PDA

View Full Version : Newbie bike fit question

MellyinIL
07-22-2004, 03:59 AM
I hope this won't be too long-winded. :)

In November, I bought a Terry bike off Ebay. I'm 5'0, and I bought the 16", which is what I had read would be the right size. Yesterday, I went to a bike shop that does a more detailed bike fit than my regular bike shop. The guy told me that my Terry was too short between the seat and handlebars.... apparently I'm riding w/ a hunched back. Btw...standover height is good...I've got about an inch above, but I know standover isn't the only indicator. He then promptly proceeded to have me try out the Specialized Dolce Sport (which I did LOVE). However, it was a size 48. That just seems big to me for someone of my height. Plus, there was no question in my mind that he wanted to sell me the bike. I'm sure he's trying to get rid of his 2004 stock.

He did tell me that one thing to look for in fit was that the front quick release should be hidden by the handlebars when I'm sitting on the bike. With my Terry, I'm sitting so the QR is way above the handlebars...w/ the Dolce it was perfect. Also, I've always felt a little unsteady/twitchy, I'm not really sure of right word, on my Terry (I'd ridden a Giant Cypress comfort bike prior to getting the Terry). I'm not sure if that's because I'm sitting too far forward, or because of the smaller front tire.

One last thing (I promise)....for speed/handing/hills, would I be better off w/ 650 cc tires? The Terry obviously has two different sizes (24" and 700cc), and the Dolce had two 700cc tires.

Thanks for any help. :)

Adventure Girl
07-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Hi, MellyinIL. Welcome to the forum.

Every few weeks, I see another thread here asking about the fit on a particular bike. It is really impossible for that question to be answered accurately in an online discussion group. It would be similar to having you answer this: I'm 5' 0" tall and weigh 119 pounds. Do you think size 5 DKNY jeans will fit me? Every BODY and every BIKE is different.

I think what you need is a LBS that you can trust. I know that's hard if it's your first bike, but I think you're on the right track. Read everything you can, then ask the person fitting your bike the appropriate questions. Try using the "search" function here. There are several threads that address road bike fit. A few of them might even have links. This might help http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Good luck!:D

Adventure Girl
07-22-2004, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by MellyinIL
for speed/handing/hills, would I be better off w/ 650 cc tires? The Terry obviously has two different sizes (24" and 700cc), and the Dolce had two 700cc tires. I didn't know they had different size wheels on front and back! Interesting! Given all other things being equal (same gearing, crank lengths, etc.), a bike with smaller wheels will be better on climbs, but not as good for top speed.

emily_in_nc
07-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Melly,

My last bike (still have it but only use it on the trainer now) was a Terry Isis in a 17.5" size, so I think I can lend something to this discussion. I am 5'2" and the 17.5" Terry fits me perfectly from a top-tube length perspective. There is a rider in my club who is 4'11" and rides the 16" Terry, which also fits her just fine (it's her second Terry, in fact).

However, what is not right on Terry, and what may be your issue as well, is the stem length. Terry spec's out a very short stem - 65 mm in length on their smaller bikes to accommodate women's shorter torsos. However, a one-size-fits-all approach to stems doesn't work for all women, and I now know that it was too short for me. I didn't know this when I was riding that bike as I was a newbie. I also found that my handlebars were behind the front hub when I rode, and that my back was a bit hunched over rather than at a nice flat 45-degree angle. I also felt a lot of twitchiness in the front end of the bike, particularly when climbing out of the saddle.

Through a lot of research, I discovered that some of the causes of twitchiness are (in no particular order):

1. Short stem length - when you're not over the front wheel enough, it's more squirrelly.

2. Narrow handlebars - this is something else the Terry bikes have - normally 38 cm wide, and if they match your shoulder width, are better to stick with despite the slight penalty in twitchiness. (I have these on my new bike and do not have a twitchiness issue.)

3. Small front wheel - once again, this is a side effect of riding a Terry, whose geometry really fits a more petite woman. The smaller front wheel prevents toe overlap, which occurs when your toe can hit the front tire on a turn and can result in a crash. This is very likely with a small woman, short top tubes, and 700c wheels, and can also happen with 650c wheels if the top tube is short enough. It won't happen with Terry's 24" wheels (or a Bike Friday or other folding bike's 20" wheels).

So, the one thing that you may want to look at changing, which is likely to help your fit and bike handling, is the stem length. When I got my new bike (a carbon-frame Aegis Swift with 650c wheels - you can see it in my picture to the left), the top tube was exactly the same as my Terry (19"), so I spec'd out a 70mm stem. When I started riding the bike, I noticed that the handlebars were behind the front hub by quite a lot, and by this time, I realized that was not desirable. My back was also complaining and felt like it wanted to be more stretched out. So I swapped out the stem for a 90mm, and wow! What a difference that made. Now the front hub is obscured by the bars when I ride on the hoods and in the drops, my back is flat (not like a racer, but a nice 45 degree angle with no hunching), and what's more, I am much more comfortable on my bike! I used to get back pain riding my Terry, and I now think that was due to being too bunched up with the short stem.

