PDA

View Full Version : April D.C. TE Ride

7rider
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Okay, folks.
Shall we try a ride for April?
I'm itching to head off-road. All my recent attempts have been thwarted for one reason or another.
Shall we try for a Tax-Day ride?
Thoughts?
Let's start a discussion.....

divingbiker
04-05-2007, 04:15 AM
I was just thinking yesterday that it would be fun to do another part of the C&O with Kalidurga leading us, since she knows it so well. I really enjoyed the 25 or so miles we (Nicole, Tam, and I) did last fall. Not sure if she's feeling warm enough just yet (especially not today--yikes! what a cold commute) but maybe if we beg? April 15 sounds good to me.

If that doesn't work out, Regina, I'd be glad go mountain biking, but we might get lost.

HillSlugger
04-05-2007, 05:52 AM
I can do trail, but not a mountain bike ride.

On a different note, before my 50 miler in June I'd like to do at least a 40 mile ride. The only 40 mile ride I've done is the Poolesville ride, including the Mt Nebo stretch. Anyone got other routes to suggest?

7rider
04-05-2007, 08:40 AM
Trail sounds good for me, too. A jaunt out and back on the C&O from Riley's Lock (or other?)?
Janice, we can save mtb for an attempt at Fairland, too.

Nicole - check out my "Triathalon Loop" - leaving from Cloverly on routeslip.com. It's marked as a bit over 32 miles from the Safeway on NH Ave., but if you add in to/from your house to that area, you should be able to bump it up to approaching 40. I think that's what we get to/from our place in Colesville. It's rolling hills - like the "French Countryside" loop, but longer. I'd do that ride with you, if you'd like (longer rides can be boring solo!).

Kalidurga
04-05-2007, 04:03 PM
If this darned cold snap is gone by then, I'd love to do a group ride on the C&O on the 15th. I did 21 miles on the paved W&OD on Tuesday (glorious weather that day, too bad it didn't last!), and as I was crossing over White's Ferry on the way home I decided I just had to get in a few miles on the C&O, too. So I stopped and did about 5 miles before the sun set.

Riley's Lock either upstream or down is a nice ride, though it can be crowded. Depending on how much driving you guys want to do, we could start farther upstream.

And speaking of mtb, I want to give that a try this year. Has anyone ever taken one of these classes? --> The Bike Lane: Women's Beginner MTB Clinic (http://thebikelane.com/page.cfm?PageID=349)

HillSlugger
04-06-2007, 06:51 AM
Riley's Lock either upstream or down is a nice ride, though it can be crowded. Depending on how much driving you guys want to do, we could start farther upstream.

What are alternative starting points?

aicabsolut
04-06-2007, 07:32 AM
If y'all are going off-road, I guess I'll have to try to go race at NC State that weekend.

Nicole, some of my teammates like to do the NCVC espresso ride. I can try to get the cues in a few weeks, though the club is so huge maybe you can ask around. We start from FB/Gtown and head out MacArthur to Poolesville. Where it goes out there I'm not sure, I just follow.

Trying to get my friend to tell me some good routes down in Quantico. I hear the roads are good and the traffic is light. Only about 30 min drive for me to get there.

Kalidurga
04-06-2007, 09:00 AM
What are alternative starting points?

If you guys want to drive a bit farther, we could begin at White's Ferry and head upstream. That could take us across the Monocacy Aquaduct, which is pretty nifty.

If you want to drive significantly farther, we could begin at Point of Rocks and head upstream past Brunswick, which has a cool coffee shop in an old church.

If you want to drive even further than that, we could begin at Brunswick and go upstream past Harper's Ferry, with or without a trip across the river to visit Harper's Ferry.

I figure you guys should choose where we begin on any C&O group rides we do, since you'd all be doing more driving than I would.

HillSlugger
04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
I would vote for starting at either Riley's Lock or White's Ferry.

divingbiker
04-06-2007, 10:39 AM
If this darned cold snap is gone by then, I'd love to do a group ride on the C&O on the 15th. I did 21 miles on the paved W&OD on Tuesday (glorious weather that day, too bad it didn't last!), and as I was crossing over White's Ferry on the way home I decided I just had to get in a few miles on the C&O, too. So I stopped and did about 5 miles before the sun set.

