PDA

View Full Version : mtn biking courses

hipcanucky
06-20-2002, 10:04 AM
Interested in mtn biking and was wondering is it worth taking a mtn biking course or will I learn while riding? Are any good and (not expensive) courses available in southern Ontario?

gapgoil
06-20-2002, 10:18 AM
I know that I have recently become involved with a group from my area, that I found out about on line. There are organized rides a couple times a week, and although they aren't courses on "how to ride", I learned pretty quickly from following others. It's also nice to ride and learn with other women too. Don't know where abouts you are in S. Ont., but I am sure that your local bike shop could even hook you up with others to ride with. It can't hurt to ask. Also, I know that there are a lot of 'guy' websites that originate in your neck of the woods, you can always check them out and see if they are affiliated with a womens' one. :D

hipcanucky
06-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely check out the bike stores for more info- never considered them anything more than a just selling bikes!

lyndaj
06-22-2002, 04:59 AM
Sorry for my cynicism, but I think if you need a course, you shouldn't be riding a mountain bike.

DoubleLori
06-22-2002, 08:00 AM
What smug arrogance! "I think if you need a course, you shouldn't be riding a mountain bike." Excuse me, but I have never seen an infant pop from the womb knowing how to ride a mountain bike or any other bike for that matter. Skills are acquired, not inborn. Everyone has to start somewhere.

gapgoil
06-23-2002, 09:39 AM
I believe that we all have to start somewhere, and discouraging someone to ride because they are new, is very sad. It is that kind of attitude that makes people less likely to try something new, or to be intimidated to try with those who have experience.
So, ride your bike, learn with those willing to help, then teach someone else to ride. It's the best thing that you can do for someone!!!

hipcanucky
06-23-2002, 04:39 PM
Thanks DoubleLori & Gapgirl for your advice and encouragement.
After that previous remark, I am more adament about not only learning 1st hand but how I can later help others! Thanks!

Kittenbug
06-24-2002, 09:21 AM
Hi! First let me say good for you! Wanting to learn is always a good thing, for anything I think! I have been riding for a few years, my husband, then boyfriend got me started.:)

I rode only with him till recently going to a Woman's Mountain Biking Symposium! It was so much fun & I learned tons! They had guy & girl "instructors" and broke us up based on our skill level. It was held by the MMBA(Michigan Mountain Bike Association.) along with the DNR (Depatment of Natural Resources). It was nice to meet and ride with other females and learn and be able to ask questions,etc. My husband is great, but not to learn from so much.:rolleyes: I think I was a lot more relaxed without him there.
I would love to take more like it! I am also trying to find some in my area. I just think it is good to learn certain things from others that know more and can give you tips,etc. Some things aren't too fun to leran the hard way. Where abouts in South Ontario are you? I used to spend a lot of time insummers in Ontario & alos a lot of time in the Southeastern part year round as I had a (former)fiance just outside of Windsor in Essex County) I love Ontario! ;) Well, if you can give me a better idea where you are I may be able to help you! Good luck!

juleshort
06-24-2002, 02:14 PM
I think taking lessons is a great idea! I bought a bike and just started riding, and when I wanted to start riding singletrack, I got an instuctor. After 4 lessons I was flying down things I wouldn't have dreamed of attempting before. Just a few bike handling skills allowed me to do what I wanted to do. Go for it!

hipcanucky
06-25-2002, 05:32 PM
Kittenbug: I live in Brant County (between Hamilton & London) - know of any resources, services, etc...that I can further look into?

hipcanucky
06-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Juleshort: Glad to hear your brief and effective lessons have payed off!

pennys
06-26-2002, 11:31 AM
how about finding some folks who to ride with who will let you pick their brains. If they can explain things in language you can understadn, it's a bonus. I had the pleaserue of doing an epic backcountry ride with some folks who were way better than me, one is a pro guide in Moab... they were more than happy to give me pointers.
As for "if you need courses you shouldn't be riding"... I am sorry, that is so lame!!! You were never an eager beginner? I guess not.

tammy
07-09-2002, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by lyndaj
Sorry for my cynicism, but I think if you need a course, you shouldn't be riding a mountain bike.

That has to be about the rudest, most despicable thing I have ever heard someone say.

Hip, I do trust that after all the replies you've received, you realize now that most of us who mountain bike are very thrilled to have a new rider join our ranks, and are excited for you and your desire to learn. Don't let one unthinking elitist steer you away from an activity that will change your life in so many wonderful ways.:D

han-grrl
07-12-2002, 07:36 AM
Hey Gals and to LindaJ

i happen to be a Level I mountain bike instructor/coach. What this means is that i teach beginners. I have gone through the National Coaching Certification Program, where you learn about coaching in general as well as how to teach the skills. And no it isn't THAT obvious how to teach skills.

