PDA

View Full Version : need suggestions on commuting

stella
04-03-2007, 08:52 AM
I used to commute to my old job where I had an office to store my suits and dress clothes plus a shower to get all clean and pretty. The last 3 years I've been a full-time student i.e.: not wearing suits all that often plus I had access to lockers and showers at the school gym.

Now the updated facts and issue: I will be interning for a judge 1 day per week. The court house is close to home but I will not have shower access like I did in the past. Nor will I have an office to store my suit in.

so, has anyone commuted by bike in a suit? if so, I need tips--I'll be working in a courtroom or in the law library (either way: got to wear a suit). I was thinking of riding in at a very non-sweat/slow pace by bike. for the ride home: put the suit in messenger bag and go at my normal pace. anyone done this before?

any suggestions? thoughts?

mimitabby
04-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Stella, i don't wear a suit, but i do exactly what you are planning. I ride at an easy pace (and conveniently) downhill TO work
Going home i have to go back up the hill so i change my clothes. In the summer the difference is even more stark, it's cold in the morning and hot in the afternoon. (and the cold keeps me from getting REAL sweaty too)

and don't worry about it. People get used to athletic types... we sweat.
Sometimes our hair isn't perfect.. they really don't care.

stella
04-03-2007, 10:36 AM
mimitabby,

thanks for the encouragement! this Friday will be my first time commuting "suit style."

We'll see how the suit jacket holds up in a mess bag. :)

Offthegrid
04-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Depending how far it is, I probably wouldn't put the suit in a messenger bag just to avoid wrinkles. Also, you can always change your undershirt when you get there. Just another idea. Let us know how it goes!

Grog
04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
If you roll up the suit jacket and perhaps even wrap it in tissue paper I'm sure it will be fine (as long as you don't squish it in the bag with tons of other stuff).

Enjoy!

Trek420
04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
I'd look into travel clothes, companies like Tilley and LL Bean make suits designed for travel that resist wrinkle and look just plain good :)

I've seen folks roll up on a bike and break out the suit from the bag and wham, look great in a suit. Unfortunately the time I saw that demo'd was at my cousin's fiance's memorial so I did not say "Hey, how'd you store that?" but it can be done.

Or drive to work, bring a week or so's work clothes and pick up bike clothes there, leisurely bike ride....only drive with the laundry.

stella
04-03-2007, 04:18 PM
I will try the tissue and roll my suit in that to prevent wrinkling.

the commute is about 2 -- 2 1/2 miles from my home to the courthouse. I'll be doing this on Fridays only.

Hmmm....looks like I will asking for $$ for graduation to purchase a few "travel suits." :)

mountainchick
04-03-2007, 06:07 PM
http://contourwear.com/

I know that its not a suit, but great clothes for active women. Maybe you could use one of their shirts underneath..?? :)

crumpincommuter
04-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I used to commute to my old job where I had an office to store my suits and dress clothes plus a shower to get all clean and pretty. The last 3 years I've been a full-time student i.e.: not wearing suits all that often plus I had access to lockers and showers at the school gym.

Now the updated facts and issue: I will be interning for a judge 1 day per week. The court house is close to home but I will not have shower access like I did in the past. Nor will I have an office to store my suit in.

so, has anyone commuted by bike in a suit? if so, I need tips--I'll be working in a courtroom or in the law library (either way: got to wear a suit). I was thinking of riding in at a very non-sweat/slow pace by bike. for the ride home: put the suit in messenger bag and go at my normal pace. anyone done this before?

any suggestions? thoughts?

Now I bring a week's worth of clothes into the office on Monday; but until recently used the "rolling" method and it worked out terrific. 3 Season wool (trousers/skirts suit jackets) transport in a messager bag beautifully-using the rolling method. Another key is to keep 1 pr of generic black/ 1 pr generic brown dress shoes.

Showerless (?) drugstores carry something called Comfort Bath Ultra-Thick Washcloths.

pll
04-04-2007, 05:10 PM
Just in case, I saw a bike "suiter" posted somewhere (maybe in this forum) some time ago: http://www.twowheelgear.com/

roguedog
04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
thanks for the link pll.. interesting..

stella
04-05-2007, 05:57 AM
crumpincommuter: thanks for the info! I will try the "roll" method combined with the tissue. most of my suits are three season wool.

pll: good link, I will check that out.

stella
04-05-2007, 08:44 AM
well, it looks like tomorrow the court's are closed but the law library isn't so I will be able to dress casually since I will be in the library researching!

hopefully, the snow will be melted :)

carpaltunnel
04-21-2007, 07:20 PM
Maybe I'm too late with this but here goes:
I haven't transported on a bike, but just packing for my DH's trips, rolling garmets in a dry cleaner bag instead of tissue works well. The bag is a little more sturdy and can be reused.

Good luck on your commute, I'm sure you'll be fine.

stella
04-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Maybe I'm too late with this but here goes:
I haven't transported on a bike, but just packing for my DH's trips, rolling garmets in a dry cleaner bag instead of tissue works well. The bag is a little more sturdy and can be reused.

Good luck on your commute, I'm sure you'll be fine.

it's never too late for another suggestion! thanks!

the commute is working out well, thanks to folks suggestions here. riding my bike in suit pants and cycling shoes has been, well, different...but...I'm riding :)

thanks, everyone for your help on this!