I have heard that Terry offers a 90mm stem in their larger-sized bikes, so you might be able to order one from them to try. Or, you could try a LBS - perhaps a different one that is not trying to sell you a new bike!! - to see if they can order you another stem that is compatible with your bike (you probably need a threaded stem rather than the more common threadless) in a length that will work for you - you might need an 80mm or even a 100mm length. This will be a lot less expensive than a new bike (my new stem was around $30), and you may find that it changes an awful lot re. your comfort and handling on your current bike.

I do think you probably have the right size bike for you. I have tried 48cm bikes, and they are too big for me at 5'2". My Swift is a 46cm. So, it's a good thing that you are skeptical of the salesperson's motivation in telling you your bike doesn't fit! A stem change is one of the most common fit-related changes you can make, and it sounds to me like that would be a smart first step for you.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Emily

bounceswoosh
07-22-2004, 09:25 AM
Melly:

You may want to look around and see if any of your LBSes offer a fit service. This means different things in different stores (and hence has different prices), but the general goal is to get your bike to fit you better. It's amazing what a difference swapping your stem out or moving your seat just a tiny bit can make.

yogabear
07-22-2004, 10:31 AM
I am somewhat of a shorty :) myself (5'1) so I understand what it's like to have bike fit issues. I spent over a year and a half trying to figure out the right road bike for me, after being in pain for 7 years on too big of a road bike. I switched from a 49 cm Bianchi Veloce with 700 cc wheels to a 47cm Guru Racelite road bike with 650 cc wheels and I love it. I am still tweaking some things with the cockpit, but it is so much more comfortable for me having the shorter top tube (I'm long legs with short torso). I don't have any more wrist or crotch pain...yay!

One thing I can say about the 650 cc wheels is that I honestly don't notice many differences. I find my bike just wants to go LOL...it's super light so that's why I am sure. I don't have any toe overlap (even if I try to turn the wheel at a 90 degree angle which is not something I think you do on a road bike very often? I tend to counter-steer in corners more). Have someone help you check it on a windtrainer...or like I did...my hubby rode it and checked it for me (carefully LOL).

I tend to be more of a spinner in my pedalling style anyway so I don't really notice that phenomenon some people mentioned to me where you have to pedal more/faster to go the same as someone with 700 cc wheels. I guess if I become a super beast, I can always get a bigger big ring (that will take some time though LOL). I also don't notice much twitchiness...my other bike was like riding a telephone pole and didn't respond at all, so I am sure I'd notice if 650 cc wheels made my bike handle twitchy LOL.

Just wanted to give you some ideas about the 650 cc wheels. The only downfall I see is that if I flat in a group, it's a bit more of a logistical problem and when I race, I will probably need to get another set of wheels for the pit.

If you can't find any good bike fitters in IL, I know 2 really awesome ones up here in Michigan which might be a drive, but it could be worth it for you to get professionally fit by someone that does bike fits besides just selling the bikes. One of the people I know does bike fit 6 days per week...it's his life. :) Let me know if you want any names.

Let us know what you go with!

Happy Ridin',

Lisa

MellyinIL
07-22-2004, 01:04 PM
I really appreciate all the suggestions. :)

Emily, I definitely think I will try the longer stem length. My local LBS guy mentioned that as an option. He also mentioned wider handlebars, which I'm interested in at least testing out. Maybe it will make a difference for me w/ the twitchiness, maybe not. I didn't go to him for the fitting because he doesn't do a really detailed one, which I had heard this other guy did. This other guy also told me that a longer stem length wouldn't help, btw. I think he really wanted to get that 2004 out of the shop.

Also, thanks for the info on the 650 wheels, Lisa. I'm not a racer, but if I can get up hills faster, I'm all for that. :D The Dolce did have 700 cc wheels, and the guy said that toe overlap would absolutely not be a problem. :confused:

MellyinIL
07-23-2004, 10:27 AM
I went into my LBS today, and the bike guy (who I'd talked to on the phone) switched out the stem. He only had a 110 mm adjustable stem on hand, but he wanted me to try it out just so we could get an idea of the size I might need. I could not believe the difference. The 110 mm size is definitely a little too long...but he's going to order a 90 mm for me. And the handling was much more comfortable for me.

Again...thank you everyone for the suggestions. :)

emily_in_nc
07-23-2004, 11:54 AM
That is fantastic news, Melly!

I hope the new stem will work for you!

Emily