PDA

View Full Version : Cortisone injections!!

Jenn
04-25-2007, 11:14 AM
:( I'm sure I mispelled it however, after seeing my podiatrist AGAIN today, now he wants to do the Cortisone injection in my left heel. He said the fascia is so swollen and irriated the stretching and icing after 6 weeks hasn't worked.
They hurt don't they?:( But you know what, I gave birth I can handle that......right:confused:
Anyway, he's going to fight my insurance for me for orthotics because my arch is so high he said i HAVE to have them, or this isn't going to go away...
AHHHH the joys of getting older...:mad: I never thought at 34 I'd be having all these problems!:(

mimitabby
04-25-2007, 11:15 AM
yes, it hurts, but the long term effects are worth it; i hear. Dh has had these more than once in various body parts.

Bikingmomof3
04-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Jenn,
I always use the same rationalization (I gave birth, it cannot be worse). I have never had to have that treatment, but i5t sounds as though you have indeed tried everything else. If this will help take away the pain and allow you to heal in the long run, go for it.

surgtech1956
04-25-2007, 02:00 PM
I had one in my knee - not that bad. People were telling me how bad they were. It felt like a bee sting. I did some relief. The the pros outweight the cons.

LBTC
04-25-2007, 06:43 PM
I had a coritsone shot in my shoulder years ago. The needle was horribly scary looking :eek: but it really didn't hurt, and the resulting mobility was nearly instant.

Good luck! I hope this does the trick for you!
Hugs & butterflies,
~T~

ace
04-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Hey Jenn,

I'm sorry to hear about your foot pain. I had major plantar fascitis when I was about 27 (I'm 45 now). I got a cortisone shot (actually I think I had a couple), and although they weren't fun, they totally fixed me up. I have had only one little episode of foot pain since, and that was caused by my knee injury (I was walking funny for months).

You really shouldn't be stretching, though. PF is caused be over-stretching of the fascia on the bottom of your foot. Although maybe you have something different, because you have high arches (I have sort of flat feet).

Let us know how it goes, k?

-Amy

ehirsch83
04-26-2007, 05:49 AM
jenn!! don't worry

I had two injections about 2 months ago(one for my shoulder, one for my knee) It really just feels like pressure, the knee hurt- the shoulder didn't.

i found that as long I didn't look I was ok.
And remember it is only 5 seconds of pain- you can handle it!

Pax
04-26-2007, 06:18 AM
It seems creepy to have a big old needle stuck where it doesn't belong but the results can be heavenly! I've had the right knee/left hip/left shoulder (x3) done and it helped loads!

Deb in Bend,OR
04-27-2007, 07:32 AM
Jenn,
I hope the cortisone shots work for you--I have heard great things about them. I haven't had my plantar fascia problem very long so I am just icing it for now. I did go and buy myself some Chaco sandals to wear around the house. I put them on as soon as I get out of bed and wear them in the house-- I was told to not go around without shoes, and these have great arch support! I only wish I invented the flip-flop!!$$ May you be smiling from head to heel real soon!! Deb in Bend,OR:D

Jenn
04-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Well, I ice my foot every chance I get and I got the Crocs and they have actually helped ALOT!! The pain has been backing off but I took a few days off spinning and biking and walking.....UGH, I felt like a HUGE SLUG, but I spun today for an hour and took the little one out for an hour walk so, so far so good!:o

ace
04-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Just fyi, Jenn, Iyengar yoga ultimately is what kept my pf at bay for 20 years. It got me to stand/walk more evenly on my feet. I wouldn't do it until you feel better, though.

Are you doing the ice-in-a-bottle thing? You freeze a small bottle of water, and then you can roll the bottom of your foot over it. Sort of like icing and massage at the same time.

It saddens me how knowledgeable I am about dealing with injuries, 'cause it basically reflects the fact that there aren't too many of them I haven't dealt with personally.

Feel better,
Amy

Jenn
04-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Just fyi, Jenn, Iyengar yoga ultimately is what kept my pf at bay for 20 years. It got me to stand/walk more evenly on my feet. I wouldn't do it until you feel better, though.

