PDA

View Full Version : The running equivalent of the 'bike short' question!

Kimmyt
04-18-2007, 06:57 PM
So, running shorts.

They come with those mesh liner things.

Do you wear undies under there, or not? I'm used to going commando with bike shorts, so just seeing what others do here.

K.

Veronica
04-18-2007, 07:03 PM
That's funny. As I was riding to work this morning I was wondering why running shorts are so short.

And on those rare occasions when I run, I wear compression shorts (bike shorts w/o the chamois.)

So runners, tell us all about the ins and outs of running shorts. :p

V.

KnottedYet
04-18-2007, 07:07 PM
I don't wear underwear in my liner-equipped running shorts.

yellow
04-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Less is more.

'Nuf said.

I personally prefer the compression shorts because they keep me from getting thigh chafe. But I also LOVE my Race Ready (http://raceready.com/women/shorts.html) shorts for very long runs, though. The pockets are awesome.:D

Wahine
04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Commando is the way to go and I second the compression short advice for long runs, prevents chafing up high if you're built with bigger thighs. If you're not using compression shorts use body glide if chafing is an issue.

I have a pair of Lulu Lemon shorts I love because they are snug enough to stay in place and prevent chafing but they are also loose at the leg hole opening making them more like a regular short. That makes me feel a little less "revealing".

colby
04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I really like compression shorts/tights, and it seems weird to wear underwear under them if they fit right. I guess I am just too modest to wear 1-3" inseam shorts. Maybe OVER my compression shorts... ;)

Veronica
04-18-2007, 07:25 PM
Oh good! I'm glad to know I'm not a running dork with my compression shorts au natural. :rolleyes:

V.

roadie gal
04-19-2007, 06:58 AM
When I wear compression shorts, I don't wear anything underneath.

Usually I wear the looser running shorts with a liner. I get the ones from Roadrunner with the 4 inch inseam so I get a bit more coverage. They do ride up a little when my chunky thighs rub, but they're not as bad as the shorter ones.

rocknrollgirl
04-19-2007, 12:01 PM
RUN NAKED!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh, sorry , did I say that out loud? Just kidding Kimmy. I do go commando if they have a liner.

alpinerabbit
04-19-2007, 12:19 PM
Commando. All my undies are cotton (I would not wear artificial fibers down there everyday for the life of me) and it absorbs sweat and you get chilled around your lower back. Particularly when it is still rather cool out. Not good.

kelownagirl
04-19-2007, 08:09 PM
Good timing for this topic. As a new runner, I don't even OWN a single pair of shorts that aren't for biking. I am off to buy some this weekend. Do I want loose fitting ones or compressions shorts or are there others? I am a complete novice in this topic. I like the idea of no undies. Wouldn't have even thought of it.

KnottedYet
04-19-2007, 08:15 PM
I have both compression shorts and longer-inseamed running shorts with liner. I like them both, but would never wear the compression shorts by themselves, even though I'll cheerfully wear bike shorts by themselves!

kelownagirl
04-19-2007, 08:21 PM
So am I to understand that compression shorts are tighter like bike shorts? Are there certain times or situations when one of the other are worn?

Pika
04-19-2007, 08:23 PM
sounds like I'm the only underwear girl here:rolleyes: ...I wear'm under all my running shorts- guess they are redundant in the one's with liners but I am tooo lazy to wash my shorts very time I wear them ( of course the same is NOT true for my unders!:p )- this way I get a couple of runs outta them before they go to the wash- hmm never thought that was weird until now...:p the things I learn on this forum:)

KnottedYet
04-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Compression vs. Loose running shorts: Depends on how shy you are!

I wear compression shorts under my sweats, and if I want to run with bare legs I wear my Brooks long-ish inseam shorts with liners.

roadie gal
04-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Whether I wear compression vs loose shorts is totally dependent on what's on top of the "clean pile".:D

Kimmyt
04-20-2007, 07:43 AM
haha nice!

I, too, am dictated by my laundry schedule (or rather, lack thereof)

i only have one pair of 'running shorts' a pair of cheapo target shorts that came with liners. they don't fit quite right though, i think they're too small. i do like the idea of the shorty shorts though, with the high slits up the outside of the thighs, because thats where i get chafing when i run. I may try the compression short in the future when I start training for longer distances.

thanks for the info girls! commando it is! (with all these sports requiring no underdoodles, i'm starting to wonder if i should just toss em all out and start going commando full time... hehe, i know tmi, just kidding!)

