PDA

View Full Version : My trip to the dark side...

Kimmyt
04-01-2007, 06:23 PM
:)

(Not sure if this should go in here or Adventure Stories, but I'll put it here anyway)

Today I went mountain biking. it's not my first time. But it was the first time I was actually on a 'real mountain bike'.

A few years ago I dabbled in Mountain biking with a guy I was dating at the time, on the trails in Wissahickon park. I rode my little comfort bike/trail bike from when I was growing up. It was 1) much too small for me and 2) probably bought at some store like Walmart or Target and so not a quality piece of equipment.

I rode it to pieces. Literally. The seat came loose one day and would slide up and down, tilting fore and aft randomly (it could not be tightened, screw was stripped or something). Then the handlebars started shifting and coming off. I knew it was over then. I rode that bike harder than it had ever been intended.

I don't remember much about mountain biking back then, other than that I had to push my bike up alot of hills, and the downhills were scary.

Today I decided to join some friends that were going to a park a short distance from where I live, Marsh Creek. They made the ride sound more entry level, and instead of repeating the same mistake twice and taking (another) crappy trial bike that I had gotten for free on a ride it wasn't intended for, I decided to rent a mountain bike.

For a minor fee, I got an entry level mountain bike (http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1018600&f=18) to play with for the day.

The day was overcast and chilly, 50 degree temps with a call of thunder-showers later in the day. We were starting the ride at 4 and planned to ride until 6 or 6:30 I suppose.

The first thing I noticed when I got on the bike was the different feel. It felt heavier, obviously, than my road bike. But it felt alive, whereas my crappy hunk o' steel trail bike felt like dead weight. This thing moved with me. Bounced when I suddenly weighted the pedals. Yes, it was a hardtail and so didn't much dampen the shock of rocks and sticks, but there were front shocks which was a feeling I had never experienced on a bike.

The first few moments of the ride were an eye opener. I felt like I was clipped in, forgetting that I was on platforms and my feet would frequently cut loose of the pedals (a problem I was having all night). I would shift and they would pop off. I would hit a rock or a stump and they would pop off and I would curse and try to get them back on in the right position. Even though I was by no means a skilled mtb'er, I longed for my clipless pedals and their feeling of security, even if it meant that when I lost balance and fell, I'd be attached to the bike (half the time I couldn't react fast enough to get untangled, anyway..)

I even still tended to go through the 'unclipping' motion when I would stop. It's amazing how you get so used to having your feet attached to a huge piece of metal!

Anyway, the first climb was hard. It was long, and dirt studded with rocks. We have alot of rocks in Pennsylvania. Rocks, thorn bushes, and mud. Lots and lots of mud. The name of the park kinda suggested that anyway.

But the first climb was hell. I was heaving and panting up it, my eyes almost crossing with the effort. I was probably in the wrong gear. I didn't care, just wanted to get to the top. Then it was a short downhill followed by another rocky, root-lined climb. It was like my own particular version of hell. One long uphill followed by a short downhill, then another steep uphill that I couldn't get any momentum on (mostly because I couldn't steer my way between trees and rocks and roots!)

I was frustrated, but it was fun! Don't get me wrong.

i sucked. I mean, I majorly sucked. I fell over roots, rocks, pebbles, mud puddles. Once my left pedal hit a steep grassy hill and I toppled over onto the hill. Luckily it was soft and there were no rocks to greet my thigh as I fell. Once I was crossing a rickety wood bridge over some mud and made the mistake of looking down at the mud. I promptly toppled over into it. I had to push my bike up at least three hills (well, half of each of those hills) but sometimes only because I lost my momentum coming up on one of the other slower riders in the group and had to dismount or fall.

I began to remember the technique of weight-shifting, the sitting back on the saddle (my favorite part, once I remembered it) for a downhill section, a quick front-weighting to get over a small obstacle. The pulling and pushing on the handlebars to maneuver around things. The shifting was... well, a little better I guess.

I still couldn't figure out the steering thing. it's like skiing, and why I'm not so good at tree-skiing. I look at my obstacles. I say, 'oh man look at that rock, I should go around that!' but because my eyes are on the rock, I go right into the rock. i couldn't get the habit of keeping my eyes ahead of me on the trail, on my path or line, and not on the things I had to maneuver around at my feet.

Also, I would hit roots or tree branches on the ground, manage to get my front tire over them, but then would get my pedal caught on it, bringing me to a stop.

On the ride back it started to rain. One of the cables on my bike stretched out alot (probably because whenever I would try and get off my bike my foot would catch it and stretch it out) so the bike wouldn't get out of the small ring up front. It rained harder, and we churned up gravel hills to the car. Finally got to the car, ended the ride with a quick tire-rinse in the lake, and headed off to dinner.

It was a good night, in general, and perhaps I'll go mountain biking some more in the future, but I don't know if it'll become my main thing!

I may have some pictures in the future, but don't have them on hand yet.

