PDA

View Full Version : numbness

mae3929
07-12-2004, 07:06 AM
I just started riding a road bike and have a terrific women's saddle that's quite comfortable. However, my crotch is going numb a couple of minutes into my ride, a problem that does not resolve for several hours. Any advice?

Thanks!

fishie
07-12-2004, 07:57 AM
Is your saddle really soft and cushy? Sometimes a soft and cushy saddle allows your body to "sink in" a little too much, putting pressure on areas we don't want pressure. A seat that is more firm allows the "sit bones" to support our weight, and keeping our tender areas from too much pressure. I hope this helps. I ride with a Brooks leather saddle with springs, and it's very, very comfortable. People either swear by the stiffer saddles, or hate them, but I've found they mold to your body and it's like sitting on something that was made just for you (after a few hundred mile break in period that is totally worth it!) Happy riding!

jobob
07-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Awright, another Brooks rider! ( High Five! :D )

Mae, you might want to try to tilt the front of the saddle downward just a little bit and see if that helps. (I had to do that with my Brooks saddle, even)

But don't overdo it, a little change in angle can make a big difference. If you tilt the front downward too far you might end up putting too much weight on your hands/forearms/shoulders.

HTH, - Jo.

luv2ride
07-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi...I am new to this forum, and so very glad to have other women to discuss riding topics with. I love teamestrogen.com! I have been riding about a year. I have been through saddle sores and numbness in private areas and in arms also. I finally took time to head to my favorite bike shop and was re-fitted. The front of my seat was tilted too far down. As soon as he adjusted it I felt a huge difference in the way I sit on the seat. I will let you know after the next few weeks but so far it is great. Its a serfas wddvado, woman specific seat with cut out. It's a little cushy but not too much.

Baby powder is working! Thanks so much for that info!

mae3929
07-14-2004, 05:39 AM
Thank you! As a new rider , and one who doesn't know any other female riders, I really appreciate the advice. The saddle I have is very firm, and pretty narrow. It's really comfortable on my sit bones. I'm going to try tilting it down just a little bit and see if that takes off some of the pressure. Thanks again! It's great to know about this resource.

Mae

emily_in_nc
07-14-2004, 09:07 AM
Jill,

I hope you are using Baby Cornstarch rather than Baby Powder, and if so, please change. They have found a connection between using baby powder in the genital area and ovarian cancer. Be careful!

Emily

kimba
07-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Sometimes your saddle may be the right height and tilt- but it may be too far back or forward on the seat bracket. That's what was wrong with mine- I only had to move it forward a bit, and now the girly bits are directly over the cutout when I ride, alleviating the pressure!

Hope that helps!

Kimba

Suzinn
07-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum.... It's nice to see so many women getting into this sport. It clears the head!

I have also had a numbness problem. Buying gel shorts and tilting the seat really helps. I would suggest adding a stem riser to raise up the handle bars. (If you are too high on the seat it can cause too much downward tilt and pressure.) And yes! use a womens seat! It is 110% better! We are built different (and better) then men.

And Yes! Emily in NC you are correct about baby powder... always use corn starch, even for infants.

Good luck! and keep ridin'

spazzdog
08-01-2004, 11:12 AM
On the seat thing: involuntary :D friction burn in my nether region is something I'd rather never experience again. Back in 2000 I went thru 3 seats before I found one suitable for long distance comfort. It is the Koobi. I got there entry level saddle ($69 then) and was oh so happy!. You can only get them online (I think) at koobi.com.

I'm doing ok on the stock racing saddle that came on my new Allez Comp, but at the first sign of smoke :o , on goes the Koobi!

maggiemay
08-09-2004, 06:48 PM
RE: Numbness,
I had the same problem. I tried many saddles, adjusting the height of the seat, changing the stem, even buying an adjustable stem. Nothing worked until I bought a new bicycle and got a caring, knowledgable salesmen who spent a long time ensuring a good fit. I also bought awomens specific bicycle.
What a difference, not only did I resolve the problemof genital numbness, which can cause long term complications, but my nech and shoulders don't hurt on long rides.
I recommend going back to the shop and having them refit you on your current bke and if thatdoes not work, it is worth investing in a new one.
God Luck!
Maggie