PDA

View Full Version : Spin Bike at Home?

Derf
04-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Seriously considering buying a spin bike for home. I have a trainer (actually we have two), but I find the spin bikes at the gym to be so much more quiet and smooth. The bikes I always use at the gym are Spinner NXT bikes. The other bike I'm looking at is the LeMond Revmaster. Any thoughts on which is "better?"

Raindrop
04-03-2007, 06:34 PM
My current favorite indoor bike is the Keiser M3. It works without the 38 - 42lb. flywheel pulling your legs around, instead using magnetic resistance so you have to supply the power. Also, you can get it with a computer so you'll know your power output.

I've been teaching this format for over a decade and this is the most excited I've gotten over a bike that doesn't actually go anywhere.

Check out their site: http://www.keiser.com/m3/index.html

Derf
04-04-2007, 09:13 AM
My current favorite indoor bike is the Keiser M3. It works without the 38 - 42lb. flywheel pulling your legs around, instead using magnetic resistance so you have to supply the power. Also, you can get it with a computer so you'll know your power output.

I've been teaching this format for over a decade and this is the most excited I've gotten over a bike that doesn't actually go anywhere.

Check out their site: http://www.keiser.com/m3/index.html

Cool. Thank you. How do you adjust the resistance? Is there a knob?

RoadRaven
04-05-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes, we bought a spin bike for our place.

Like you, we found the indoor trainer set-up very noisy (the only plausible place indoors is in the living room/area)
Plus, having an indoor trainer meant alot of bike-swapping as there is a big discrepancy in height/size between the cyclists in this house (5'10" - 6'4").

So having the spin bike has solved both problems. It is a heckuva lot quieter... whoever is on the spin bike (unless they are doing high cadence work) does not interfere with tv or stereo and can hear what is going on too.

It does have a knob to adjust resistence. It has its own little comp on it that does speed, distance, heart rate etc, but we have an extra one on there set up to the pedals so we can measure cadence.

I do cadence training on it (great, cause its just like a fixed gear bike of course), as well as "aerobic time trials" and sometimes standing. Mostly it gets used by all of us to warm up or cool down, or do a recovery ride.

We bought it from torpedo7.co.nz
Looking at it now, it has no brand name on it, so I can't remember the make/model etc - but its pretty generic... I assume like the ones you have been using at the gym.

In my opinion, and I think the rest of the family here that uses it, it is a much better option than having a trainer indoors.

knapplaura
04-06-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a LeMond RevMaster. I really like it. I use it for Spinervals video workouts. I bought it from Excel Sports (over the internet). Definitely put on your own pedals though.

It is better than worrying about wearing out your tires on a trainer! I may put PowerCranks on this winter to try something different.

good luck!
Laura

teigyr
04-07-2007, 05:55 PM
If anyone knows of one of these bikes on sale, please post it! I've been pricing them out and it looks like it'll be $1,000+ investment. I go to spin class on some days but it would be SO nice to have this at home, especially with a video or computer program. Our exercise room has a TV/DVD/Stereo so it'd be perfect. I like spin classes but they really take up so much time. We have to sign up almost an hour before to ensure a spot plus it's about 20 minutes each way to get to the gym. Not to mention on a work day when I'm gone 12+ hours, it would be easier to get a workout in.

While DH has agreed that we need a form of cycling for in the house and he knows we need something good, something on SALE would really seal it!

snapdragen
04-07-2007, 06:45 PM
teigyr - I got my spin bike off ebay for about $300. It's used, the guy was selling of a group of bikes that had been retired from a gym. It was refurbished, and aside from some cosmetic junk - works great! Keep an eye on Ebay!

teigyr
04-07-2007, 07:11 PM
Excellent. I looked for the Keiser one and there was one but it was pick-up only in Florida. Alas. No Lemond that I could see. I did see quite a few Star Tracs. Is there any opinion on those? One of the gyms I go to uses them but I couldn't really say if I liked it one way or the other.

aicabsolut
04-07-2007, 09:38 PM
My gym has the Lemond. SO uncomfortable.

I prefer the Johnny G spinners.

The CycleOps one looks really cool, but I haven't tried it.

If I were to buy one, I'd test out the CycleOps, but I'd start out leaning towards the Spinner. Not cheap, though. I might be better off buying a beater road bike and having it live on the trainer.