And speaking of mtb, I want to give that a try this year. Has anyone ever taken one of these classes? --> The Bike Lane: Women's Beginner MTB Clinic (http://thebikelane.com/page.cfm?PageID=349)

Since we already did the Riley's Lock north ride, I'd vote for White's Ferry as my first choice (but if that's too much driving I'd be glad to do the Riley's Lock ride again.)

Tam, I'm signed up for the first session of the Beginner MTB Clinic, the one that starts April 18. Want to join me?

Velobambina
04-06-2007, 01:00 PM
OK -- I just heard SNOW is predicted for tonight into Saturday am. It's supposed to accumulate only on grassy areas, but we'll see.
Sorry I can't join you. My 'cross bikes now has road tires so we can't handle the C&O.
If yinz get out, ENJOY!!

7rider
04-06-2007, 05:44 PM
Velo-b., the ride would be April 15th - enough time for the snow to melt! Do you still have the 'cross tires for the bike to put on and join us?

Okay - looks like April 15th (that's a sunday, right?) from White's Ferry, heading out of town on the C&O until...well, we feel like turning around.
Off road. 'cross or mtb's recommended, although a sturdy hybrid should be able to handle that section, right?

Sound like a plan? Time?

Kewl. I get to take out my mtb to play! :cool:

HillSlugger
04-06-2007, 06:23 PM
Okay - looks like April 15th (that's a sunday, right?) from White's Ferry, heading out of town on the C&O until...well, we feel like turning around.
Off road. 'cross or mtb's recommended, although a sturdy hybrid should be able to handle that section, right?

Sound like a plan? Time?

I assume it's OK to park at White's Ferry? (Don't want to get lectured again :rolleyes: )

Sounds like a plan! Set the time next week when we can see the weather predictions?

Velobambina
04-07-2007, 01:03 AM
LOL--Sorry, didn't look at the date. I'm so bummed out about the snow (it's coming down now)! Just when I was making up for the outdoor time I lost in February...
Unfortunately, the 'cross tires on my bike were crap so we tossed them. I don't have an extra set of wheels for that bike yet, so it's going to be a road machine for now.

7rider
04-07-2007, 03:22 AM
I'm making the same assumption, Nicole.
We had 2 votes for Whites Ferry (3, if you count me - I'm up for just about anything, as long as you point me in the right direction!. 4 if you count Tam's suggestion as a vote), 2 who can do only road (and we'll be doing road rides soon, too!). And the untold silent millions who have voiced no opinion!

Kalidurga
04-07-2007, 03:34 AM
Thanks for suggesting this, Regina! At this point, it looks like we're going to have temps back up around 60 by Friday, 4/13, so hopefully the 15th will be plenty warm.

Nicole: Yup, there's a good sized parking lot at White's Ferry for boaters, bikers (motor- and bi-), picnickers, etc.

Velobambina: Does your bike take 700's? I have an extra set of 'cross tires (just splurged on some new 700x30 knobbies that I'm gonna try out on the 15th). If I had a way of getting them to you, I'd be happy to loan 'em. Depending on what time the ride's planned for, would you want to meet early and swap 'em out before we begin?

Janice: I can't do the April mtb class, but I'm thinking about the one in May if they don't fill up by the time I make up my mind. My store's big annual sale begins that week (if anyone needs jewelry or gift items...), so I wouldn't be able to leave early that Wednesday :( Definitely let me know what the class is like, though.

So, what time on April 15? And, does anyone need directions to White's Ferry?

7rider
04-07-2007, 04:51 AM
And, does anyone need directions to White's Ferry?

Ooooo. I do! I do!

Regina (who can get lost in a paper bag!)

7rider
04-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Oh....and for those of you who are sad because of this late-Spring snow...
Cheer up. This is "poor man's fertilizer" for your lawn! This kind of stuff is great for your grass and garden.
http://www.weathernotebook.org/transcripts/1999/04/26.html

HillSlugger
04-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Unfortunately, the 'cross tires on my bike were crap so we tossed them. I don't have an extra set of wheels for that bike yet, so it's going to be a road machine for now.

I have some extra pairs of 700c tires, too. I've been searching for the right tires for my hybrid and have not gotten rid of anything.

