PDA

View Full Version : Cherry of a Ride

Wahine
04-03-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey everyone, I just learned about this ride from the calendar section.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=69&day=2007-4-22&c=1

It sounds like fun. I've ridden many of the roads though I have not done the organized ride. They have several different ride lengths: 30, 50, 60, 80 and 100 miles.

I'm planning on going. I haven't decided if I'll do the 80 or 100 yet. There's a lot of climbing so I think the 100 might be too much.

I can send route profiles that the race organizer provided via PM if anyone is interested.

Wahine
04-03-2007, 08:14 PM
I got this info from one of the race organizers. All of the rides have some climbing and the 100 miler looks tough.

I hope some other TEers will think about coming out for this.

Here is the general information:Cherry of a Ride 2007

RIDE DISTANCE(MILES) ASCENT(FT)

30 28.8 870

50 48.3 2,221

60 61.0 4,069

80 80.83 5,250

100 100.1 7,536

teigyr
04-03-2007, 09:07 PM
I wish we could go!!! I'm in Seattle and work Saturday night until 8:30pm. It's in the back of my mind, however. It'd be a good training ride if nothing else! Besides, sometimes these rides have THE best food...

DarcyInOregon
04-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I am already signed up for two rides this month, one on the 14th and one on the 29th. It looks like a good event, though.

Darcy

TsPoet
04-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Did this last year, will do again this year, probably.
It is put on by some very enthusiastic non-cyclists - they are a blast. The dried cherries they provide are wonderful. The 48 mile route that I did last year was mostly easy.
If anyone is interested, the 30-48 mile routes can be made easier than they are plotted out to be - if they are the same as last year. There is a point in that route that goes up and over a hill. The return comes down a gradual road back to meet up with the climb - so just stay right and avoid the climb if you want.
This was one very fun ride, and I'm looking forward to it this year.
The scenery is pretty good, for this side of the state.

TsPoet
04-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I think Wahine and I are going to try and meet up before this ride, pre-registration needs to be mailed by this Friday. I imagine they'll let people register the day of, as well.
So, any other takers? It would be great to meet up with some folks!

Xrayted
04-09-2007, 01:48 PM
This one sounds good. Where are y'all meeting? We should be able to do this one. :D

TsPoet
04-09-2007, 07:28 PM
Hopefully Wahine will come up with a place to meet. We could just meet in the school parking lot, or get a quick breakfast before the ride somewhere.
I'll PM her (owe her one anyway).

Wahine
04-09-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm not sure of the venue. I'll try to check it out this weekend and come up with a place to meet. TS, you said that we could meet in the school parking lot? If that's an obvious spot, it works for me.

X - would you in Kit be coming in the night before. If so I can make some suggestions on places to stay in Hood River. I think you'd enjoy the atmosphere there better than The Dalles. Or we culd link up in Hood River the night before for dinner or something and then you could continue on to The Dalles that night. Hood River is an hour away from Portland, more or less and The Dalles is another 30 min east of Hood River.

TS - you could come for dinner the night before too. It's a little more driving for you tho.

TsPoet
04-10-2007, 07:53 AM
I'm not sure of the venue. I'll try to check it out this weekend and come up with a place to meet. TS, you said that we could meet in the school parking lot? If that's an obvious spot, it works for me.

Based on last year, the ride starts in the school parking lot, it's a small school. It's still a small ride, so I think we could find each other. The registration was in the school gym as well as some bagels and munchies to get you started.
I'll be easy to spot - a chubby 40 yo woman with messy hair on a black recumbent with a yellow bag on the back of the seat. I'll probably drive my big, gas guzzling, red Ford Explorer Sport Trak.

Thanks for the dinner invite, but I'll probably just get up at 0-dark-30 and drive in Sunday morning. I have other commitments for Saturday that will send me East.

Wahine
04-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Sounds good to me. We'll have to pick a time. I'm still toying with doing the 100. So I'd like to start early. My DH is comng and I think he'll do the 48. The 48 is the starting route for the 80 and 100, so we'll ride that much together at least.

I'm also easy to spot. Bright, and I mean Bright, green Specialized Allez with tri bars. Handsome, tall lean older man with a black cherry colored Cervelo at my side. Don't let the fancy bikes fool you. We'll probably avg 13 mph for the 48. DH is still getting used to riding hills and hasn't had much time on the bike. I doubt that I'll do much better than that on the second half of the ride, seeing as I haven't riden anything longer than 56 this year so far, and a lot of that was on the trainer.

Xrayted
04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Hmmm, that sounds like a good idea Wahine. If you can give me some ideas on where to stay, I'll check it out today. Dinner would be great. Bfast even better. We'll see as it gets closer. Either way, we all definitely have to meet up. We will probably do the 50 mile route this time. It's still early in the season and someone will still be getting used to clipless, ... :rolleyes: ;) Although, she will probably leave me sitting still all over the place. :D
Gotta go print off the entrance forms... hope to see y'all soon!

Wahine
04-10-2007, 03:59 PM
This is my favorite place in town. DH and I used to stay here quite a bit when we would come down for holidays. They have great bfast and meals at the restaurant in the hotel, but they are also right in the thick of things downtown. Walking distance to everything you could want except a grocery store. All the best restaurants are within 6 blocks of the place. Great atmosphere too.

http://www.hoodriverhotel.com/

Other options....

also downtown:

http://www.oakstreethotel.com/

on the waterfront:

http://www.hoodriverinn.com/

If you need more recs let me know. If my house was done I'd be happy to have you two at my place. But alas... the construction continues.

TsPoet
04-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Wahine and X,
I tried to send you both PMs, but one bounced back and I can't tell which.
What time do you want to meet? I'm hoping after 7 am is still early, as it's a 2 hr drive for us. I may have a friend tag along.

ariadne.at.charter.dot.net

Xrayted
04-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Sorry ladies. My internet has been going nuts at home and I finally was able to get back on today. That was me it bounced on. I've dropped my former internet provider and it's created havoc because they don't allow you to keep your email addy. Since I couldn't get online, I couldn't update my profile on TE. It's good to go now. We'd love to meet you for b-fast. We will probably stay over night at a hotel Friday but we will be getting there rather late for dinner. I'll PM our cell #'s to you both so it's easier to hookup. Thanks.

See ya soon.

Xrayted
04-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Wahine/TsP - I was thinking the ride was on Sat originally. So, we will now get a room for Sat instead and be able to hang out in the area all day like a couple of tourists. Lets update the plans... are we doing dinner Sat night or b-fast Sun morning or what?
Anything we should try to do or see on Sat?

TsPoet
04-20-2007, 01:19 PM
I hope you are staying in Hood River, nicer, IMHO, than The Dalles. I don't know much about it, though, I'm going to drive in Sunday morning.
Right now, based on PMs, I'm going to leave my place 5:30 am, and should get there before 8 am. I'll look for you guys in the parkinglot and/or near the registration desk!
Also, I may have a bent riding friend with me as well, so look for a man and a woman riding bents and that may be us.

See you.

Wahine
04-20-2007, 01:24 PM
I would like to hook up for dinner on Saturday or earlier for hang out time if you like. I'll also meet up with everyone at 7:50 as mentioned in my PM that many did not receive, I expect. I'm not good for b-fast, don't like to get up early enough to do anything besides make myself some Oatmeal.

So call me when you two rascals roll into town on Saturday and we'll do something fun. I'll try to get my run done in the AM then I'll have the afternoon to play.:D :D