PDA

View Full Version : The Capitals of Crash - how does your city rank?

GLC1968
04-06-2007, 08:46 AM
OMG, mine is an F!! :eek: And here I was thinking that the drivers here were better than any other place I've lived...including Boston. Who knew?!

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=health&category=metrogrades&conitem=e38dd5fa2e1c1110VgnVCM20000012281eac____&page=1

bmccasland
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Amazing that New Orleans isn't on the list - maybe it's because our roads are SO bad, we don't have as many accidents. You don't dare speed (except for a certain city councilwoman late for a meeting caught doing 100+ on the interstate the other day). Anyway, you don't dare speed on our streets or you'll tear up your car. Thank goodness we have the levee bike path. And on the "north shore" there's a rails-to-trails path.

MomOnBike
04-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey, I'm right, I DO live in a good place to move around. Lincoln, NE got an A-. We are #13 on the list. Not bad.

Now to go read the article...

sgtiger
04-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Seattle C+???! There always some road that is closed down because of an accident. I drive by at least one wreck per week. It makes me wonder just how much worse these other cities could be that rated lower.

teigyr
04-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Heh. The site is blocked while I'm at work due to the fact it's "R Rated". Of course I shouldn't be surprised...I got blocked before looking for zombie barbie dolls (a gift for a friend) due to the fact it was obscene/tasteless.

I'll live life vicariously and read what peoples city scores are :)

I knew Seattle wouldn't be so great. Seattle is SO advanced in so many ways and yet so challenged in other ways.

bike4ever
04-06-2007, 03:59 PM
I totally was not surprised that St. Louis received an "F". One challenge of managing a bike shop here is offering suggestions to get around the terribly mean drivers in regards to cyclists.

snapdragen
04-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Huh, I didn't expect this: 10. San Jose, CA A-

Kitsune06
04-09-2007, 09:34 AM
16. Portland, OR B(+? -? I forget)

MINIskirt
04-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Fresno, CA - D+

Not too surprising, but I expected worse.

mimitabby
04-09-2007, 10:21 AM
NewYORK CITY A+ !!!!

and stay away from Orlando, FL!! F

maillotpois
04-09-2007, 10:36 AM
Huh, I didn't expect this: 10. San Jose, CA A-

Well, and how about this:

5. San Francisco, CA A

Offthegrid
04-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Yeah, how can anyone say NYC has good drivers? :rolleyes:

My city isn't there, but Philadelphia somehow also got a good score. Although usually when I visit Philly I'm the one being a bad driver because I'm lost.

Aggie_Ama
04-09-2007, 02:08 PM
I am not surprised by this one:
82 Memphis, TN D

I have never been so scared in my life as driving in Memphis! Lordy those people are crazy.

How Houston is at 54 and ahead of Austin is beyond me, Houston is really scary to drive in (or ride with someone from there).:eek:

GLC1968
04-11-2007, 05:37 AM
I think the study may be rated based on all their criteria vs population. That might explain why cities with decent public transportation & tons of people rate better. There are just less people in cars compared to the overall population.

In fact, that might explain my area...especially if they count winter driving. We don't have much population, we do have TONS of cars, and no one here has any clue how to drive in the winter. It amazes me how BAD the drivers get when the weather goes sour!

pyxichick
04-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Minneapolis is quite safe (7) but I guess I'll try to do more rides on the other side of the river from now on. St. Paul ranked 6th!

I gotta say, our drivers are really pretty good, at least when it comes to respecting cyclists. I suspect that's because most of them also have bikes.

rij73
05-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Just reading this now... As a New Yorker, I am not surprised at our A+ grade. I honestly see very few accidents. I think living in a city that's so crowded, everyone develops a good ability to stay in your own space. Drivers are a little agressive, but they are good drivers and know what they can do without crashing. Also, the streets tend to be so congested, that no one can go fast enough to actually crash!

Shatteredshards
05-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Minneapolis is quite safe (7) but I guess I'll try to do more rides on the other side of the river from now on. St. Paul ranked 6th!

I gotta say, our drivers are really pretty good, at least when it comes to respecting cyclists. I suspect that's because most of them also have bikes.

I'm weary of riding on the roads here because so many drivers cannot follow traffic laws. For frick's sake, I am nearly hit by a driver when crossing the street, when I have the right of way, 2-3 times every week. When I do try riding road, I don't feel like they're intentionally tailing me/giving me little room/whatever, but I feel like they could be much more curtious, and I do see plenty of other cyclists get cut off, etc when they are following traffic laws and have the right of way.

I mostly stay in the south Minneapolis/Edina/Richfield area, but to me this isn't accurate. Maybe drivers are not causing as many crashes as other states, but by no means are our drivers good and/or safe drivers.