Kalidurga
04-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Oh....and for those of you who are sad because of this late-Spring snow...
Cheer up. This is "poor man's fertilizer" for your lawn! This kind of stuff is great for your grass and garden.
http://www.weathernotebook.org/transcripts/1999/04/26.html

That's good to know. Actually, it was really nifty driving along Clara Barton Parkway and Canal Road on the way to work this morning. The light snow on top of the new leaves and blossoms was really beautiful.

Ok, to get to White's Ferry: First you need to get to Route 28, which you've most likely been on if you've gone to Riley's Lock. Instead of turning off towards Riley's, continue NW on Route 28 for another few miles. You'll cross over a wide bridge (Seneca Creek). Just after that, bear left onto Route 107/White's Ferry Rd. Stay on that aaaaaall the way through Poolesville and out to the Ferry (roughly 11 miles from where you turned off of Route 28). The road ends at the ferry, so there's no chance of missing it. The large dirt parking lot is to the right.

Velobambina, if you're able to join us, you may want to head out to Leesburg and take the ferry across.

The Ferry convenience store doesn't open until May, so either bring all the snacks you need or stop in Poolesville to stock up. The bathrooms at White's Ferry probably also won't be open yet, but there are two porta-johns maintained by the NPS.

7rider
04-07-2007, 12:43 PM
We just drove out there today - my first time to White's Ferry. Went to our kitchen designer's in Barnesville and thought we'd do the snack bar at White's Ferry for lunch. No luck, however, so we headed back to Bassett's in Poolesville, our usual stop in that area.
Was coooold and wind blown today. Only a few die-hards out on the path. Hopefully, next weekend will be nicer!

Kalidurga
04-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Glad you and DH were able to find it, Regina. And it's just as well that you ended up at Bassett's ;)

Kalidurga
04-10-2007, 04:36 PM
60% chance of rain on Sunday. Do we want to figure out a rain date?

HillSlugger
04-10-2007, 06:11 PM
We certainly have a few more days to watch the weather and make a decision. Let's not jinx it now ;)

Velobambina
04-11-2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks for the tire offers! It would be pain to change tires---the bike has disc brakes. I'm going to have to invest in extra wheels so I can have to option of riding off road.
Enjoy the ride. Should be beautiful, especially since the trees are greening up. I've got my fingers crossed that it won't rain over the weekend, especially since we are supposed to get some later today and tonite.

7rider
04-11-2007, 03:04 AM
Well, a week and a half ago, MORE had a mtb ride at Schaeffer. The NWS predicted a 50% chance of rain, so I ended up bailing and not going. Of course, it never rained and I missed yet ANOTHER great opportunity to take the mtb out.
Soooo...
I'm up for setting a time - perhaps late morning - and keeping an eye on the weather. Early that morning, we can check doppler (and look outside our windows! :cool: ) and make the "Go/No-go" call. We could all plan to log onto TE before we leave to see what the consensus is (including setting a rain date, if needed).
What do you think?
Also.. Velobambina...my DH"s flatbar road bike has disc brakes. I don't seem to recall them being terribly more-complicated than standard brakes at removing the wheel. And, of course, once you get the wheel off, the tire is no problem. Do let us know if you reconsider. Between the group of us...we should be able to figure it out!

Kalidurga
04-11-2007, 03:22 AM
I remember one C&O ride I did during which there were passing showers. I ended up covered in mud from the shoulders down and had to put a towel on the seat of the car to drive home. My real concern is that I never did get the new bike muddy last year, but I guess a this point I've gotta stop thinking of it as the "new" bike, anyway. Guess I'll just throw an extra towel or two in the trunk ;)

So what's late morning? 10a.m.? 11a.m.? If we are gonna ride in the rain, doing it during the warmer part of the day would be good.

7rider
04-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Getting muddy is fun.
Getting soaking wet in 40 degree weather is no fun.
11 a.m. sounds good to me. I'd have to leave the house around 10-ish in that scenario - plenty of time to veg in front of TE with a big cup o' coffee and ponder whether the National Weather Service will get it right.

Kalidurga
04-11-2007, 04:08 PM
At this point, the forecasts are incredibly contradictory.

Here's Accuweather.com: Gaithersburg, MD (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast.asp?zipcode=20879&partner=accuweather)

Here's the National Weather Service (http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapClick.php?CityName=Gaithersburg&state=MD&site=LWX)

Neither one sounds great, though. Bah... :(

HillSlugger
04-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Wind gusts to 47mph?!? :eek:

7rider
04-12-2007, 02:49 AM
Wind gusts to 47mph?!? :eek:

COOL!!!! :D :rolleyes: :cool: (How come they don't have a "tongue in cheek" smilie???)

