PDA

View Full Version : The Cohutta 35 miler...a perfect "first race"!

bouncybouncy
04-23-2007, 09:40 AM
The day started just like any other cold, dark morning in a campground that you pulled into so late you have no idea what is around you except running water of sorts (which you hope is a stream) and a fellow in the next campsite bundled up on a picnic table. Before we knew we had downed pb&j sandwiches, drank our breakfast drinks, over-contemplated our outfits and gear...off to the start line we were.
The mood was amazingly calm, no loud chatter of racers anxious for the start bell to ring. Just a large group of happy riders ready to embark on a fast 35 mile ride in the Eastern Tennessee Mountains. The weather could not a cooperated more...it turned out to be a beautiful day in the mountains!!!
The first few miles on Hwy 64 were the hardest of the entire race...I could feel my heart racing as I tried to stay with the main group (if knobbies were meant to be ridden on pavement roadbikes would have them, right?!) Halfway through the pavement part of the journey my glasses flew off, no way am I doing this whole ride without my glasses!!! As I stopped to recover them several people passed...aarrrggg!!!! OK, back on the bike and onto the dirt...wooohooo! Fast and flowy, feeling good, trying to pace myself! I managed to pass several of the riders who were able to take advantage of my sun glass fiasco...
Feeling settled in now, keeping the followers just off my wheel far enough not to feel any pressure yet not pushing so hard my heart is trying to escape through my ears! Hit the first "technical" section flying! ***unbeknownst to me the entire ride was pretty tame! Someone mentioned that this was going to be a hard ride so I spent way too much energy worrying about the technical aspect of this venture, if I had known the level of difficulty I might have ridden a little differently...more reason to pre-ride courses! The ride continued...fun singletrack followed by more fun singletrack!!! A few fireroads thrown in here and there to make you appreciate the skinny little dirt path layed out in front of you!
Mile 18 was greeted with a wonderful crew of volunteers throwing chips, cups of energy inducing liquids, words of encouragement and great smiles! Thank you all!!!
Knowing half the battle was over I decided to kick it up a notch and try to finish somewhere within a respectable time...the aid station led to a small climb with a fast loooong fireroad that spit you into an overgrown lush looong fireroad up up up to more wonderful fun fast flowy singletrack!!! Pedal push pedal push...I can do this...and before I knew it the end was upon me!!!! WHAT...I am done??? But I still have more in me!!!! I want more.......
My first real race...what I learned:
I (speaking personally for myself...no one else) can never push hard enough! Pacing oneself through a race is an artform that takes many many many rides to master! (an artform I have many rides to do before mastering an ounce of knowledge of how to pace myself)
Breathe
Look at current mileage during the ride in order to accomplish the ability of mastering "pace"
Never, never listen to Chris' friend opinion of trail difficulty!!! (you know who you are!!!)
Breathe
Put foot warmers in your shoes BEFORE you line up at the start line!
Make sure glasses are securely placed before starting the race...hehe
Breathe
Always spend the entire race trying to catch the next person in front of you...even if you have no idea how far in front of you they are!
If no one at the start has a huge pack of goodies to get through the next 35 miles you most likely don't need one either!!!
I can't wait to do another one!!!!
Finish time: 3:52
Chris (husband) 3:26

Trekhawk
04-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Wow Bouncy - well done.

Sounds like you had a blast. Cant wait to hear about your next race.:)