PDA

View Full Version : Foot Pain BACK!!

Jenn
04-17-2007, 05:43 PM
OMG, my podiatrist wasn't kidding about the whole up to 6 weeks healing process. While we visited my dad in Taxco, Mexico everything was UPHILL on Cobbelstone streets and my heel was a screamin'. Had to go to see him today because the pain was unbearable. He taped it wrapped it and did and ultrasound.....the news was NOT good. He put supports in the heels of my walking/running( whihch I'm not allowed) shoes, looked at my cycling shoes like...ok.....they are not an issue....and said the ultrasound showed my AT was VERY swollen my heel spur was getting worse, and to call my insurance about orthotics. Well, of course, military ..Tricare....unless I'm a diabetic they don't cover orthotics, they'd rather pay for surgery.....
Anyway, I'm sitting here, rolling my foot on a small frozen bottle of water, stretching my tendons, took some ibuprofin, thinking of the tragedy of yesterday.....ok, who is hormonal???? ME!~~~:(
Anyway, he mentioned Croq's, I don't know how they spell them but to wear around the house because I am to NOT go barefoot at all.........Oh hell, I'm havin' a glass of wine, it's been a bad day.....
Cheers to ya'll..........{{{{Hugs}}}}

JenLeath
04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Ohhh. Bad flashbacks. I had a persistant on a couple of years ago. I was out for 8 weeks. I don't go barefoot unless I am on a very cushy surface. I do wear the less expensive brand like Crocs when I am at home. They make a big difference and they don't get gross like slippers. I had the same insurance problem with getting orthotics. My PT told me to try some sofsoles, I have been wearing them in all my shoes for 1 1/2 years now and they work fine. I have the firmer ones in my running shoes and the softer ones in my others. I have heard that superfeet is a great brand too.

I had a boss who had the surgery, she said it was a drag at first. But it's been several years and she doesn't have any problems anymore.

Good Luck

Jen L

mtbdarby
04-18-2007, 05:49 AM
Jenn, I feel for ya girl. I'm going through the same thing right now. I have bunions and a hypermobile first joint, and I pronate. Except, instead of my feet falling in, I overcompensate and walk on the outside of my feet putting a ton of pressure on my foot and shins. My insurance denied as well, and my podiatrist quoted me $750 for a pair of orthodics which doesn't include the cost of 3 office visits!

I called a specialty shoe store an hour away who did my stride analysis and found out they are a preferred provider for a different insurance company for orthodics. They only charge $250 a pair! Now I just need to wait until he's healed from back surgery and the plantars warts on my feet that are being treated heal (ya wouldn't believe the pain I was in yesterday - and no alcohol in the house!).

I also bought some OTC orthodics. Since my problem comes from the hypermobile first ray and the bunion on that joint, OTC ones won't really help. They don't support that joint, just the arch and heel of the foot. But I thought I'd try it and see if it relieved any pain. Anyway, what I'm trying to tell you is make some calls on the orthodics to find a cheaper solution. I feel for you on the pain side - I am registered for a duathlon on May 5th and I haven't run in 3 weeks! Right now the best I can do is hobble. But all we can do is the best we can do, right? Good luck and keep us posted.

Jenn
04-18-2007, 06:47 AM
OH it's so nice to know I'm not alone:o This thing has been a nightmare. He told me I will never run again, not with the size of the spur and he wants me to lay off any type of exercise for a few weeks, but I just can't do that, mentally, it is what keeps me sane as a stay at home mom!!
$750 for orthotics HOLY COW:eek: !! I knew they'd be expensive but dang!! Someone told me about a place here called happy feet that sells something like it and they are like $120 a pair which is more in my price range!
I am just so sick of getting out of bed in the morning and feeling like I have hot poker slammed up my heel, it's hell, it really is. Ok, sorry enough of the pity party, I'm going to take my daughter for a walk, while my foot and heel is taped!:(

Deb in Bend,OR
04-18-2007, 07:40 AM
Jenn,
I just found this website and hope to learn a lot more about my heel problem. It just started about a month ago-- I bought a new bike and have put 200 miles on it. I ride a good amount of hills and wonder if it is the pulling on my clipless pedals that have caused my heel pain. I also have been told not to walk around the house without shoes and have been shown how to tape it-- I just want to treat it early and not have it turn into a chronic problem--any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated--thank you from the bottom of my heel (I mean heart) ;) Deb in beautiful Bend,OR

Jenn
04-18-2007, 08:26 AM
Hi Deb, and welcome!
You know ironically I didn't really start having this heel pain until I started spinning in January and it's just gradually gotten worse. I wish my Dr would have showed me how to tape my foot. He did suggest I move my cips back on my shoes so that I'm not straining my foot as much on the down stroke. I feel for you, you HAVE to walk on your feet everday so there is no thing as complete rest for them. It just stinks that I've forgotten what it feels like to be able to walk around and not be in pain.:( Like he said they take a very long time to heal....but I'm like....ok already it's been a few months! Best wishes to you and your heel I hope yours gets better, and welcome again!!:D

Deb in Bend,OR
04-18-2007, 09:52 AM
Jenn,
Thanks for the warm welcome, I will continue to educate myself and pass on anything I learn, I just put summer road tires on my bike and am waiting for it to warm up a bit to ride today. My husband and I used to ride back in New England and after 5 moves and raising 3 kids I am back on the bike and forgot what a great workout it is-- and the reward at the end of the day a hot bath and glass of wine!! (The biking keeps the hot flashes away,but we need to invent a wine that does!) :p