Are you doing the ice-in-a-bottle thing? You freeze a small bottle of water, and then you can roll the bottom of your foot over it. Sort of like icing and massage at the same time.

It saddens me how knowledgeable I am about dealing with injuries, 'cause it basically reflects the fact that there aren't too many of them I haven't dealt with personally.

Feel better,
Amy

ACE, Your avatar makes me smile EVERY TIME I see your post!!!hahaha....
Thank you everyone for all the AWESOME words of encouragement and information. It's been kind of nice I'm not walking around like Igor anymore this week.....as of yet.

Ace, YES, that is EXACTLY what I do every night, I sit for like 20 minutes and roll my foot over a frozen water bottle. The pain is diminishing, and I also ironically just bought a yoga dvd off half.com today!!

I'm planning on a long ride tomorrow and I'm hittin' some big hills:o with Dh and some of his buddies,so we'll see how things go. I have also moved my cleats back a tad on my shoes to see if that helps....we'll see!!
Thank you all again

{{{HUGS}}}}
Jenn

IFjane
04-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Jenn,

I hope the ice/yoga/injections/orthotics help you & you have no more problems. I had PF in both heels (thankfully, one at a time!) & had injections, PT, the whole nine yards (my insurance would not pay for my orthotics). Nothing helped and eventually I had to have surgery on both feet.

The problem was that a bone spur formed under the inflammation, which would then irritate the tendon and the inflammation would not go away. So, the surgeon cut a tiny hole in my tendon to allow the spur to go through. The spur was not removed - it is still there in both heels, but I have had absolutely no more problem with either one. If worse comes to worse, there are other solutions - good luck! -jane

Jenn
05-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Jenn,

I hope the ice/yoga/injections/orthotics help you & you have no more problems. I had PF in both heels (thankfully, one at a time!) & had injections, PT, the whole nine yards (my insurance would not pay for my orthotics). Nothing helped and eventually I had to have surgery on both feet.

The problem was that a bone spur formed under the inflammation, which would then irritate the tendon and the inflammation would not go away. So, the surgeon cut a tiny hole in my tendon to allow the spur to go through. The spur was not removed - it is still there in both heels, but I have had absolutely no more problem with either one. If worse comes to worse, there are other solutions - good luck! -jane

OMG, I had nightmares about that last nigt, but you know what at this point I jsut want the pain to go away. Bless your heart you've been through it ALL.
Well, went to see Dr today, wants me to start the injections next week and says he thinks that cycling is causing the problem!:eek: Well, I'm sorry but I will NOT give it up, I'll deal with the pain, I get WAY to much out of riding. I left there in tears feeling like I was just told I can't see my best friend anymore.:(

Bklynmom
05-02-2007, 06:34 PM
I have had Plantar Fastitus (SP?) for about 6 months. What helped the most were othotics and streaching. My podatris also threatned me with a cortizone shot:( which I have so far avoided. I honestly think that a week's vacation we took, where I only walked on the beach made the inflamation finally go away. Lots of biking has not made it return either.

If it's a choice between the bike and the shot, I guess it has to be the shot. You'll be fine as long as you don't look at the needle. I'm sure it's a walk in the park compared to childbirth. Good luck:) .

suzieqtwa
05-02-2007, 07:36 PM
Hey Jen,
I have plantar fasiitis in both feet . It happened during Marathon training last year. Ive had 3 shots in my heel. The first one worked ,and I went on to run the Marathon. On the other foot the shots didnt work (is why Im riding a bike now.). I almost passed out the first time :eek: ,but thats because I got so worked up before...it felt like a bee sting ,but then it was over. They have to get the cortisone to the infected area. The other 2 shots were better because I wanted to be able to run so bad ,I didnt care about the shot (but they didnt work). Just dont look ,and take a deep breath. It will be over in 5 seconds. Good Luck

Jenn
05-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys, I HATE shots as it is, but I'm just ready for this pain to go away. I told DH this morning, I forgot what it's like to get out of bed and be able to just walk normal and not hurt.