PDA

View Full Version : first 75 mile ride *and* cyclometer

maryellen
07-25-2004, 03:59 PM
psyched that I did my first 75 mile ride today. *And* I installed my new bike computer on the bike yesterday, so today was my first opportunity to use it (a cats eye double wireless). I love it. Looking forward to being able to track my mileage more accurately.

JanT
07-25-2004, 07:44 PM
WOW! 75 miles! Did you go with a group or by yourself?

maryellen
07-26-2004, 01:15 AM
I had planned to do an organized ride, but the weather was iffy in nyc, so I decided to stay close to home and did it alone doing (seemingly endless) loops in Central Park. 75 miles was my goal for the organized ride so I was pretty determined to do 75 miles one way or another. And as it turned out, the weather cooperated and the sun came out in the afternoon.

My goal is to do a century at a tour before the end of this season.

caligurl
07-26-2004, 07:25 AM
WOW! good for you!!!!! and in my humble and newbie opinion... even more so cuz it was laps! lol!

JanT
07-26-2004, 07:36 AM
Laps, AND by yourself, and still you went the distance. You are dedicated and brave. I usually try to make my long rides big loops, or at least out/backs, so when I get tired, I don't have the option of cutting it short!

maryellen
07-26-2004, 09:11 AM
believe me, the new cyclocomputer was a huge motivator (and aid, as I didn't have to keep track of the laps in my head). I told my partner I would do 75 miles if possible, and there's no way to lie with the computer right there on my handlebar!

fasteryet
07-26-2004, 01:43 PM
maryellen, congrats on your distance. Do you know about Transportation Alternatives? They are a group in NYC that promotes biking and walking. Every Sept. they do a choose your distance charity ride. We did 55 miles last year, but you can do 15, 35, 55, 75, or 100. It's really fun, you meet some great people and get to see as much or as little of NY as you wish.
Here's the link:
http://www.transalt.org/calendar/century/index.html

maryellen
07-26-2004, 06:03 PM
hi fasteryet, I'm actually a proud member of TA. Unforutunately, Ill be out of town on vacation the weekends of Sept 11-12 and and 18-19. I'll be missing out on some great rides in the NYC area! I love doing organized rides because I can ride at my own pace, yet not alone!