PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning Ride

sulis
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM
Anyone up for a Saturday morning ride? I want to ride about 50 miles. I'm not super fast bit I'm slowly improving.

sbctwin
04-26-2007, 01:07 PM
What time? It should be a very nice day, maybe even a warmer morning for an early start. You know my speed :D

yellow
04-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Planning on any climbing? I need to do some of that. :D I have another invite for a ride over PC way but it would require me to get up reallllly early (to be in harmony with everyone else's schedules), but I'd really like to sleep in until at least 6. What are you thinking for a route?

Alex
04-26-2007, 10:23 PM
What speed? I was planning on 50 miles or so (relatively flat) on Saturday and 25 miles or so of hills on Sunday. I may be too slow for all of you, though...

Alex

sulis
04-27-2007, 05:21 AM
I wanted to be on the road by 9am, 9:30 at the very latest. I have not planned out the route completely yet. But I'm hoping to do a combo on the East and West benches - so a few hills and flat too.

Alex- I am not very fast at all. My back has also been sore this week so I'll be taking it easy (I've made a few adjustments to the bike so hopefully I'll be all good). I don't care about speed- I just love riding with others.

sbctwin - would love to ride with you again

Yellow - 6am does sound awfully early for a ride. Of course, I am at work by 6am so maybe its not so early for me after all. But for a Saturday it sure sounds like it. te he he.

Give me about 20 minutes to think of a route and I'll post it here. I'm thinking we'll meet at my house in Sandy and go from there. I am right in the middle of the east and west side so its a good variety for riding.

Lifesgreat
04-27-2007, 06:27 AM
I am going on the "Ladies slow ride" listed tomorrow. I REALLY wish the organizer called it something else, but it isn't a hill worth dying for. It is F L A T course and the group rides every Saturday. The average speed is right around 15 mph. The other ride does have some hills.

I quote from the email I receive:

Hi Cyclists,
Last week we had three good rides with a lot of participation. Saturday we had 22 men and 8 women on the West Mountain rides. Thanks to all for your participation and cooperation with the format... you are great to ride with.

Next week we will try some of the suggestions that I've heard lately. The weekday rides will remain the same. On Saturday we will have three groups at the Springville-West Mountain routes. The "Ladies Slow Ride" will be for those who want to average under 15 MPH and they will take the 32 mile route that stays on the East side of the mountain. The faster group will split into two sets. Cyclists who can average over 20 MPH will stay together as a group and Cyclists who want to average between 15 and 20 will be a separate set. If you are not sure which group you want to be in, we will use the first 10-mile segment to determine your group. All three groups will regroup together at the 10-mile point. By then each rider should know which group fits their ability and desired ride for the day. Keep in mind that the first 10-mile segment is all slightly downhill so your average at that point will most likely be higher than you will be able to maintain the rest of the ride.

Saturday, April 28, 2007: Ladies Slow Ride (Average speed less than 15 MPH) 32 miles, Springville - East Side of West Mountain: Meet at the Sinclair Gas Station on the West side of I-15 Exit 260 This will be a 32 mile loop. Be ready to ride at 9:00 a.m. SHARP! The Club Ride Format will apply. See Route Map Notice that you can print a "Cue Sheet" at the Bikely web site by clicking on "Show" on the left side of the page near the top, that gives you the option of Whole Route, Elevation Profile, and Cue Sheet. Also you can zoom in and out to see very detailed parts of the route. It gives the options of street map, satellite, or Hybrid to view the route. This site is a ride leaders dream. There are no excuses to get lost anymore.... Please study the map and print the cue sheet if you are not familiar with this route.

Saturday, April 28, 2007: (47 miles, Springville - West Mountain:) (This ride will split into two groups. Those who average 20+ MPH and group 2 will those who average 15-19 MPH) Meet at the Sinclair Gas Station on the West side of I-15 Exit 260 This will be a 47 mile loop. Be ready to ride at 9:00 a.m. SHARP! The Club Ride Format will apply to both groups. See Route Map Notice that you can print a "Cue Sheet" at the Bikely web site by clicking on "Show" on the left side of the page near the top, that gives you the option of Whole Route, Elevation Profile, and Cue Sheet. Also you can zoom in and out to see very detailed parts of the route. It gives the options of street map, satellite, or Hybrid to view the route. This site is a ride leaders dream. There are no excuses to get lost anymore.... Please study the map and print the cue sheet if you are not familiar with this route. It is the same as we have been doing last Fall and this Spring.