Saturday's looking better (marginally).
Can anyone make Saturday 11 a.m.?

Kalidurga
04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
I can do this coming Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, whichever one weather permits. If the weather sucks, I'll then be scrambling to make indoor plans so that I won't turn into a couch-potato...

divingbiker
04-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Saturday morning sounds fine to me.

p.s. My new bike is being delivered tomorrow!

HillSlugger
04-12-2007, 04:25 PM
I'll have to pass on Saturday. :(

7rider
04-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Bummer, Nicole, you can't make it.
I really think Sunday is going to be a wash-out.
So..Let's plan for Saturday, 11 a.m., at White's Ferry.
Off road along the C&O.

Kalidurga
04-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Ugh. After the last few days of chilliness, it's gonna be cold Saturday morning. I guess I'm committed now, though, huh? Wonder if I could pick up a slightly warmer bike jacket on sale first thing Saturday morning...

Sorry you can't make it, Nicole :( I was going to bring you my April issue of Spokes. I'll hold onto it for you till next time.

Regina, if you ever find that "tongue in cheek" smilie, definitely let me know.

Tam (the cold-weather weenie)

HillSlugger
04-13-2007, 07:01 AM
I have family commitments on Saturday. Also, I had cataract surgery yesterday and am supposed to take it easy for a few days before I get back into working out. Sunday was already pushing it, but I was going to do it anyway. My eye doctor is a cyclist (he recommended All American Bikes to me for my first bike), knows about my triathlon training, and understands my desire to get back to it with as little down time as possible.

Have a great ride and I'll catch you on the next one!

7rider
04-13-2007, 08:24 AM
Wow. You take it easy, Nicole. Let those eyes heal. There will be plenty of other opportunities to ride.
Tam, it should be near the magical 50 at 11, so once we get moving, you'll be fine. I promise! :D

Kalidurga
04-13-2007, 09:13 AM
Actually, the hourly forecast for ****erson, MD, (http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&zipcode=20842&metric=0&hbhday=2&hbhhour=7) (darned message board editor...) shows that the "Real Feel" temp will be higher than the forecast. I'm going to bring layers anyway, though, since I'm a weenie. So, Regina, Janice & me at 11:00? Velobambina, we can't coax you to join us? Anyone else?

I second Regina's sentiments, Nicole. That doesn't sound like something to mess around with. It's great that you found a dr who understands why you're driven to get back out there, though!

dingster1
04-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Wow sounds like yall are going to have fun. Still trying to find Rt 28 from Germantown. Might come cheer you guys on!!

divingbiker
04-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Hey, Regina, do you want to carpool out to Whites Ferry? I just looked at mapquest, and it's quite a haul--about an hour from my house. I don't think you live all that far from me, and I can pick you up.

Take care of your eyes, Nicole. My sister just had cataract surgery and it greatly improved her vision. Hope you have the same results.

Dingster, please join us! Looks like it's pretty straightforward from Germantown--route 118 to route 28.

p.s. Got the new bike, but I forgot to order a seat post. Doh! So I'm off to the bike shop tonight. New bike is very, very pretty, a real work of art.

7rider
04-13-2007, 12:39 PM
That sounds great, Janice!
I'll PM you my address and phone #, okay?

Oh....the bike came without a seatpost?? :confused:

Kalidurga
04-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Wow sounds like yall are going to have fun. Still trying to find Rt 28 from Germantown. Might come cheer you guys on!!

If you get on Rte 118 (Germantown Road) heading south from Germantown, it'll run right into Rte 28. You'd then take a right and head up towards the turn-off to Rte 107. Why not join us?

Kalidurga
04-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Ugh. I had an exterminator scheduled to come to my house on Monday. When I came home from work today, they had left me a voicemail saying that the tech's not working Monday after all, but that he could come to my place tomorrow (Saturday) afternoon. I wish they had called me at work so I could have talked to them about it, but I'm going to call them at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning to find out what time in the afternoon they're talking about. So, I'll post here to say whether I can make it or not. Depending on what time in the afternoon the guy's coming, I could join you guys at 11 but maybe make my ride shorter than yours.