K.

chickwhorips
04-20-2007, 07:54 AM
i have these running shorts (http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=17618) that i love and do wear underwear under them. the underwear are the mesh ones, i can't seem to find them on their website otherwise i'd link them. i like them because they don't give you the super wedgie. the shorts stay lower too, i don't like high rise stuff, and they stay right where i want them.

otherwise i have a pair of compression shorts when i run longer also, which i don't wear underwear under.

ahh.... can't wait to run again.

kaybee
04-20-2007, 12:24 PM
I agree with roadie gal about the Road Runner shorts. All of my running shorts are from RR, have a liner, and I don't wear underwear with them. Most of them are made of some sort of super soft fabric that doesn't seem to chafe, even if they do ride up a bit. Personally, I don't care for compression shorts because they seem hot and constricting to me. Just another opinion.

KB

EBD
04-20-2007, 07:21 PM
I wear running short with liners, and I usually do wear underwear - I'm with Pika, I don't wash them everytime I wear them, so . . . undewear are probably a good idea. I run 5-6 times a week and only have 2 pairs of shorts I like, so they get lots of use.

But my favorites are a size too big (that's why they're my favorites!), and as I was running today, and the liner was bunching and the cotton undies were bunching a bit . . . I realized I would probably be more comfortable without. But old habits die hard.

I don't think the only purpose of the liners are underwear-substitutes - they also keep the shorts from riding up.

teigyr
05-08-2007, 02:45 PM
So are there any looser shorts that don't ride up? I am just starting out in running and have cycling shorts only :) I like the idea of loose, especially in the summer, but I don't want bunching or anything like that. I'm 5'11" too so while too long can look goofy on me, shorter things look too short.

Have to admit, also, I would love to vary the cycling short tan line a bit.

I saw someone running today who wasn't small and her shorts appeared to not bunch. I didn't want to stop to ask her what kind they were but every time I see a taller/larger person wearing stuff that doesn't ride up (jerseys included) I'm tempted!

HappyAnika
05-10-2007, 11:36 AM
I don't like "running" shorts because they are too short, the waist is too tight, and I hate the liners. I have large thighs compared to my waist. The smallest part of my waist is really, really high, so elastic bands on running shorts tend to ride up to that part which makes me look like a dork. I like lower rise shorts that won't pinch and will fit my legs. Not easy to find. I have two pairs of general workout shorts I wear running, my old Nike dri fit shorts, which on their way out because they are old and worn. My other pair are new and I love them so much I'm getting a second pair: http://www.landsend.com/pp/PerformanceSportShorts-72239_161657_59.html?CM_MERCH=PAGE_172&sid=8729162448428175932 (I think I must wear mine a little lower than the model does, or maybe she just has really long legs, they don't look that short on me). I saw the picture of these and thought they would work for me because they have a smaller waist that doesn't pinch and large leg openings. Bingo! They fit me perfectly. I wear my regular cotton underwear with them. They don't ride up or chaffe, but I only run about 3 miles at a time. I'm working on increasing my distance and don't anticipate any problems. My favorite thing about them is a zippered MP3 pocket that fits my nanopod pefectly, also has a key pocket on the outside. :)

teigyr
05-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Interesting shorts! Are the legs tighter or looser? It looks like it would go either way. I think I might have to pick some up! What about them makes them not ride up? I swear, ALL shorts except compression ones have that problem :D

How is the sizing? Is it better to order true to size or up a bit?

Thank you so much, I think I will have to get some of these. Would they be ok for the gym too? Meaning if I was on a weight bench, would people be able to look up them? (The hopeful answer is no! :D )

KSH
05-10-2007, 07:09 PM
So, running shorts.

They come with those mesh liner things.

Do you wear undies under there, or not? I'm used to going commando with bike shorts, so just seeing what others do here.

K.

I do not buy shorts with undies built in. I have too big of a booty for those little things not to be annoying or riding up my butt.

So, I buy shorts and wear undies I know will stay down.