K.

sarahlou
04-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I started out on a road bike- commuting then triathalons and generally loving speed. Then my dh got me a mt. bike and I hardly ride the road anymore. I love riding without cars and having to use my bike and body together to get up & down hills or around/over obstacles. Speed is good and it is hard to beat going fast whilst having to navigate the trail. We just came back from a great mt. biking trip in San Diego. If there are any road riders in S.D. who want to try mt. biking, we found some great spots. I still use the road bike for training during the winter and will hopefully pull it out this summer. A key part of mt. biking is having a bike that works well (shifts easily and brakes swiftly) beg, borrow or steal the best bike you can and give it another go!:)

LBTC
04-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Hi, Kimmy!

When I read your post the first thing that struck me is how well you understand what was going wrong on the bike for you. Many new mountain bikers (myself included) do not at first understand what things are causing them problems...why they are falling, etc....but you *do* know what the issues are, so we know that you'll be able to overcome all of them, probably in short order.

I think you really will enjoy the challenge of mountain biking....the learning when to shift, the moving your weight around (which you've already tried), the finding the best line through rocks and roots, etc... But you'll really love being one with the bike - the way the bike will be an extension of you as you discover the woods and the wild parts near your home. :p

Next time find a better bike that fits you even better and you'll see how much fun you can have! Oh, and just put your regular pedals on the bike. It only takes a moment to swap the pedals between bikes, and it sounds like you'd feel more comfortable that way.

Ride on, Kimmy! Welcome to the dark side!

Hugs & Butterflies,
~T~

rocknrollgirl
04-02-2007, 01:29 AM
KIMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't quit until you let me take you. I think you and I are about the same size by your pictures. You can ride Bob...my bike, he is great, full suspension, clipless pedals. I know just the place to take you....

We will go when it is dry.....

ok we will chat....

Ruth

Brandi
04-02-2007, 07:51 AM
You know i noticed my friends tend to understate the type of mountain biking we are going to do to. maybe they know I might back out. But once I am there I am stuck.

IntenseRide
04-02-2007, 08:38 AM

I look at my obstacles. I say, 'oh man look at that rock, I should go around that!' but because my eyes are on the rock, I go right into the rock. i couldn't get the habit of keeping my eyes ahead of me on the trail, on my path or line, and not on the things I had to maneuver around at my feet.

Also, I would hit roots or tree branches on the ground, manage to get my front tire over them, but then would get my pedal caught on it, bringing me to a stop.

Larger rocks and boulders embedded in the ground are stable and you should go right over them. Use them! Scan ahead then bring your eyes back to a couple of feet in front of your wheel, this will just be second nature soon. When you go over logs, lift up the front, by pulling back on the bars and lean back for a split second, then push over the obstacle by leaning forward a bit. This will come as second nature, especially leveling out your pedals so they don't strike anything. You'll learn to ratchet your pedals over stuff also...promise! Sit back off that saddle when coming down steeps, and learn to pull up the front end when going over stuff. Funny you call it the dark side. I just got a road bike to add to my stable of mountainbikes, does that mean I am entering the 'light' side? :D

AllezGirl
04-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Hey Kimmy!

Loved your report...especially since I'm going on my 2nd ever "real" trail ride Thursday (rain or shine :( ). I sold my old hardtail and bought a friend's FSR...so I'm pretty excited to see if full suspension is really "all that".

I did my first ride last summer down at Fairhills in DE. It was challenging, but not too technical....great for a beginner. Thursday, a friend is taking me to Pennypack. I'll let you know how that goes. Ruth, where else do you recommend?

(PS...I'll be getting my road bike back from CA next week..so maybe we can get some "lighter side" rides in after work :) )

Kimmyt
04-09-2007, 05:39 AM
Let me know how your 2nd ride went, Beth!

P.S. I am sucking it up and donning all my layers for the COS ride tonight... do you do those? I don't remember. If so, I'll see you there, if not I'll catch you in the future!

K.

rocknrollgirl
04-09-2007, 06:28 AM
Allezgirl,
I do not ride out there that much I live down the shore, so I ride places closer to home. I have ridden Fair Hills and Wissahickon. We have lots of nice places out this way if you and Kimmy ever want to cross the state line and meet me.

Ruth

Kimmyt
04-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I'm sensing a Mid-Atlantic Dirt Divas (and Dirt Divas In Training) Gathering!?

You know you wanna plan this Ruth.... :D

rocknrollgirl
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
Oh.. I would be all over that...just say the word and tell me what kind of ride you want to do.

Kimmyt
04-09-2007, 05:15 PM
Something fun and challenging but not impossible. Also preferably close to a good pub with microbrews on tap.

Priorities, you know.

AllezGirl
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Ditto. Count me in!

TrekJeni
04-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I love how you say you sucked! I'm sure you didn't suck as bad as you think you did! I'm sure you did way better than someone without any knowledge of how bikes work! You want to see someone that sucks?! Come ride with me! :D :D :D

I ride road and mtb and love my mtb way better. I'm always sore and worn out after two or three hours on the mtb. I belong to a race team (road) and never seem to get as hard of a workout at practice as I do out on the trails.

I told the boyfriend that next season I want to race off road and concentrate more on trails.... well see!

Keep up the good work. You'll get it.

Jeni