PDA

View Full Version : Long and less Long Runs - 4/30/07 to 5/06/07

Wahine
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
I'm just startin this week's thread. I haven't run in 9 days....

This is beginning to sound like an AA meeting. I guess it kinda is.

Hopefully, I'll get a decent run in tomorrow.

Happy running ladies.

kelownagirl
04-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Me neither Wahine. Tomorrow's running club at school so hopefully I'll get 3k in at lunch. I did ride yesterday and today though, and will ride again tomorrow.

tattiefritter
05-01-2007, 12:54 AM
5 miles yesterday. Decided against the scheduled 8 miler as had been away all weekend and I'm always sluggish after a break. It was really warm again and it felt difficult from the beginning as I was dehydrated (too much standing in the sun not drinking enough fluid over the weekend) but after a mile I thought I had found my stride as I was motoring along - until about a mile and a half later when I changed direction and realised I had a nice strong tailwind which had now turned into a headwind. :o At least it cooled me down a bit as its really warm here again and due to be all week.

Got 8 planned this lunchtime but have given in and dug out my shorts and sleeveless top, will be taking lots of fluid with me as well.

limewave
05-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Monday
Easy trainer ride 30 min
60 min strength

Tuesday
Trail run, 45 min
60 min strength

Wednesday
6.5 mile run

Thursday
25 mile group ride towing trailer
60 min strength

Friday
Rest

Saturday
10 mile run
30 min strength

Sunday
13 mile mountain bike

KSH
05-01-2007, 07:27 PM
Wahine... I hope you feel better soon! You have been sick too long.

Monday I swam... and today I ran.

33m
3.00 mile
11m /mile

Went to the gym and ran on the treadmill, due to rain. Except it wasn't raining when I got off work. Dang it.

Mile 1: 11:20
Mile 2: 10:30
Mile 3: 11:20

After the run I did my squats as directed by my coach (to start working on raising my average on the bike!). I also did some weights for my flabby arms! HA!

colby
05-01-2007, 07:43 PM
Monday was stretching and strength day, with super cool (scary) new yoga poses. I have been doing upper/core (it's starting to make a difference!) but I think maybe my biking muscles could use some work, too. When I ride, I notice the muscles that are used in riding that aren't used as much for running, like the "pulling" muscles in the inner thigh.

Tuesday I took the dog 3 miles, then rode to/from work, with a little extra when I looped my husband and later picked up lunch.

Wednesday is 9x400s, and I may or may not do cardio kickboxing depending on how my coworker is feeling (not like I totally need the exercise, it's just for fun). If she's not up to it, I'll probably do some strength, or maybe ride to work (yeah right, two days in a row? my husband will kill me).

Thursday, 3 miles + strength, I may or may not be able to ride to work instead of running.

Friday, rest/easy. Maybe ride to work (hard to convince my husband to exert major effort on Fridays). If not, I'll take the dog either for an easy 3-miler or a walk.

Saturday, rest.

Sunday, 12k race. Last year I finished in 1:25 (11:23 pace). My maybe reachable goal this year is 1:15 or better (10:00 pace) and ideally 1:12 or better to qualify for an earlier start next year (9:40 pace). We'll see, it's hilly, but relatively short.

kelownagirl
05-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I ran 3 slow painful kms today. 6:30 per km. (10.5 min/mile?)

First run in 10 days. Will try again on Thursday. Most of the kids passed me.... :rolleyes:

Wahine
05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I ran about 6 miles today, Z1 to Z2. Handled it OK. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Thanks for the concern KSH. I think I'm on the upward swing.

KSH
05-02-2007, 06:35 AM
Sunday, 12k race. Last year I finished in 1:25 (11:23 pace). My maybe reachable goal this year is 1:15 or better (10:00 pace) and ideally 1:12 or better to qualify for an earlier start next year (9:40 pace). We'll see, it's hilly, but relatively short.

GOOD LUCK Colby! I am sure you will achieve your goal!

I ran 3 slow painful kms today. 6:30 per km. (10.5 min/mile?)

Slow and painful? Shoot, I'd be lucky to run that fast!

I ran about 6 miles today, Z1 to Z2. Handled it OK. We'll see how I feel tomorrow

Looks like an upswing to me!

Grog
05-02-2007, 01:40 PM
This is my last week on this thread!

I'm running (my first official) half-marathon this coming Sunday, May 6th (part of the Vancouver Marathon & Half-Marathon event) and that will be the end of my 100 km/month + running. I'll just keep the weekday runs after that.

