PDA

View Full Version : Another Newbie.....

Hill Slug
07-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Greetings All.....I've been lurking for a few months and decided to finally join in. I participated in this year's Team in Training in Sacramento. I hadn't been on the bike for a REALLY long time and decided to do something for a great cause and learn about cycling in a friendly environment. Started in January on a Specialized Hardrock mountain bike. Then in late March used my tax refund to purchase a Specialized Sequoia Comp. I learned alot from the coaches and mentors, and had a great time. So now that the ride is done, I'm still riding! I joined a local club, Sacramento Bike Hikers, which is rookie-friendly. I'm still learning, and I'm not a speedster. I like to enjoy the scenery as well.

I have gotten alot of great info from this forum and appreciate everyone's insight. Thanks for being here!!!

A group of my TNT friends and I will be riding in the Healdsburg Harvest Century this coming weekend, that's in Northern California Santa Rosa/Wine Country area. Anyone else going??? It'll be my first time there, but I heard it's really pretty and they have great food.....what else could you ask for?!?!

Thanks again everyone!!
nanc

jobob
07-11-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi Nanc, and welcome!

What ride did you do for TnT?

Don't forget to mark April 2 on your calendar for next year, that's the date for the Cinderella Classic. Lots of us from N. Cal took part in it this year and I assume we'll all be back for next years.

Just do a search w. the word Cinderella if you don't know what I'm talking about :)

Good luck in Healdsberg, are you doing a full century? I haven't come even close to one, yet.

- Jo

Trek420
07-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi Slug, welcome to the board, you'll meet a lot of great cyclists here.

A word about the Cinderella, the ride is limited to a few riders (I think it's still over 1000) but it sells out quickly. Registration opened up this year I think in February and sold out in a snap. Great ride, don't wait till the last minute.

snapdragen
07-11-2004, 06:50 PM
The Healdsburg ride is a beautiful one, I did it last year. Don't have the legs for it this year tho :mad: . Take your time and enjoy the scenery (sp?), you'll go through all kinds of vineyards, past winerys etc. And yes, the food was good - I remember pizza and ice cream..........

Hill Slug
07-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks Women!!!

Jo, we did America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride (AMBBR) up at Lake Tahoe - 3,500 riders. And we had perfect weather for it in early June. There were 2 options, 72 miles around Tahoe, and 100 miles around Tahoe plus a loop to Truckee and back. I ended up doing the 72 because I was a little slower and didn't want to be out on the course too late. And the thinner air did get to me on the Spooner Summit climb.....I had to SAG 4 miles to the top. But otherwise it was a good first effort for me.

The Harvest Century has 3 rides, 23, 37, and 60, so it's a metric century. We'll probably do the 60. I don't know if it's closed yet or not. Check it out at www.healdsburg.org .

I heard about the Cinderella last year when I first started and wasn't quite ready to do that one. I'm on their mailing list, so I'll be able to get to it next year.

Also, in case anyone is interested, there's another Tahoe ride called Tour de Tahoe in September. Info can be obtained at www.bikethewest.com. They are the same folks that put on the AMBBR. Excellent support staff and food. The CHP and Nevada State Troopers were great keeping the traffic under control. The road around Tahoe doesn't have much of a shoulder and there are alot of tourists.....

Thanks!
nanc

Adventure Girl
07-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the board, Slug! I love your user name. I assume you know about these -- http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=56
It could be a possible avatar for you.

Hill Slug
07-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Adventure Girl
Welcome to the board, Slug! I love your user name. I assume you know about these -- http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=56
It could be a possible avatar for you.

Yup.....I love that jersey.....Can't afford it right now, but I do have the socks! I am playing with the photo to get a decent avatar....:D