Club ride format: The route will be divided into segments (by distance and/or by landmarks) designated by the ride leader at the start of the ride. All riders start together and each person goes at a pace of their choice. At the end of the segment all riders turn around and ride back to the last rider (who will give them the Turn Around Signal) and then stay with the last rider until the beginning of the next segment. This puts the group back together before the start of the each segment. All riders will be given a break for food and drink before starting the next segment. The same process is repeated for each segment. It is very important that when the fastest riders go back to meet the last rider that they ALL ride together to the beginning of the next segment. As the group grows larger with riders coming back it will give a draft for slower riders and all can practice paceline riding. Some riders who reach the end of a segment may wish to rest rather than ride backwards to meet the others but everyone must be together at the beginning of the next segment. Riders who DO NOT intend to finish all segments MUST inform the group when and where they will drop out. The last rider MUST know that he/she is last and MUST give the turn-a-round signal to the faster riders coming back to meet them. All riders should know the number of participants in the group. If bike trouble or flats occur in one of the segments the group will know and will be able to assist. All participants must be accounted for before proceeding to the next segment.
Objectives of this Club ride format: > Accommodate the wide spectrum of riders in the club. > Let beginners and slower riders know they are welcome and will not "be holding anyone back" nor will they be left alone for the whole ride. > Faster riders will go for a longer distance with harder riding and no waiting for others. > Give everyone group riding experience. > Be able to account for all riders. > Group can assist with mechanical or tire trouble and riders will not be left alone with a problem. > Ride leader can be better able to account for participants.

sulis
04-27-2007, 07:14 AM
Ok, I'm horrible at making decisions. I've been trying to think what to do - I'm such a pleaser. And then I finally decided, I really need to let my body and back decide how long, fast and "climby" I go tomorrow. So here is my plan and anyone that wants to join me is very welcome - if not, no worries and hopefully we can ride together soon.

How I ride, I go out with a general plan and let my bike and mood lead me where I may go. So sorry, if you want a street by street route - thats not me, at least not yet. But here is the general idea.

I plan to to leave my house by 9:00 at the latest - so if you come maybe arrive at 8:30. I'll ride north to 8000 South and climb west to 7th east. I'll take 7th down to Draper and hit the frontage road to drop down to bluffdale...then head west and eventually turn north to come back to my house (SBCtwin, part of it will be the same route we road last time, but further west). There are a few very moderate climbs but it will be mostly flat. If my back freaks out, I may cut the ride short. If I feel energetic, I may change the route to head east and climb more, I don't know. But its an easy enough area to navigate you can go whatever distance you want. Of course, if others do ride with me, I of course will take what they want to do into consideration. I'm fairly easy going. So I guess basically, we'll see who comes in the morning and decide from there.

I will only have internet access while I am at work. So after 1pm I won't be able to respond to any messages or PMs.

Yellow -since you are a cycling goddess as far as I am concerned, I am going to assume you are going to head to PC with your friends. I would probably be far too slow for you anyway. I do want to meet up and ride with you one day though. I'm sure I could learn so much from you. Of course, if I am wrong and you want to ride tomorrow, then let me know and I'll e-mail you details to my house.

Alex - not sure if you are still interested but I'll PM you my address and phone #. If you want to come great, if not, no worries.

SBCtwin - I'm assuming you remember where I live or at least have my phone #. So feel free to call me with questions, etc.

Lifesgreat - have a wonderful time on your Fabulous Womens Ride. We need to find a time to meet up and ride/catch up.

Have a great weekend everyone - wherever the road takes you! :D

sulis
04-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Look I've already changed my mind. I really want to be riding by 9am.
So lets meet at 8:30 am instead, for those interested. I will change my original message, too.

sbctwin
04-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Hi Sulis... With what you have layed out, I plan on joining you. I average 14-16mph. If there is a tailwind, I can crank it up quite a bit :D . But, I am very slow on hills :( . I do them and sometimes avoid them, but I am slow :rolleyes: . It is suppose to be a warm day, so the early start is great for me...I tend to melt in the heat of the day. Looking forward to the ride!!!

AuntieK
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I am going on the "Ladies slow ride" listed tomorrow.
Uh, Lifesgreat, are you forgetting something? Thought you were coming with me to the island. :confused:

Lifesgreat
04-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Oops, I didn't email you, but I did leave a message with Rick saying I couldn't ride in the afternoon, I have to ride in the morning. So I can't go with you guys :(

Have fun and be safe!

yellow
04-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Well, it's way after 1, and I'm still fuzzy on plans (battling with the demons in my head, ones that want to ride but don't want to get up early and ones that don't want to drive anywhere to ride, and ones that really would just rather **gasp** run to the top of Black Mountain even though I ran 9 miles on the trail this evening).

I also need to be responsible (!) and have some preventative maintenance done on the car, early before the line at Jiffy Lube extends to the Great Salt Lake, and I'd also really like to get my tomatoes before they sell out of the good varieties. So I think I'll ride in the afternoon. I'm riding long Sunday also, so I think I'll get plenty of riding in.

Have a great time! Weather should be lovely. :D

AK, I thought you were going to Cactus Hugger! We all need to go to that one next year!

Alex
04-27-2007, 09:42 PM
It sounds like fun, but I figured out that I need to be on the road by 7:30 so that I can get home in time to do everything else I have to do on Saturday. Have fun! :)

Alex

AuntieK
04-30-2007, 07:38 PM
AK, I thought you were going to Cactus Hugger! We all need to go to that one next year!

I really wanted to, but after spending the previous weekend racing in Idaho, I decided it was best to stay home. Maybe I'll make it back down there (CH) next year.

I rode around Antelope Island instead. Got the bug bites all over me to prove it.:p

How did everyone else's weekend rides go?