Damned mice and damned cat with his primitive instincts that he should no longer need to indulge since he's domesticated and well fed... :( :mad:

divingbiker
04-13-2007, 04:02 PM
That sounds great, Janice!
I'll PM you my address and phone #, okay?

Oh....the bike came without a seatpost?? :confused:

I didn't order the saddle from Rivendell, so ordering the seatpost slipped through the cracks. No problem, though, I got a very pretty Nitto seatpost from College Park Bicycles.

I'll pm you back re carpooling tomorrow.

Kalidurga
04-14-2007, 03:52 AM
I'll see you ladies at 11a.m.!

Tam (the one with the wonky schedule)

HillSlugger
04-14-2007, 09:46 AM
It looks like the weather was OK. Please post a ride report.

Catch you next time!

Nicole

dingster1
04-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I rode as soon as I got off work at 8, then drove out to the meetup just to find where it was!. I'm definitely gonna have to do this one soon!!! Now Im sitting home with ben gay on my quads!!! Oh pain!!!

Kalidurga
04-14-2007, 02:21 PM
In spite of being overcast, the weather was pretty mild. We got spit on by a few drops of rain, then had a short period of sunshine, and just missed more rain when we got back to the cars.

We rode from White's Ferry upstream to Point of Rocks and back, passing the whitewater kayaking chute at Pepco and Monocacy Aquaduct along the way. And we got chased by a Canada goose. Very casual, comfortable pace with lots of chatting and stopping when we felt like it. Just over 26, avg speed around 10mph (Regina, are you going to admit that to Tom?). Certainly not a "hammer" ride.

Definitely missed you, Nicole. And dingster1, we'd love to have you along next time.

7rider
04-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Fun ride!
Nahhhh, I haven't told Tom about the pace. He knows that I feel that there are times when the ride average mph is not the most important part of the ride.
I'll try to upload a picture or two. Tam, did you have any luck finding the flowers? I haven't looked yet, but don't imagine they'll be too hard to track down with a Google search. They were pretty common there.
Janice - did you make it to dinner? We did get to Great Sage, but I still have half my dinner in the fridge as leftovers. Dinner was WONDERFUL! Can't wait to go back. Our friends are members of a DC Vegetarian Society, so they got us 10% off the bill (yay!)

Kalidurga
04-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Tam, did you have any luck finding the flowers? I haven't looked yet, but don't imagine they'll be too hard to track down with a Google search. They were pretty common there.

A quick peek at my Field Guide to the Mid-Atlantic showed me that I was way off-base with the guess that the white flowers are Trillium (http://www.midatlanticimages.com/rte50/day2_ohiobushflower1.html) <--That's one of my photos. I had totally forgotten that I took it a couple years ago.

It looks as if clustered blue ones are Virginia Bluebells (http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/bluebells.htm), or something related.

I couldn't find anything that looked like the white flowers. Let me know if you do.

HillSlugger
04-15-2007, 04:53 PM
I really missed riding with you yesterday. Here we are in the middle of April and for various reasons I've only logged 45.5 miles. Sigh... :(

7rider
04-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Tam,
I came to the same result on the blue flowers: Virginia bluebells
http://www.candocanal.org/articles/bot.html

But I, too am striking out on the white ones.
Here's the picture. I thought I loaded it earlier, but I guess not.
Anyone? Any ideas?
EDIT: Looks like the white ones are "Sleepy****s" (NOT my name!) or "Star of Bethlehem"
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H191.htm
Thoughts?

Oh...and it looks like the turtles (at least most of them...) were Eastern painted turtles - http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/eastern_painted_turtle.htm

Kalidurga
04-15-2007, 06:30 PM
EDIT: Looks like the white ones are "Sleepy****s" (NOT my name!) or "Star of Bethlehem"
http://2bnthewild.com/plants/H191.htm
Thoughts?

I dunno, Regina, the pics of Sleepy-d i c k on this page (http://pick5.pick.uga.edu/mp/20q?search=Ornithogalum+umbellatum) look very different than your photo. In your shot the stem is different, it looks as if there are more buds on the stem above the open blossom, and the flowers are more of a waxy, greenish-white color. This pic (http://www-us.flickr.com/photos/silverwood/132027360/in/set-72157594144322235/) of Star of Bethlehem, though, does look more like your photo. If they're the same thing, maybe we saw them at an earlier stage.

