PDA

View Full Version : Oh Yoda...got a question

rocknrollgirl
04-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Yoda,
As you know, I have been running intervals this winter once a week. I must tell you, and anyone else that reads this that they have made a HUGE difference in my running. HUGE. I am now the speed work poster child.

Anyway, the past two weeks I have traded in the intervals for a hilly run on the trails. Is that ok?

My race venues will all be very hilly.

Thanks in advance,
Ruth

spazzdog
04-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Just don't do "speed" work and "hill" work (as in hill repeats) the same week... trade off.

And don't forget to do "core" strength work in the gym.

Your body will thank you by getting stronger, perhaps faster and staying injury free.

spazz-o-yoda

Wahine
04-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Yoda,
As you know, I have been running intervals this winter once a week. I must tell you, and anyone else that reads this that they have made a HUGE difference in my running. HUGE. I am now the speed work poster child.

Anyway, the past two weeks I have traded in the intervals for a hilly run on the trails. Is that ok?

Thanks in advance,
Ruth

Yup, the important thing is that you are hitting your zone 4 to 5 on the intervals. I don't agree with not doing any speed work while doing hills but I do recommend that you keep th eintervals very short (30 sec) to keep your neuromuscular system reminded of how to run fast. You can do these on the same days as your hills as a warm-up or on an easier day. Just keep em short and have lots of rest between the intervals (2 min at least).

rocknrollgirl
04-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks my green friend......

spazzdog
04-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I meant don't do speed work AND hill repeats during the same week. A trail run that happens to have hills is just a "run".

Sorry for any corn-fusion.

spazz

tattiefritter
04-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Yoda,
As you know, I have been running intervals this winter once a week. I must tell you, and anyone else that reads this that they have made a HUGE difference in my running. HUGE. Ruth

I start doing some proper intervals again next week (easy week this week). I really enjoy doing intervals (well mostly) and they have made a huge difference to my speed also so I'm looking forward to it. I'm thinking of doing 3 weeks of intervals, and easy week, then changing to either tempo runs (I find these really useful as well) or hill repeats for three weeks, then back to intervals. I'm trying to vary my running training to stop getting bored as it looks like the earliest 10K I'll be able to run in will be in July.

I tried doing intervals and tempo runs in the same week when training for my 10K last year and it just annihilated my legs for anything else so I won't be doing that again. My legs are already turning to jelly at the thought of hill repeats (wibble).

Wahine
04-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Thanks my green friend......

"It's hard being green." - Kermit the Frog

I posted this because I think it's funny. Not because I don't like it when people ask me questions. As you know, I looooovvvve to talk about training, with people who are interested.