05:52 PM
OK, OK, I'll set the alarm and get up early as planned. I would really like to do this ride, so I hope you're right. Good night!

Kalidurga
05-12-2007, 06:19 PM
My alarm's set, too, and I'll check in here when I get up.

As a hiker, I fully agree with keeping bikes off of wet trails. If we get to Rosaryville and it's too wet, maybe we could do the Patuxent ride you guys did last fall. It wouldn't be too far out of the way coming back along the Beltway.

Kalidurga
05-13-2007, 02:01 AM
As of an hour ago, the 2-day history (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KADW.html) looks like we're good to go... Funny that there are not precipitation readings for the periods of 20:55 & 21:55 when there were apparently thunderstorms, but it appears that area only got a tad over .5".

divingbiker
05-13-2007, 02:21 AM
So whaddya think? Are we on?

Kalidurga
05-13-2007, 02:32 AM
I say we go for it. Worst case scenario if it turns out to be too wet, we can go somewhere and have some breakfast ;)

divingbiker
05-13-2007, 02:37 AM
Sounds good to me. Regina must be sleeping. ;)

See you at 8:15.

7rider
05-13-2007, 02:53 AM
Sounds good to me. Regina must be sleeping. ;)

See you at 8:15.

Nope. I'm here. JUst haven't had my coffee yet! :cool:

I'm up for it!

7rider
05-13-2007, 02:55 AM
As of an hour ago, the 2-day history (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KADW.html) looks like we're good to go... Funny that there are not precipitation readings for the periods of 20:55 & 21:55 when there were apparently thunderstorms, but it appears that area only got a tad over .5".

Must be that gov't math!

HillSlugger
05-14-2007, 05:55 AM
WHen Janice was talking about downpours in Takoma Park we didn't have a single drop in Olney.

Sounds like you had a blast.

I don't think it's too soon to start a thread for a June ride. I'm good except the 9th and 10th (out of town for the Diabetes ride).

Kalidurga
05-14-2007, 06:45 AM
I still want to try out that route I created in the Riley's/Poolesville area (the one that avoids most of River Rd), so I'd be up for a road ride in June. So far, I don't have any Saturdays scheduled for work, so I'm pretty much wide open.

I'll start a new thread for June.