PDA

View Full Version : New bike computer or HR Monitor?

kelownagirl
04-04-2007, 09:04 PM
I have an ok bike computer and an ok HRmonitor. I would like to buy something with an altimeter that will track my climbing. I have a Mac so the software issue if not important to me, although, I could download it to DH's computer if I wanted to.

My question:

Am I better off buying a new bike computer with an altimeter, that can calculate the total feet climbed, and % grade etc, or a new HR Monitor that does the same thing?

Any recommendations? I want to spend as much as necessary, but no more. :)

Thanks.

Fredwina
04-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Would you use the HRM in any other sports? If not, you could get an "all-in-1" unit like the Polar CS400 (http://www.polarusa.com/Products/cs/cs400.asp?cat=consumer)

kelownagirl
04-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Oh good question - I do want to be able to use it for running as well...

equus123
04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
depends on what your goals and ambitions are. why would you get a new computer - why do you need to measure climbs? ...why would you need a HRM - what's the point of knowing your heart rate? ask yourself those questions and whichever is closes to what you ultimately want then pick that one. i know it's super vague but so is the question to everyone who doesn't know you. you know?

i race. i need to know what i'm doing, how hard, how fast, what cadence, etc. so the first thing i purchased back in the day after getting my 1st bike (w/ computer) was a HRM. now since i've progressed far, i just purchased a powertap. if you're a serious competitive cyclist then training off of heart rate is way too variable to be exact though it does do it's job. being able to measure wattage and use that as your training tool is super helpful and precise. but it all boils down to what your goals are.

if you want to use something for running as well, how could you do that with a bike computer? :o :p

kelownagirl
04-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks Equus, those are all things I need to figure out I guess. I have an "ok" HRM and an "ok" bike computer. If I find a good, yet somewhat affordable bike computer with an altimeter, then I can use my old HRM for running. Or I may decide to get a HRM with an altimeter and use it for biking and running.

Why do I want it? Mostly because I love the data - it makes me work harder. I thought it would good to keep track of the climbing I do - I know it would make me work harder on my climbing, trying to beat my previous record etc. I'm not racing (yet), but I wouldn't cross that off my list entirely and I am trying to put together some sort of actual training program for myself. I'm a tech-geek I guess. The power meters look cool too but I can't afford one... Oh well...

wavedancer
04-10-2007, 06:40 PM
I recently got the Garmin Edge 305 and am really enjoying it. I got it with both the heart rate and cadence feature and can use it both outdoors with the GPS and barometric altimeter and indoors with the cadence and rear wheel sensor. I like getting the feedback while I'm riding and can upload the info to track progress over subsequent rides. The GPS mapping feature allows me to see my route and it is possible to download routes and compete against a "virtual partner". I haven't tried that yet. If you're a techno-geek it definitely has plenty of info to play with!