PDA

View Full Version : Good places to ride in Laguna Beach?

yogabear
07-28-2004, 06:15 AM
Hi Californians!

I have never been to your beautiful state, but if all goes well, I will be visiting with my hubby to Laguna Beach next October 2005.

I won't be riding my bike there as I am going to take a class there, but my hubby wants to ride there. He's a roadie and a mtn. biker, so I am sure he'll want to do both. He's rode before in Utah, so I know he's comfortable on real mtns.

Are there any good intermediate type of trails to mtn. bike on (I don't want him to kill himself on vacation LOL)? Also, where are the good routes to road bike on? (lots of climbing, good shoulder, and polite drivers a plus). Are there any road races in October?

Any recommendations would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely,

Lisa

Shimpie
08-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Sigh... I might work in Orange County, but I rarely get a chance to ride there. My first suggestion is to ride Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). There is usually a bike a lane, and in October there won't be too many tourists and beach goers walking out from between parked cars. Parts of the PCH provide gorgeous views of the ocean.

Otherwise, I don't know of too many rides near Laguna Beach. I'd recommend contacting the folks of Orange County Wheelman http://www.ocw.org/ They might even let you join in on a group ride. The website says non-members are welcome on all rides.

-Weena

yogabear
08-11-2004, 05:08 AM
Hi Weena!

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond to me! I am sure my hubby will appreciate it as well as he has to spend a whole week there with me while I am at a class LOL.

I will check it out!

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Lisa :)

scvelo
01-13-2005, 10:47 AM
I live close to Laguna and ride there often. It is beautiful along the coast and in Oct., you won't have the usual tourist traffic. There is no bike lane in down town Laguna but if you ride north up the coast to Newport Beach, there is plenty of room. You can make a right at Newport Coast and go up a nice long rolling climb that will take you into Irvine or you can go along the coast all way to Seal Beach. If you go south along coast highway you will end up at San Clemente state beach, if you keep going you can go all the way to Oceanside through Camp Pendleton Marine base. It's an awesome ride, you can turn around at any time depending on how many miles you want to put in.

Hope this helps, if you need more information e-mail me.

Cathi

yogabear
01-15-2005, 09:20 AM
Thanks so much for writing. It's funny because I just registered for my class out there...not sure though if I will have time to ride or if my hubby is coming but hey, it will help for sure once I plan a second trip out there :) You are so kind to offer yourself as a resource person, so many thanks to you.

Bear hugs,
Lisa