PDA

View Full Version : Canyonlands National Park

Veronica
07-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Has anyone ridden either the White Rim Trail or the Maze in Canyonlands? We're thinking about doing a tour and both sound amazing.

Veronica

Irulan
07-21-2004, 05:49 PM
I've hiked the maze, I didn't know you could take bikes in there.

Irulan

gabrielle
07-21-2004, 08:33 PM
I did the WRT almost two years ago with some friends of mine.

google alt.mountain-bike with my name and "white rim trail" and you should come up with my trip report.

It is a fabulous ride. Anything specific you want to know?

gabrielle

Veronica
07-22-2004, 04:08 AM
Thanks for pointing me to your write up. If we can get a group together it sounds like a self supported with SAG - I knew there was a new truck in my future - is pretty doable on White Rim.

Veronica

Irulan
07-22-2004, 12:36 PM
Veronica, I am terribly curious about biking in the Maze. I spent a good long backpacking/camping trip there 20+ years ago, 5+ hours of lo range 4wd in a real 4x4, and hiked both down into the maze for a few days, and down the the colorado rivers at Spanish Bottom.

Would you be biking in the park, or actually in to the Maze proper? I'd think the way we drove in would be an awesome ride. (Flint trail, I think)

For those of you who don't know much about it, the Maze really is like a Maze, worn in sandstone canyons that wind around on them selves. The topo map of it is amazing... I'm sure there must be cool stuff on the web now. My trip was extremely pre-internet, early 80's.

irulan

Veronica
07-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Here's a link to one of the tour companies that does it. It sounds fascinating and I like that it is more inaccessible. I'm not a big fan of crowds.

V.

http://www.escapeadventures.com/tours/tour16.htm

Irulan
07-22-2004, 06:35 PM
OK, yeah, they hike you into the maze. I was wondering how you'd get bikes in there!!! It's awesome country. What a fantastic place for a mtb tour!! Believe everything you read about that road and how rough it is for 4wd. The drop offs and tight corners on the road were hell on a vehicle, but I think it'd be great riding! Spring, or Fall I hope. There is one section where the road is a car-width of flattish sandstone ledge that you drive on. Dang I wish I had a scanner, I have great old pix.

We went back there with backpacks and a 4x4 toyota pickup, me and three guys, the dog: 20 gallons of gas, 40 gallons of water, 2 spares, hi lift jack, winch, tool kit, 11 cases of beer and 1 case of hard liquor. ;-) Ah, youth, memories....

anyhoo... must read book for this trip is The Monkey Wrench Gang by Ed Abbey.. it takes place in the very locale.

Irulan

addendum, I was looking at that site, I think the TE gals should forumulate a list of question for you to ask the tour company, so you don't end up with Yellowstone-ish less than 100% experience.

Veronica
10-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Sadie Katie had mentioned that she had good experiences with Escape Adventures. Has anybody done a tour with Rim Tours? They offer just about the same trip on White Rim. They don't do The Maze until April and I'm not off then. :mad: I hate being back on a traditional school schedule.

Veronica

Pedal Wench
10-30-2004, 04:38 PM
No real experience with Rim Tours, but I've talked to them a few times - we're thinking about doing the White Rim too. They really took their time answering, even though we were basically asking if we could do it on our own. We hiked down to the White Rim and watched a few folks on a 4x4, and a few bikes. It was amazing - we were out on Murphy's Hogback, and the rise up to that didn't look like something I would want to drive or ride, but everyone does it, so I guess it's do-able!
Let us know about it when you go!

spazzdog
04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
old thread, I know, but I was cruizin' around the web and found this link

http://www.cyberseek.com/nabs/gallery-UTmaze.htm

thought you might like the photos...

spazz

SadieKate
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
I've gone with Rim Tours, Western Spirit and Escape. I would probably recommend in that order. Rim just slightly edges Western - based on their guides and a truly awesome office manager, Denice, who will do whatever it takes to make you happy and make sure you have everything you need.

We've done several trips total. We would have ridden the Maze with Rim this year except for the house purchase in Bend. I can give you lots of specific Qs to ask (like is there disinfectant spray always put next to the groover). Each company will do a slightly different itinerary and some are more willing than others to vary it based on clients' skills and fitness. We did Bryce to Zion with Rim last year and rode nearly all singletrack while the Escape folks did a lot of dirt road. Pay attention to the trips that seem like the same itinerary but are more days. Sometimes the "more days" is just hiking. My knees are happy riding but they get crank hiking. I'm not willing to pay for days that I can't ride.

According to Scott E at Rim, they go more remote on the Maze than the other companies. From what I've heard the White Rim can be done self-supported fairly easily. The Maze not as much as it is a long way out. The Maze is a highly sensitive place and requires tons of permits.

If you decide to do either of these trips, please keep us in mind. They are the top 2 next "must do" tours for us. Maybe even a custom trip, 6-8 min. If you have 10, 1 goes free. We have met some wonderful people on these trips. Having guides can be cool because many of them can share a lot of local history and natural history knowledge. Damon at Rim (if he's back - went off to his sweetie on the east coast after our trip last year) has a degree in geology and can give you a full lecture on anything you're looking at. Pretty neat.

Scott is the middle guy in the yellow helmet. Damon is the guy you can see barely peeking over me. :p
Bryce to Zion (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sadiekatel/detail?.dir=aa4a&.dnm=29c5.jpg&.src=ph) These are 2 of the best we've run into on our several trips.

PS - One of Rim's guides, Jenna Woodbury, consistently takes a top 3 placing in the women's solo cat of 24 Hrs of Moab. It's kind of scary to watch her climb at high altitude on steep, loose terrain. :eek:

SadieKate
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
anyhoo... must read book for this trip is The Monkey Wrench Gang by Ed Abbey.. it takes place in the very locale.

IrulanI just re-read that last summer. I agree with you. Sure makes you look at all the "progress" in a more thoughtful way. My dad went to college with old Ed. Said he used to squat in a corner of the room at parties and glower at everyone over his beer :).

SadieKate
04-21-2005, 09:06 AM
They don't do The Maze until April and I'm not off then. :mad: I hate being back on a traditional school schedule.

VeronicaV, the problem is both the Maze and the Rim are at lower elevations and get hot fast. Aren't they both available in the fall also? I think the Rim can be done in a longer weekend -- a 3-day tour plus driving time? You can drive to Moab in 1 day but it is a long haul.

Don't stay overnight in Austin. Go the extra hour to Eureka where they have real food. Did I ever tell you the story of the non-melting butter on my potato? We decided that it could be used in place of Judy Butter or as insulation on the space shuttle. That was the best Austin had to offer.