PDA

View Full Version : New wheels!

Fredwina
04-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Well, I’m getting frustrated.
I pulled a spoke out of my Mavic Kyrsuim Elites yesterday. This is the second time I’ve this.
So I’m looking at getting two(!) new wheels.
My first thought was to get a Velocity Deep-V with offset drilling (32h) built by a LBS. Any other ideas?
I’m also thinking of the Neuvation M-28’s, but I’m bit put off by the qc issues. I like that fact that he stands behind the product, but I wish he didn’t have to stand behind his product so often.
Any ideas? I’m open to any suggestions.

jobob
04-23-2007, 09:47 AM
There was a good thread a few months ago about custom built wheels. A search should bring it up.

SadieKate
04-23-2007, 09:56 AM
Fredwina, with your burgeoning brevet career, hand builts are an excellent way to go. More easily repairable on the road or in a day by your LBS.

Do the search for the custom wheels. You can get absolutely wonderful wheels for the same or less than pre-builts and the same or less weight. What's not to like?

Eden
04-23-2007, 10:07 AM
I have Velocity Deep V's on my rain bike - pretty well bomb proof as far as not going out of true if you run over pot holes and the like - but I did blow out a rim.... we had a really ugly winter for around here and they sanded the roads - that stuff just ground my rims right down and from what I understand Deep V's are a bit prone to side wall wear - since they are deeper that portion of the rim is weaker and can collapse easier.
I had already purchased a second pair before my first one blew out so I've been sticking with them - the original was used (came on my used TT bike) so I don't know how old it was in the first place and the winter here was nasty as far as road grit goes. Now I have one of the originals, two that are machine built Wheelsmith wheels and one that was hand built by my LBS. I'm afraid the hand built one probably did cost almost as much as the pair that I got from E-bay (and I didn't even have to buy a new hub...), but hey I did get a really good deal on those two - and I got two nice ultegra hubs on them.

SadieKate
04-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Fredwina, why are you interested in the Deep V's? Eden races. She uses hers for a very different application. If you do some searching for custom wheels on the forums, you'll see that a lot of people long distance folks are using Velocity Aerohead OCs for strength and comfort combo. You might be sacrificing some comfort with that higher profile rim of the Deep V. My impression is that your goal is to ride 600k in one semi-consistent ride. Eden wants to ride as face as possible over much shorter courses.

Have you spoken directly to any wheelbuilders? If you need a recommendation, we have one in Fairfax that will ship anywhere. He just bought part ownership in Paradigm Cycles but also builds wheels under his own company, BFWG, which means exactly what you think it might. He made his name building for roadbears and he will talk your head off providing info about the choices. You will be a very well-informed consumer.:) The Deep Vs might be great for your application but be sure that rim profile will be optimum for your use.

indysteel
04-23-2007, 10:27 AM
I totally concur. I ended up going with a build similar to some that SadieKate has and couldn't be happier. I, personally, preferred using the services of a an actual wheelbuilder, rather than a LBS. Perhaps it wouldn't have mattered in the end, but I like the level of experience that a wheelbuilder offered. I know the local LBSs build wheels, but not at the same volume by any stretch. I used Ligero Wheelworks and was quite pleased. I'm not sure how backed up Troy, the owner, is at the moment but it couldn't hurt to check. His website is www.ligerowheels.com. He's got lots of pictures posted too if you want to see some bike candy.

IMO, a wheelbuilder should ask you a few basic questions and then go from there in deciding the build: How much do you weigh; what kind of riding you do/what do you want the wheels for; what qualities do you want in them and how much do you want to spend? For me, I wanted a good all-around wheel made with someone small in mind. I have trouble in crosswinds and wanted something light with a low profile, but I didn't want to break the bank.

I ended up with Velocity Aerohead/Aerohead OC rims, 24 1x front, 28 2x rear nondriveside, 3x driveside. Sapim Laser double butted spokes with alloy nipples. White Industries H1 hubs. They're pretty similar to some wheels that SadieKate has. I paid less than $500 for them. They're light and ride much plusher than my old Mavic Aksiums (which just beat me up). They handle better in crosswinds and spin up very nicely. I love, love, love them and consider it money well spent.

Eden
04-23-2007, 10:42 AM
I don't generally race the deep-v's - they are little on the heavy side for the type of racing that I do.(that and my rain bike is a 650 wheel bike and my race bike is a 700 so not interchangable..) Aerohead's are really nice too - lighter than the Deep-V's, my husband has a pair of them that were hand built for his track bike. (they also come in really nifty colors - as do the deep V's as long as you are riding 700's....) My LBS likes to build up Deep V's for his single speed customers (lots of messengers) since they stand up to a lot of pothole/curb type abuse.

SadieKate
04-23-2007, 10:46 AM
You bring up a good point, Eden. Aero profile can add weight. My 200+ lb hubby has two sets wheels Aerohead rims (with OC on the rear) and loves them. They're standing up just fine to his largeness.

Fredwina
04-24-2007, 07:57 PM
Ok' I'm back.
SK, I'm also on the "grande" side. Actually I misspoke about the Deep V's I meant the Aerohead OC's .
Talked with my LWG (local Wheel Guru) - he wants to do deepV's with 32 3x rear. I I'm only going to do the rear at this time. I was asked weight and intended purpose, He thought the Deep V's would be more bulletproof. I need to some follow up with him tomorrow, so I'll let you know what transpires. I haven't put down any earnest money yet, so I can switch. I've actually ridden the Aerohead's before in the Easton Orion Guise
I wanted to go local just in case there's an issue - I'm sure re-do the wheel that Joe Blow from Toad Tunnel Town built would sit REAL well. And mark has done a lot of stuff for me in the past
As Far as Brevet riding, I'm sticking with the shorter stuff, as least until I get a less crazy work/Life balance. I've got a few bites, but they're still for the mainframe stuff, and I'm trying to get some "spiffier" things to stick on the ol' CV
Now to put tires on the wheels I just borrowed- it looks custom may becoming a lost art from what I had to pick from

Fredwina
05-25-2007, 05:38 PM
at last!
I have the rear
Velocity Fusions (between the Areohead and the Deep V
Ultegra Hub
32 Dt spokes
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/Fredwina_photo/DSCI0034.jpg

mimitabby
05-25-2007, 06:20 PM
happy trails, Fredwina!