PDA

View Full Version : Cayuse Pass and will it affect RAMROD?

Susan126
04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I heard that due to all the damage that was caused by the November 2006 storm that WSDOT and Mount Rainier National Park will not open SR 123 between Cayuse Pass and Stevens Canyon. Will this affect the RAMROD?

Look at these pictures at the WSDOT web page:

November 2006 Cayuse Pass Closure Photos
(http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/Passes/Cayuse/November2006.htm)

Amazing pictures!

mimitabby
04-17-2007, 04:12 PM
yes, it will affect Ramrod. This year they will have a totally different route.
instead of going "all the way around" Mt Rainier in one day they will Go around on Mt Rainier.

The ride will be just as long, just as challenging, just different. Experts are working hard to ensure that the ride is going to be great for all involved.

Susan126
04-17-2007, 06:49 PM
I can't wait to see a map of the new course. RCC always had a map posted at their web site. I even saved the map image the year I did it. Wow a different course this year! And I'm sure just as challenging if not more so!

I would love to do the climb to Paradise again. I love climbing. And the thrill of flying down Paradise! Just awesome! One of the best rides I have ever been on. Great people, great ride, great support! I would love to do the RAMROD again. But next time . . . with someone or with a group or team. The first time I did it I rode solo and that was not a good thing. I made it to Cayuse at 1:21 PM and just bonked. People working at the stop on top of Cayuse (where you pick up 410) were very encouraging and said it was all down hill from there but I was drained! A very kind man named Greg (no not Greg Lemond . . . but he did ride the RAMROD that year) gave my bike and me a lift to the end. So yes I would definitely do it again but with a team or a bunch of friends.

Thanks for the info Mimitabby!

mimitabby
04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Greg Sneed is my buddy. :D

The hard thing about doing Ramrod in a group is that everyone climbs and descends at different speeds. I can't imagine keeping up with folks on a ride like that! But I'm not ready for a ride like that either.

Starfish
04-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Susan, if you like to climb, check out:

http://www.olympiccyclingclassic.com

Not RAMROD, but 111 miles with over 6000 feet, and beautiful scenery if the weather cooperates so that all the mountains are "out".

I've never done the whole ride, but I live up here, and I have done all the parts of it on various rides by myself. There is some good climbing!

Susan126
04-18-2007, 06:17 AM
Mimitabby, tell Greg he really saved a poor, tired, exhausted rider in 2004 and that she really appreciated his ride back to the finish.

Starfish, thanks for the link and information. I see there will be a 30 mile route this year. I may have to come and ride it. Being so out of shape that 30 mile loop looks about right for me this year!

I always loved that area of Washington. Sequim, Port Angeles, the Straight and the Rain Forest! How many people know that the north american continent has a rain forest?! Beautiful area. I always loved visiting.

Starfish
04-18-2007, 07:17 PM
How many people know that the north american continent has a rain forest?!

Everyone who lives here! They don't call it the RAIN forest for nothing! For every mile west you drive from my house, it rains another inch per year. :D and :mad:

However, that said, if we get a good weather day, that ride route is truly gorgeous. Hope you make it!