PDA

View Full Version : Bikes for tiny women

collinsc
06-16-2002, 10:01 PM
My mother is looking for a new bike (to replace a really old one) She is barely 100lbs and something like 5'2" Definately a petite, my 11 year old sister is almost as tall as her. She has basic female preportions, long legs and a shorter torso, but I do not know her actual measurements to really get into sizing just yet.

Being an averaged sized male rider, I'm sort of in the dark as what to look for in a bike for a woman. Who makes a good one? Looking for something comfortable all day, but definitely wants to be able to keep up.

Was looking at things like the Trek 2000, are these "WSD" bikes any good? or should we think something more along the lines of Terry?

any help is appreciated, thanks
Chad and his Mom

Juliette
06-17-2002, 12:47 PM
As a happy Terry customer, I would recommend at least looking into their bikes. I bought a road bike back in 1997 and liked it so much I bought a mtn bike in January.

I'm 5'1 and these bikes fit like they were made for me. I ride better because I feel more in control of the bike, instead riding at the mercy of the bike.

One thing I would really recommend is don't get an aluminum bike! When bikes are this small, aluminum gives a really rough ride. My 3 previous bikes (1 road, 2 mtn) were aluminum because one of my friends said that was the best thing to buy. Maybe for him, but after riding steel, I would only buy aluminum if it was full-suspension.

Dogmama
06-23-2002, 06:54 PM
Ditto on the aluminum bikes. I rode a Trek 1200 for 5 years until I had a steel bike built - it's a world of difference. I'm fairly small (5'5", 120 lbs) and those aluminum bikes just beat me up.

:rolleyes:

missliz
06-24-2002, 10:31 PM
One really cool thing about Terry is that you can call them up and actually talk to Georgina (if she's not out riding) and tell her how mom is built and she'll discuss what mom might like best. I'm a bigger taller woman than your mother but the Terry people are very good about talking to you about your needs, like 1x bike shorts or saddles that don't hurt. I know small women that love their Terrys. Absolutely go check them out. They have a great website terrybicycles.com.
Ultimately mom needs to test ride and go with the one she falls in love with. A good shop will make sure the fit is correct and not put her on anything biomechanicly inappropriate. Some big shiny bike stores will just sell you anything. Terry dealers at least probably care or they wouldn't bother with the line.
As for "wsd" bikes,I have a 96 GT Zaskar that was "all wrong for me", except that I rode it and it was magic. It's still magic. Picking a bike can have a certain intangible aspect. Plenty of women are completely happy on off the shelf "guy" bikes. The problem is not so much one of gender, perhaps, but that people come in an infinate variety of proportions. Wsd must fill a need for somebody or else it wouldn't be around but I'd judge the bike on how it fits mom, not on a label.
Have fun! Bike shopping is great!

Miss Liz

angriecow
10-14-2002, 05:58 AM
:S not a big fan of the wsd bike thing, but i am a more agro rider than a lot of other road girls. it also comes down to $$$ and some pimp the wsd a little higher than i feel necesary... so i cheat and get compact frames or triathalon frames... the tri frames are great because of the steeper seat angle... gets the power out good

talouse
10-14-2002, 01:30 PM
Hi ya!

I just purchased my first WSD bike. It's a Gary Fisher Tassajara GS and I bought it for commuting and light trail riding for the winter months as my road bike lies in wait for better weather and better lighting conditions. This bike is replacing my old MTB, a steel Schwinn Mesa.

First let me say that until I purchased this bike, every aluminum hardtail and road bike I tried got my teeth a'chattering! Just too rough a ride - I'm about 116lb so not a complete lightweight. But the GF is one smooth ride - and it's light. It's spec'd ok for the price. The fit is great. What I found with all my other "boys" MTB's is that I was stretched out and not much weight was over the rear wheel. Short steep climbs would produce a lot of spinning of the rear wheel. I'd have to sit down on the seat to get enough weight over the rear wheel, but climbing is awkward that way.

I don't know if it's the genesis design itself or the women's specific genesis design, but that rear wheel problem does not exist on the GF bike. I took it for a spin at the local trails yesterday and was able to climb steep hills in loose rocky conditions w/o a problem.

The other WSD touches of this bike (and all the other WSD bikes) are questionable - the saddle, yuck..too padded. The brake levers with "short" reach..they have the same reach as my Shimano LX levers (which I will be swapping) and the crank length is 170mm which is the same as my road bike so I'm used to that. The shock is a Manitou DIVA - yes a lady's shock. I'm not quite sure it matters though because this is not a free ride or downhiller bike. The shock should prove sufficient for the application.

So overall, the bike fits nicely, better than any of the small mens MTB's that I've had, but the "extras" seem inconsequential.

singlespeeder
10-30-2002, 05:18 PM
I am a small to mid size rider and have had great luck with Cannondale frames. Their frames are sized in small, medium...
After a very bad experience with a WSD frame, I recommend careful consideration prior to purchase.

Unlike some of the others, I have been very happy with Aluminum (road and moutain). Steel does feel nice, but a really nice small, light Aluminum frame can be just as agreeable.

Trek420
10-31-2002, 03:16 PM
Hi

I'm 5'1", about your Mom's hight. Terry could be a good choice, I would test ride many bikes first. I ride a "guys" bike, a TREK420 (hence the name) but over time I've given it shorter crank arms and women specific handelbars. A vast improvement.

Steel is our ride of choice in our home, 2 steel road bikes and we love them both. The aluminum frame sits on the Cycleops and is rarely ridden. I agree unless your Mom plans to ride Olympic Track pursuit you can't go wrong with a good steel frame!

DR

pennys
10-31-2002, 03:34 PM
I never liked any of the WSD mountain bikes, a regular Kona fits just fine. Kona makes frames down to 13" in size, that may be a line to look at but I don't know if they make anything other than true mountain bikes.

As for Cannondales, be careful as they are built out off all sorts of proprietary parts and technology, you can't up grade or switch out parts very easily ( shops need specail cannoondale tools)

penny

stella
10-31-2002, 04:57 PM
Ditto on the STAy AWAy from aluminum frames, even with a carbon fork if your mom is looking for a road bike. I am on the "tall side of short" and am in the process of buying a steal framed bike (a colnago). I heard great things from Terry riders-they love the ride of their bikes. Also, Bianchi makes a smaller framed road bike that uses 650cc wheels on both front and back and it is a steel frame with drop handle bars with reach developed for women.
If your mom doesn't want a road bike but a mtn bike type frame, steel framed. Like penny said: Kona makes a great frame. My mtn bike is a Kona, steel frame.
The best thing is for your mom to test ride as much as she needs to. A good bike shop will spend as much time as she wants/needs to feel comfortable.
Keep us posted on how it goes for your mom!

stella