LindaJ, you should keep in mind that A LOT of women who take up mountain biking are older. I have taught 30 and 40 year old women who haven't been ON a bike since they were 10! Perhaps you have been riding for a long time, but keep in mind guys are a lot more adventurous when it comes to riding, popping wheelies since they were on a trike. Women tend to be less dearing, and unfortunate fact, something i have been guilty of in the past. A women's-only course does AMAZING things for a women's confidence. When i taught earlier this summer we had beginner women going over this obstacle with a ramp and stairs by the end of the weekend (and these were BEGINNER women). When i started to learn (ON MY OWN, may i ad) there was no way you would have paid me Bill Gates salary to even try that. So the fact that we had beginners who were unsure of themselves on saturday and by sunday we had them doing that little trick is an amazing thing. I am proud of them.

SO...a course can do amazing things to help your technique and your confidence. Something you can't always get by riding with the buddies. I learned a lot myself doing the training to LEARN to teach. There is a great deal you take for granted when you have been riding for a long time. And to teach very basic skills, you have to remember all the things that made you nervous the first time you sat on the saddle.

those were my two canadian cents.
Happy riding!

Hannah

ayermail2
07-12-2002, 01:35 PM
Where can I take a course like that?! That sounds like a lot of fun.....( I am in Winston-Salem, NC USA)....

ayermail2
07-17-2002, 04:29 AM
Guess what girls!!? There's a Ladies Mtn Biking Racing Team locally that is offering mtb training rides at Tanglewood Park every Wednesday!!! This morning was the first time I had ever changed my tires (I had slicks, just changed to knobbies!!) so now I get to go - I am so excited:p . It's so freeing to be able to change your own tires and not wait for the bike shop to be open (which isn't til 9:30 in the morning...)
I'll let you know how it goes - this'll be my first time on the trails with clipless pedals (not that I have been on the trails a whole lot yet anyway....)

StormingColour
07-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Wow! Too cool. I am going to seek out a beginner skills course in late summer this year. Accordig to the trails I ride, i am at the beginning of intermediate. I hope by the end of the summer to be doing some hard trails. I want to learn everything right now and my mind seems up to it. Now, if I could ony get my body in shape as quickly as I get my attitude... ;)

Too -> I am still having trials and tirbulations with my clipless. They have a learnig curve, but I have already seen the value in them.

ayermail2
07-17-2002, 06:19 PM
I think it was just about everything - I had been there (Tanglewood Park) once before and fell off one of the bridges, and remembered the turns being really tight, so I couldn't shake the nervousness, BUT the ladies (& Chuck!) were very helpful, waiting at points where the paths had choices of directions, at the tops of hills and all that! There were points where I felt like crying (but didn't!), and other points where I was ABSOLUTELY SURE I would fall (but I didn't!:D ) There were other points where I said, "I like this! I could handle that!" (it was nice and flat, just close together with the trees on either side :o ) And even other points where I was totally amazed that I had actually made it through!!

All that in an hour, in a less-than-5-mile ride....go figure!

PS I had the clipless pedals, but I didn't clip in - they are new to me on road too - think that it's been about 3 weeks since I got 'em - not quite ready to use them on the trail, although I can certainly see the benefit - a couple of times my feet just flew off (well, a lot of me just seemed to be flailing!)

I am probably at the beginning of beginner!

And just think, I can do this every Wednesday...

han-grrl
07-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Hey Y'all new the clipless world :D

here are some bits of advice i have given my students:
1) try it inside or outside leaning against a wall. clip into both pedals
2) try practicing clipping in and out with each pedal (one foot on the ground). this allows you to make sure the setting is ok. if it is tight try loosening them (there are two screws, for spd's, one in the front and one in the back. for time pedals you flip the cleat around. i don't recommend time pedals for beginners.)
3) one of the best places to practice ANYTHING to do with balance is on grass. it provides a nice soft landing if you fail to unclip.

hope this helps

good luck!

Han

:p

StormingColour
07-19-2002, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice :)

Now for the tough part... go and apply it!

I find the more I talk myself into having the courage, the more courage I have. I am already doing things that I never thought I would do. I am pretty lucky though. I have an excellent biking partner. He has limitless patience for instructing and knows when to be quiet too. He never seems to get upset when I am "being a baby" (he doesn't say it, I just know I am ;) )

I am probably going to go for a few hour ride on SUnday. I am looking forward to getting on my bike for a long one.

Dogmama
07-20-2002, 04:18 AM
There is a course held in Oct (?) in Moab - the name of it is escaping me at the moment - maybe someone else knows about it. I almost went last year - it sounded really good.

I'm a road rider who got a mt bike about a year ago. So, I don't know nuthin' about dirt! I'm still learning (on my own) but would like to be taught the basics so I can do more things.

Kim

han-grrl
07-20-2002, 10:34 PM
here are some bits of advice i give to my students:

1) be patient with yourself. remember you are doing this to be outside and get some exercise. no point in getting all frustrated if something intimidates you. the hill has been there for thousands of years and will still be there tomorrow if you want to try it again.
2) if all else fails: keep your weight back, momentum is your friend, don't think so much and smile!
3) don't forget to breathe and to loosen the death grip on your handlebars. I think we all tend to get a little excited on the trail and not realize we are holding our breath!
4) practice practice practice. i think a lot of people equate mountain biking to just plain biking. a lot of skill and fitness is required. hey some people are naturals. most of us (including me) need to work at it.

Happy riding!

Han