Nicole, considering that you're training for a triathlon and logging miles in three different sports, I'm sure your aggregate mileage is well up there. I'd love to get you out there for a relaxing "noodle" ride, though. 'Course, I also have to get my butt in gear for a road ride or two with you :rolleyes:

7rider
04-16-2007, 03:04 AM
Tam,

Sleepyd-i-c-k and Star of Bethlehem are the same thing: Latin name: Ornithogalum umbellatum. I was looking at the green cast on the back of the petals and the unopened buds as indicators. I think the flowers we saw were not fully open. But I don't have a good shot to show if there were multiple blossoms on one stalk, as the Kay Yatskievych's shot shows on the "Discover Life" site you linked. Drat! :mad:

And Nicole....I don't feel badly for you! You still have more total miles logged than I on BikeJournal and you are firmly placed in the top 15 for the 2500 in 2007 race. Your eyes are more important than miles logged. Once you heal up, we'll be out there logging tons o' miles on the road. It's supposed to be sunny and low 60's next weekend. Yay! Have we finally turned the corner??

HillSlugger
04-16-2007, 06:11 AM
And Nicole....I don't feel badly for you! You still have more total miles logged than I on BikeJournal and you are firmly placed in the top 15 for the 2500 in 2007 race. Your eyes are more important than miles logged. Once you heal up, we'll be out there logging tons o' miles on the road. It's supposed to be sunny and low 60's next weekend. Yay! Have we finally turned the corner??

Yeah, but I used to be #11 ! Besides, how am I supposed to stay ahead of you if I don't log those miles?!? ;) And, while my back was turned, Janice has slipped ahead of me. The fall is hard and fast :eek: :rolleyes:

Nicole, considering that you're training for a triathlon and logging miles in three different sports, I'm sure your aggregate mileage is well up there. I'd love to get you out there for a relaxing "noodle" ride, though. 'Course, I also have to get my butt in gear for a road ride or two with you :rolleyes:

I was really looking forward to a nice relaxing ride along the canal...

I'm about to lose another riding day: starting this week I'll be swimming at the pool on Thursday mornings instead of spinning in the basement. My swimming needs far more help than my riding.

I'm still thinking about the Bike to Work Day commute and doing a bike commute about once every other week.

The eye is doing fine and I got back on the trainer this morning. Hopefully I can get in a nice long outdoor ride next weekend!

divingbiker
04-16-2007, 07:54 AM
Slow and steady wins the race, one 14.2 mile commute at a time.

Oh, wait, this isn't a race. Right??? ;)

HillSlugger
04-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Slow and steady wins the race, one 14.2 mile commute at a time.

Oh, wait, this isn't a race. Right??? ;)

It is called the "2007 - 2500 Bike Race"! Of course, we're both a good 1200 miles behind the leader. :p

divingbiker
04-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Oh, I don't qualify for the 2500 mile race, since it's only for folks who haven't ridden over 2500 ever before and I rode 3500 miles last year. So you don't have to worry about where I stand in the rankings.

HillSlugger
04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
Oh, I don't qualify for the 2500 mile race, since it's only for folks who haven't ridden over 2500 ever before and I rode 3500 miles last year. So you don't have to worry about where I stand in the rankings.

How are you doing in the Commuting Century?

7rider
04-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Don't rub it in!!! ;)

Congrats on commuting today! It's quite breezy out there today.

Oh - to complete the thread hijack - Janice.....I'm searching for a new food for my bunnies, and discovered a brand called Piccolo which is carried by The Big Bad Woof (www.thebigbadwoof.com) in Takoma Park. Have you ever been there? Looks like an interesting place - my vet recommended it. What do you know about it?

divingbiker
04-16-2007, 10:55 AM
Oh, I didn't commute on my bike today. Didn't think I could handle 60 mph gusts on the way home, especially on the unfamiliar new bike. So I drove. I've done 43 commutes so far this year, Nicole.

Regina, the Big Bad Woof is great. Lots of all-natural foods (they're big on raw foods) and lots of beds, toys, etc. Expensive, but good stuff. It's a block from the Takoma Metro at the corner of Maple and Carroll Avenues, so you could probably get there at lunchtime on the Metro if you wanted. I pass it every day on my way home from work on my bike, so if you want me to pick up anything just let me know.