So I ran a relaxed 5k yesterday morning (TUesday). It didn't feel that good and I was trying out new shoes (they're okay), but still fine. I might go for another 5k tomorrow Thursday and then a bit of a longer one Friday (7k maybe?) with a few bursts. I'll skip my club bike ride on Saturday (you never know when the mob is going to decide to hit the hills, and I don't want to risk my legs there!!) so I can be as fresh as one can be at the 7am start of the race on Sunday morning.

Will report.

colby
05-02-2007, 02:19 PM
This is my last week on this thread!

I'm running (my first official) half-marathon this coming Sunday, May 6th (part of the Vancouver Marathon & Half-Marathon event) and that will be the end of my 100 km/month + running. I'll just keep the weekday runs after that.

Nah, you can come back and see us here anytime!! ;)

Good luck this weekend!!! You'll do great. :) If I didn't have something planned this weekend already, I'd have loved to do the Vancouver HM. I love Vancouver. :D

alpinerabbit
05-03-2007, 10:24 AM
6K tonight, I missed out on my group run last night. I will in fact miss out all of May - yikes...

KSH
05-03-2007, 06:13 PM
1h 10m 35s
6.25 miles
11m 17s /mile

It was sunny when I left work. Then when I was driving home, I drove through pouring rain.

So, I went to the gym and got on the treadmill.

Settled into a long distance slow pace (my usual pace! HA!)... and kept going.

A good song came on close to 6 miles so I went 6.25 miles.

Legs hurt pretty bad and so does my right knee.

kelownagirl
05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
3km with the kids at lunch today. 19 minutes again. Oh well.

Wahine
05-03-2007, 07:28 PM
I was supposed to run today but I bailed.:( :(

My priority workout was a hilly bike ride with some intervals pushing into zone 4 or 5. I did that at lunch. By the time I got off work I had no motivation to run. I went over to the house to see how the construction was coming along, came home made dinner....

Oh well. I'm going to chalk it up to not being totally recovered from whatever hit me last week. I'll kick some butt this weekend.

tattiefritter
05-04-2007, 01:19 AM
Did 8 miles on Tuesday, still a bit warm but managed to cope ok. Had obviously managed to move my foot pod into a different position on my shoe, didn't notice at first but started to question the reading when it was telling me I was running 9:30 mm but I was busting a gut (felt like interval effort), looked at my shoe and it had worked round so put it back and it started reading normal pace again however by this time I had done two miles far too hard. Got round the rest of the 6 miles in a more sensible pace but did pay for the hard set off.

On wednesday did a hard evening MTB ride of about 20 miles, its normally a ride we do at the weekend when we want a resonable length ride without taking all day. Its about a three hour ride :eek: including faff and food stops, we started at 1850 and didn't get back to the car until gone 10. By the time I got home it was after 11 and I didn't get to bed until gone midnight and found it hard to wind down. It was a fantastic ride but I'm still paying for it now.

Woke up yesterday feeling really tired, was scheduled to do 6x3min intervals with 3 min recoveries. I decided to have a go even though when I set off running I obviously had someone else's legs (must have left mine on a hill in Yorkshire on Wed night), felt like Bambi on ice, no coordination at all. After a mile and a half I had regained some semblance of control and started the intervals, the first was really hard but managed the other 5 ok with an average pace of 7:30 mm which I was really pleased about, however I needed the full three minutes recovery as I was quite obviously not recovered from the night before. 6 miles in total.

I am really tired today and decided not to cycle in to work (riding tomorrow instead) which was sensible of me :) , of course today is the day there decides to be a major "incident" (a jumper I think) which closed the motorway I need to take to work - ho hum would have been quicker to cycle in this morning.

I am ready for easy week methinks. :D

btchance
05-06-2007, 01:07 PM
So I got 3 runs in this week. One 3.3mi run on Tuesday morning, then another 3mi on Thursday evening. Then today I did a 6miler. All were pretty slow, I was just wanting to get some miles into my legs without killing them. I also swam quite a bit this week, 3 times, once dragging a friend who's an awesome swimmer with me to get some pointers. Now I've got drills to work on, and I can already tell the difference. I also did one night of ballet. No bike this week, but that will be corrected tomorrow.

Grog
05-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah! Done with the half-marathon! I even smoked my goals (less than two hours) by over 7 minutes.

The Vancouver Half (and the Full, too) is run on a spectacular, scenic course. Too bad it was lightly raining for about half of the time. It was nice though, perfect weather for running as far as I'm concerned (if it would have been sunny I would have thought 'I wanna be on my bike').

I think I could have ran faster but that long, almost 3 km downhill hurt my quads, and I didn't want to handicap my Cycling Renewal Week!

