PDA

View Full Version : jerseys

tinkerbell
06-19-2002, 11:53 AM
I know the heading for this forumn says "down with unisex" so I ask this question with a little apprehension ;) What really is the difference between men and women's jerseys? My local bike shops carry such a large variety of men's jerseys and about 2 women's jerseys (if I'm lucky!) Because of the larger selection it also seems easier to find a men's jersey on clearance or for a decent price. Is there really a difference--couldn't I just wear a men's jersey in a smaller size?

assassin__x
06-21-2002, 06:06 AM
The two biggest things I've noticed when I've had to wear clothes made for men:

1) their torso's are longer, shirts come down to my crotch.

2) they have no curves. There's always this bunch of fabric around the waist that should be fitting closer.

As far as items such as shorts, I suppose that the chamois is different, but I'm not sure, but this is why I won't wear men's jerseys.

While we're on this topic, has anyone ever tried the MEC jerseys?? Their basic one for women fits me awful, they feel to me that they are just trimmed down men's jerseys. Is this just me, or do they fit other women well??

gapgoil
06-21-2002, 07:22 AM
I found that men's jersey's tend to ride up on me. I try to cut the elastic at the bottom to give me some slack. I agree with assassin, the cut is clearly different. I have a Cannonndale Terra, sleeveless shirt that I love. It's really comfy, and breathes well. It has no elastic at the bottom, so it doens't ride up.
I've never tried the MEC shirts, I checked out the l/s one's yesterday, they seemed ok. Did buy the Women's Samurai short from MEC yesterday, and love them. They are a nice weight mtn bike short, longer leg length, and they really wear well in the saddle. I highly recommend them. I wear their chamois as well, although I do like the fit of the Cannondale seperate as well. Whew! Hope this helps. ;)

DoubleLori
06-22-2002, 08:20 AM
I've had mixed success with women's jerseys. I have one Cannondale and one Pearl Izumi that both fit and work well, but I have another Pearl Izumi that I hate--it is cut too short, is made of an uncomfortable sticky fabric, & the pockets are too small (unusable for anything larger than an energy bar). I tend to wear the mens jersey's on long rides such as centuries because of the larger pocket capacity. They don't look as good, but can carry jacket, arm & leg warmers, etc. My Pearl Izumi women's long-sleeve jersey does fit very well and has good pocket capacity, but it is only suitable for winter and early spring due to its extra warmth. I think you just have to try a jersey on and check the fit and pocket capacity and note how the pockets are situated on your back (will they actually be usable?).

donelle
11-03-2002, 01:29 AM
i agree - the men's jerseys do have this bit of elastic at the bottom, which rides up as you get going. one other problem that I have with them, however, is that they are all cut for skinney male professional cyclists - and they definately do not have swimmers shoulders, and a woman's shape!

missliz
11-12-2002, 09:16 PM
I find it's just like buying any other kind of clothes- brands all fit different and you just have to try them on. I have broad shoulders and big boobs and have some mens jerseys that I've altered, cut out the elastic and put darts in some for shape. More aero. Performance bike has a cheap house jersy that I like, very shaped and usually good colors. I like Primal wear mens jerseys with the elastic cut out, they're awfully loud but they're cut for the general population (relaxed fit?) Their womens stuff is so pretty I just drool over it but it doesn't fit. Darn.
Sometimes you just have to buy the "unisex" for the smart aleck statement, too.

aquawife
11-03-2003, 04:47 PM
If you can find a men's jersey that fits well then go for it. I have a men's Castelli that is really nice. It does have that annoying bit of elastic around the bottom but the fabric is so awesome that I can deal with it. Of course, I'm rather thin with small boobs so I can get away with a men's cut jersey (as long as it's close fitting). I have some women's jersey's from Danskin that are really great. They have a great cut and the fabric is really nice. I also have a Shebeest jersey that looks great. I've seen that the Shebeest cuts work really well for women that have bigger chests than I do. But as with everything else in the cycling world, one size or style does not fit all.