PDA

View Full Version : Fun RIDES in VA

Batbike
04-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Many FUN RIDES in VA in May!

As an addition to IFjanes Fun Ride in VA post ... let me suggest a trio of VA rides for May:

START in Lynchburg, VA: http://www.cvbikefestival.com/

CONTINUE the RIDE in Madison, VA: www.rideva.com/tourdemadison/index.htm

FINISH the MONTH on an UPhill in Radford, VA: http://www.cyclingdoubleheader.com/index.html

IFjane
04-05-2007, 12:43 PM
Thank you Bat! You are right - I should have posted the others as well.

We are doing the Cap2Cap century with KayTee on the 5th (ANOTHER fun VA ride!) so we won't be able to do Thunder Ridge on the 6th - but might head that way the following weekend to do the route anyway.

Are you doing the Wilderness Ride or MOM? I am doing the Wilderness Ride. Yikes! I need to make hotel reservations.....

See you soon!

Batbike
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
IFjane -- yes, I plan on doing the Wilderness Ride. I haven't signed-up for any ride ... yet ... but plan on registering for both Tour de Madison and Wilderness Ride at end of April.

As for Thunder Ridge, the roads are well marked if you come and do the ride yourself. You can get a map off web page too. I actually went and rode the 40 mile course the other week by following last year's marks -- had never done it before so was curious. It was harder than I realized but very pretty route! If you come in town to ride it, let me know because it would be fun to ride together (I will try to snag you a map or two day of ride). I won't be riding the route day of event, working it instead. Our Girl Scout troop is volunteering to work rest stop (I am a leader); my son's Boy Scout troop is volunteering to work other rest stop -- I will be a busy. It will be fun.

GLC1968
04-26-2007, 06:05 AM
thanks for posting this! My husband and I are thinking about doing one of these rides.

How bad is MOM? We had planned on doing 3-state, 3-mountain on May 5th, but we both came down with a nasty chest cold that has set our training back significantly. I'm wondering if we can turn it around soon enough to do MOM?

Is there some good climbing in the 78 mile Wilderness ride option?

Thanks!

Batbike
04-26-2007, 06:26 AM
How bad is MOM?

Is there some good climbing in the 78 mile Wilderness ride option?

Thanks!

MOM: I considerate this in the EXTREME ride catagory -- if you go to the link it will give you the climbing #'s. I have never done it because of my inability to be able to climb that much. Those I know who do MOM have a triple or compact with VERY low gearing (putting mountain bike gearing on road bike just for ride). To reach the top is quite an accomplishment!!

Good climbing in 78 mile Wilderness Ride: YES! There is some good hills -- I have in my mind a very difficult hill or two (that I actually DREAD! climbing) and am always glad when they are done! It is a beautiful ride -- NOT flat but rolling to hilly climbs. Personally, it maxes my comfort zone in terms of combination of climbs and distance which is why I like the ride. Also, very pretty route and run exceptionally well!!

GLC1968
04-26-2007, 06:41 AM
We both have well geared triples, so I think our bikes can do it. I'm not so sure the engines are up to it this year though! ;)

I'm going to suggest we consider the Wilderness ride this year. Thanks!! :D

IFjane
04-26-2007, 11:52 AM
GLC - my SO and I are planning on doing the Wilderness Ride this year, too. If we don't see you before, let's try to get together there. I have a suggestion - come down to the Tour de Madison. It won't be as challenging as the Wilderness ride, both because it's shorter and the hills aren't as....uh.....hilly :rolleyes: It will be a good prep for the Wilderness Ride.

See y'all soon!