PDA

View Full Version : short legs, long torso

glenghillie
07-21-2004, 12:41 PM
I am 5'4" and have an inseam of 28". I have been told I need a small frame--15". I am looking at a Fisher Zebrano as I am just getting into fitness and bak into biking. Does anyone have any other ideas. I have tried on Fuji (no thanks not for me) Giant (a good 2nd) Trek (will compare again) and Scwhinn (I would ride the fuji first and it hurt in the test ride).

wavedancer
07-29-2004, 04:59 PM
I have a similar problem with short legs/longer torso and I found very few off-the-rack bikes that would fit me. I ended up with a Cannondale WSD road bike with a 44cm frame and 650c wheels that fits quite well. If I recall correctly the Trek fit about the same and the Giant had a longer reach in the cockpit. Too long for me (at 5'1"), but maybe right for you?

I got a mountain bike this year and the ONLY frame I found that I had more than 1" of stand-over clearance was a Gary Fisher Big Sur GS, extra small (13"). I'm very happy with both these bikes.

analogrrl
07-30-2004, 02:42 PM
Hi there, I just bought a Gary Fisher Tassajara women's mt. bike that is 15.5 inches. I am 5'3 and also have a 28" inseam. It was SO difficult to find one that gave me enough of a standover clearance. I tried the 13" and there was about 3 or so inches but the frame felt a little small. I also tried the new 2005 Specialized Rockhopper and they changed the top tube angle for the unisex one and it gave me a comfortable clearance.