PDA

View Full Version : Giving it a whirl tomorrow...

northstar
04-17-2007, 06:06 PM
Hey ladies,

Asking for some happy thoughts for tomorrow. I live about 16 miles from school and am going to ride home from school tomorrow. A colleague of mine lives just two blocks away, so she's picking me up in the morning, and I'm loading Myrtle up and will ride her home at the end of the day. I felt safer trying the ride home first (no time constraints!) I figure that's a nice distance to ride home, and most of it is off road, paved paths, so it should be ok. I'm just noticing a few gaps in the map that I may require a bit of exploring...fortunately tomorrow looks like a sunny 60 degree day, so the weather should be pleasant enough if things get hairy. And help is always just a phone call away if I get desperate. :)

Anyway, assuming all goes well, I'd really like to start commuting on Fridays, since they're more casual days, and a more relaxed day for me at school in general. So I'd love to do at least one day a week. We'll see.

I'm nervous, and excited! And proud to leave our car in the garage for the day!

Wish me luck.

mimitabby
04-17-2007, 06:23 PM
good luck! I'm like you. Baby steps.

madscot13
04-17-2007, 07:11 PM
that is super cool. My parents live 19 miles away and I would love to be able to bike from school to see them. Maybe some day!

ps where in Minneapolis are you from? I'm from St. Paul. woot woot!

bikerHen
04-17-2007, 08:15 PM
You can do it! I commute almost everyday and love it! The more you do the better it gets. What seems like a big deal now will be ho-hum in a few months. The next thing you know you'll be hooked. :D Good luck. bikerHen

Offthegrid
04-18-2007, 04:16 AM
Wow, 16 miles! That is a good distance. Have fun. It's supposed to start warming up here this weekend.

cosc
04-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Northstar, I hope your commute home is a wonderful ride. I can still remember as a 10 year old how excited and nervous I was the day before I rode my bike to school on that 1st day. It was the 1st of many exciting adventures.

northstar
04-18-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks ladies!

I talked to a colleague who commutes in the same general direction as me. He gave me some tips and helped me nail down a route. He also seemed interested in commuting together. Sounds like fun! People were fascinated as I came in this morning with my bike! It's fun to kind of put a bug in their ear about biking as a realistic (fantastic!) option.

It was also quite entertaining to see my students come in to see my bike. They've heard me talk about it for a long time!

madscot - I'm in Northeast Mpls. Just behind the Quarry. Gotta love being two blocks from Target! Are you doing the St. Paul Classic this fall?

northstar
04-18-2007, 03:57 PM
It went really well. It wound up being about 17 miles, which is a nice distance for me at this point. I may have to ask my colleague if she'd be willing to carpool a couple times a week so I can just ride home. Wonder if she'd mind, as long as I helped her with gas $$$...

Next time it will be even more fun, since I won't have the nerves of losing my way.

Thanks for all the support!

madscot13
04-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Northstar
I am thinking about doing the St. Paul Classic. I just started riding bikes again this summer after a ten year lapse. So I am not much of an endurance rider yet. I think the farthest I have biked is 11 miles. Oh and I am pokey. I am working on upping the distances though!

Let me know if you go. It would be great to know a TC area rider! ( I think the Seattle riders are dominating the forum- We have to represent!)

Jo-n-NY
04-19-2007, 11:19 AM
I just saw the post Northstar....congratulations!!!! I still have yet to try myself, but it is still dark when I leave in the morning. I think I will be fine in about two weeks.

I am so happy to hear your commute went well!!!

~ JoAnn

northstar
04-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks Jo!

I was too nervous to try riding to work. Then I remembered reading someone's advice about driving partway and biking the part I felt more confident on...it worked really well to carpool in with my coworker and then ride home. I was able to take my time and not freak out when I realized I wasn't exactly where I wanted my route to take me. If that had happened while riding in, I probably would have had a meltdown!

I did check with my coworker, and she is happy to pick me up any morning and drive Myrtle and me in. :) I am hoping to do this about twice a week from now on.

It's supposed to be 70 today, maybe 80 tomorrow, so perhaps I should scout some alternate routes!

bikerHen
04-20-2007, 06:35 AM
I did check with my coworker, and she is happy to pick me up any morning and drive Myrtle and me in. :) I am hoping to do this about twice a week from now on.

It's supposed to be 70 today, maybe 80 tomorrow, so perhaps I should scout some alternate routes!

See, I told you so! :D It's a great feeling to commute. I'm thinking as the weather gets nicer you'll be commuting both ways in no time. And don't forget the added benefit of being a great role model for your students. Keep up the good work and enjoy! :D bikerHen

Jo-n-NY
04-20-2007, 06:55 AM
Thanks Jo!

I was too nervous to try riding to work. Then I remembered reading someone's advice about driving partway and biking the part I felt more confident on...it worked really well to carpool in with my coworker and then ride home. I was able to take my time and not freak out when I realized I wasn't exactly where I wanted my route to take me. If that had happened while riding in, I probably would have had a meltdown!

I am so happy to hear all is working out so well for you. Yes, I am sure I will be out there in a couple of weeks. I noticed with the sunshine today, it was fairly light when I got up. I just need it lighter a half hour earlier then I will be fine.

Great Job and Enjoy!!!!

~ JoAnn

Crankin
04-21-2007, 05:54 AM
I find having my bike in the classroom is a great rapport builder, esp. with the boys. They ask a lot of questions. And none of them can fathom riding a bike 15 miles to school!
I've done the partial commute thing a few times since I moved further away from work. I make the ride back to my car longer, so i get a 20 mile ride in. However, now I feel I am ready to do the whole thing and the light will be fine in a week or so. My decision is do I ride my heavy mtb commuter with a pannier that will not require me to bring clothes to work before hand or ride my road bike? I am afraid the ride on my commuter will be long and somewhat painful, since i usually don't average much over 11-12 on that bike, esp. when it is loaded. On my road bike, though I do go slower when commuting, I think I can do the trip in just over an hour or so.

northstar
04-21-2007, 01:38 PM
I kept the bike back behind my desk, and kids were coming up to get a closer look all day. Two of my girls recently told me that they have started riding in together, too. Something must be clicking there...exciting! I agree with what a previous poster said - it is kind of a teaching tool/example. Fun, fun!