I've had lots of rest and some cafeine (and lots of food too), now is time to get to work!

I'll be running only the "less-long" type of runs from now on until the fall! But I'm looking for a half-marathon in the PNW in late-November or early-December (or even January). Any ideas?

limewave
05-06-2007, 05:23 PM
Yesterday I did a 10-miler. I felt pretty good until mile 8 when my back started to ache badly. For those who don't know, I've been in PT for my back for the last few weeks, I injured it in a bad mountain biking accident. PT said it is okay to run so long as the back pain doesn't increase. And it's been alright, really.

The thing is, I am just not motivated like I was last summer. I've been struggling with a minor relapse with my depression. Basically I don't have the motivation to do anything right now. I'm on the road to recovering again, but I think that I have too many expectations on myself right now. So, after talking to DH, I have decided it might be best to not worry about the marathon this year.

I am so relieved already. Now I can ride my bike when I want to and not worry about having to recover for a long run. I will run another marathon eventually, and I still have goals to keep me very active this summer--but it's nice to have one thing off of my plate.

Grog
05-06-2007, 06:14 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{ Limewave }}}}}}}}}}}

Sometimes it's good to make a decision, isn't it?

Wahine
05-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Congratulations Grog!! Sorry I couldn't make it there for the race. I wanted to come up but life's just too crazy right now. 1:53!!! Awesome.

((((((((Limewave)))))))))) It's hard to let these things go but it sounds like the right thing to do. Take care.

I ran a measely 9.5 miles this week. One 6 miler and a 3.5 off the bike yesterday. Hmmmmm. Not exactly Ironman mileage but that's OK. I've decided that this year is the year of the bike. I'm going to smoke the IM Can course. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the marathon in reasonable time with dead legs from the ride.:o

colby
05-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I'll be running only the "less-long" type of runs from now on until the fall! But I'm looking for a half-marathon in the PNW in late-November or early-December (or even January). Any ideas?

Congrats, Grog! :D

The Seattle Marathon (and Half) is the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure of any others. It's a little late (and was a little chilly last year) for PNW running ;)

colby
05-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Colby's 12k, or: ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR so close!

Well, me and 39,381 of my closest friends were joined on a great morning for running (a little sunny, I would have preferred overcast). I missed my friends, and my dad and husband decided not to go, so I was on my own. Lonely, usually my husband joins me at least to watch. I didn't meet up with my friends afterward either, they walked right past me (it's easy not to find each other with that many people).

It felt different than last year. Maybe it's because running a marathon puts everything in a different perspective, but it didn't hurt as much as I'd expected. I was able to control my heart rate a lot more than last year, but relatively, that felt pretty similar. I was certainly moving faster than last year. ;)

My finishing time was 1:13:44. I beat my 1:15:00 or better goal, but was 1:44 off my 1:12 stretch goal. So close!! I'm not sure what I'd have done different. My first couple of miles were under 9 minutes (flat/downhill), then a somewhat uphill mile or two, then a seriously uphill mile, then a couple of flat miles. I picked it up at mile 6 when I realised I took the hilly mile at an 11 minute pace, and I did make up that time, but I didn't make up the extra 1:44. Bummer!

Last year:
Finish Time: 1:25:40
Ran with a pace of 11:29 per mile

This year:
Finish Time: 1:13:44
Ran with a pace of 9:53 per mile

Last year my half marathon pace was 20 seconds faster than my 12k pace, because the courses are so different. I'm looking forward to seeing how that turns out this year. This year's HM is on May 27th, my birthday. :)

Grog
05-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Congrats, Grog! :D

The Seattle Marathon (and Half) is the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure of any others. It's a little late (and was a little chilly last year) for PNW running ;)

What do you mean? I do 80% of my PNW running in wet, cold weather!!!! :eek:

Good job on your 12K race. Too bad you didn't quite meet your goal, but I'm sure you'll tackle those hills in the next few months and get even faster soon!!

colby
05-06-2007, 09:28 PM
What do you mean? I do 80% of my PNW running in wet, cold weather!!!! :eek:

Well, yeah, I'll give you that. ;) Last November was a little abnormally chilly for Seattle. I find that in places with more visible seasons (especially summer), I really miss overcast and misty days. Those chilly, overcast mornings are perfect for running. I honestly don't think I could do a fall/winter race in a warmer climate anyway, by then we've already started acclimating to the chilly temps.

A little closer to you, the Bellingham Bay Marathon is in October. From the calendars I've seen, there's not much after the Seattle Marathon in November (the 25th).