PDA

View Full Version : Silly question - changing out pedals

RolliePollie
04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
This question is probably really silly...do you have to have a special wrench to remove pedals? I really want to switch my pedals out today but I don't want to drive all the way to the bike shop if I don't have to. I was going to try using an adjustable wrench but I don't want to mess anything up. It's just little old me with no DH or other helper but I really want to change out these pedals all by myself! :)

DebW
04-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Depends on the pedals. Most will take a 15 mm open wrench, and it may need to be thinner than a normal wrench or adjustable. Pedal wrenches are generally very long because pedals can get very tight. Go ahead and see if your adjustable wrench will fit the pedals, and if so, give it a try. Remember that the left pedal has left-hand threads. If you can't get them off even though your adjustable wrench fits, then you need the extra length of real pedal wrench.

KnottedYet
04-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I bought a super-long pedal wrench ($15) and love it! Gives a great lever arm for getting some oomph into those pedals. (I have wimpy spaghetti arms and need all the lever advantage I can get.) Someone earlier said "forward on, back off" to remember which way to turn the wrench, and that mnemotic is fabulous!

RolliePollie
04-14-2007, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info...I'll go give it a try with my trusty adjustable wrench! I have very weak arms though, so I may have to break down and go get a pedal wrench.

It's an icky rainy day here so I'm thinking it's a good day to put on my new pedals, prop myself up in a doorway, and clip in/clip out over and over and over and over...

DirtDiva
04-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Unless the pedals you're putting on are brand new (and hence already greased), make sure you grease the threads before you screw the pedals in so there's less chance of them corroding/seizing/generally becoming impossible to take off again at a later date.

Heaven help me if I should ever want to get the pedals ("well loved" spds) off my commuter/roadie! I had to use the pedal wrench to get them on! :eek:

RolliePollie
04-14-2007, 03:01 PM
OK, I got the old pedals off and the new pedals on! Just spent the last half hour propped in the doorway clipping and un-clipping. So far, so good. Tomorrow will be the real test...

Aside for some grease under my fingernails, the whole pedal-change-out thing was pretty easy. The old pedals were not tight at all so I had no trouble with my generic wrench. I hope I got the new ones on tight enough.

If anyone is reading this, please send me positive vibes for my maiden voyage tomorrow on clipless pedals! :eek:

DirtDiva
04-14-2007, 03:17 PM
They self-tighten as you pedal anyway, so you needn't worry there. Good luck! :)

Pedal Wench
04-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I bought a super-long pedal wrench ($15) and love it! Gives a great lever arm for getting some oomph into those pedals. (I have wimpy spaghetti arms and need all the lever advantage I can get.) Someone earlier said "forward on, back off" to remember which way to turn the wrench, and that mnemotic is fabulous!

Oddly enough, I think it was ME who said "Forward on, back off!"

Yours truly,

Pedal Wench