Raindrop
04-08-2007, 08:04 PM
The Keiser M3 uses an electro-magnetic resistance system instead of a 38lb - 42lb flywheel, so the ride is a lot smoother and yes in hasa resistance lever that you can easily reach with your thumb from the handlebars.

I also teach on both the lemonds and Star Trac, and both are fine if they're properly maintained, but if you want to get an indoor bike that is more like riding outdoors, I've found the new Keiser M3 to be the one.

(I sound like a salesperson...I wonder if I could get a discount for my positive postings???):)

Jenn
04-11-2007, 08:55 AM
I know I've posted this before, but my MIL was given a LeMond Revmaster from a woman who's husband left her. Since my MIL is not an active type she gave it to us, we were SHOCKED once we saw how much they cost. I absolutely LOVE it. I put on my downloaded classes I have on my IPOD and it's great. I just need to get the computer so I can keep track of the speed and distance.

RoadRaven
04-11-2007, 10:28 AM
Your bike shouldn't cost you $US1000!!!

Ours was $NZ690 + $NZ50 freight, brand new!

traveller_62
04-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I have a Schwinn spin bike and use it as well as a standard trainer all winter long.....we are still having winter here in Maine by the way, more snow predicted for tomorrow...ack.:( But I digress.....

I purchased my spin bike brand new for about $500 from a local bike shop because it was "last year's model". I love it as a training tool...and as others have pointed out it is not nearly as noisy as working out on a trainer.

If you can, try out the spin bike model you would like to purchase before you actually place the order. I really don't like the Lemond RevMaster for example because it is belt driven and I don't like the feel of the belt at high cadence or high resistance. On the other hand the RevMaster has many more ways to adjust the fit of the bike compared to my Schwinn and that may be more important to you.

-traveller

Jenn
04-21-2007, 04:47 PM
I know my LeMond Revmaster has kicked my butt and DH"s and the tension and cadence is all in what you want. I like it but it's matter of opinion.

uforgot
05-02-2007, 04:09 AM
I've never been spinning, so I don't know much about it, but I saw this on craigslist. I did a search and it looks like Schwinn spin bikes that list for over $1000. I'm not interested in it myself, but just in case someone in the St. Louis area is interested! It doesn't seem like I've ever seen a spin bike advertised.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/bik/322577233.html

marie
10-26-2011, 06:49 AM
I am going away and hate to leave my sinner bike. Its in great condition and boy did I have a work out on it. I gave giving it away for $350.oo +s/h. If you are interested talk to me:)

marie
10-26-2011, 06:51 AM
Sorry I am giving it away for $

Dogmama
10-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I've taught on both the Johnny G spinners & the Lemond bikes and I much prefer the spinners. The Lemond just didn't feel like the road. It's a lot more adjustable though, if that's important to you.

I'm definitely checking out the Keiser though. That sounds cool.

Catrin
10-30-2011, 03:52 PM
I've taught on both the Johnny G spinners & the Lemond bikes and I much prefer the spinners. The Lemond just didn't feel like the road. It's a lot more adjustable though, if that's important to you.

I'm definitely checking out the Keiser though. That sounds cool.

At my club we have both Spinners and Lemond bikes for class, far more of the Lemonds...I strongly dislike them. The Spinner has a much heavier flywheel and just feels closer to the road, even if I can't coast :) If I were going to purchase a spinning bike for home I would likely try to find one...

indysteel
10-30-2011, 04:36 PM
We have Keiser spin bikes at my now former gym. They're smooth for sure, but they're not as adjustable as other brands. I always felt too stretched out on it. Plus, they had built-in power meters on them. Now, I'm sure some really like this, but I found it both distracting and discouraging. There were always people in class yaking about how much power they could generate. It was hard to tune it out. I have a spin bike at home that's more along the line of a Johnny G spinner. I really like it.

Catrin
10-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Indysteel, I am so glad the spinning bike has worked out for you! I am also quite happy with how my Gunnar feels on my new trainer - it is just as solid and stable as my spinning bike at the club and THAT was a surprise! I will put it off as long as I can, but I am happy that I've something that feels good to me. It would be nice if I could coast on the fluid trainer, but frankly, I am so used to not being able to do that in spinning class that it isn't a problem to me.