PDA

View Full Version : south end ride

mimitabby
03-31-2007, 06:51 PM
we're going to ride tomorrow; Teigyr and her DH and I. we are starting by car from my house (South Beacon Hill) about 930am. (That's sunday, April 1st.)

If you are interested, PM me.

Weather report: better than today's and we did not get wet today!

East Hill
04-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Well, I missed going with you guys, but I did go with my husband around Lake Youngs Reservoir. Saw three blacktail deer in one spot (including a little buck), and one single deer by himself in another spot, so my husband was happy (he loves seeing the deer) about that. He's still looking to spot a bear (yes, they've been seen around the perimeter of the reservoir).

A good ride, and muddy to boot! Perfect for those mountain bike rides.

East Hill

mimitabby
04-02-2007, 05:56 AM
we saw some cormorants.
your ride sounds very pretty.
That wind and cold wore me out fast. Teigyr, on the other hand, seemed to thrive on it!

East Hill
04-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Strangely, it wasn't that bad around the reservoir. No wind, and not that cold. I think the trees managed to buffer everything. I can see that being a different story on the Interurban though. In fact, I can see it being downright wretched on the Interurban :p .

Teigyr must be tough! It's probably a good thing I didn't join you yesterday, I'm pretty slow...:D .

East Hill

mimitabby
04-02-2007, 06:51 AM
According to the National Weather Observatory (NOOA) ( no idea what the letters mean) there were 18mph winds and sustained of 12mph or something like that!!

Did you see the Mixte on Ebay? it's beautiful!!!

East Hill
04-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Are you talking about the lovely Mercian? That is very nice, indeed. A bit more than I'd want to pay, unless I could see it in person, though.

My husband and I decided that today we would go over to the credit union located at the Seattle P & DC (that was your starting point) and back. It's just over 27.5 miles for us. That was a good ride :) .

East Hill

mimitabby
04-02-2007, 11:37 AM
our starting point was actually the Boeing Customer Service BLDG parking lot on PacHwy.

you think 300 is too much for a Mercian?
It's too big, though, the rider was 5'7" and she had the seat down as low as it would
go (big 20" frame, I guess)

teigyr
04-02-2007, 11:39 AM
It was cold and I'd say the wind gusts were pretty substantial. No...no thriving here. If I thought about the wind, it'd be painful so I just put my mind somewhere else.

It was a great ride though and I look forward to doing it again!

mimitabby
04-02-2007, 11:40 AM
You're good Teigyr!!

:D :D :D

East Hill
04-02-2007, 11:09 PM
It's not so much that the Mercian is too expensive (it's not really!), but I know it's too big for me, and it would require shipping.

So, not for me this time!

A Mercian would be nice though :D .

East Hill

teigyr
04-03-2007, 07:51 AM
But noooo.....not so good yesterday. We went from Log Boom to Marymoor and decided to do the hill on the 520 trail. Keep in mind I had gone to spinning class earlier that day. We circled 'round figuring out how to get to the trail because of course we overlooked the obvious way and I made it about half way up before my legs gave out. I would've kept at it but realized my lovely compact double was already in the highest gear. OUCH! I can only explain it by the fact we rode sunday, I did spin class/weights on monday then we rode later that afternoon and the hill came after 13 miles. I am forgoing spin class today just to ride. We might try the hill again but I don't know...I am pretty sore.

As if all that wasn't enough, Sean finally fell! He got his clipless pedals with the bike and it seemed to come naturally to him. On the 520 hill, he slowed to wait for me then decided to stop and hang on to the fence so he wouldn't have to clip in. BIG mistake!

And I am still irked that I was in my highest gear. That doesn't bode well for my cycling!

mimitabby
04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
oh, I'm sorry you guys had a hill disaster! that's a mean hill! and I sure hope Sean is none the worse for wear.

teigyr
04-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Ok, mean hill I can be ok with. Sean's great...his first thought was for his bike which means he truly is a cyclist at heart. He just scuffed up his knee a bit. I'm still sore today so I may or may not try it again but trust me, that hill will not defeat me! To hear that it isn't easy makes me feel better about the whole thing because I was feeling pretty darned wussy. Thanks for the support! :)